Bilton (near Hull) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1794 from chapelry in Swine Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Wyton Ganstead and Wyton.
- Kingston upon Hull St Peter
- Bilton in Holderness
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
Bilton (near Hull)
- Parish registers: 1692
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Preston in Holderness
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BILTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Swine, union of Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Hull; containing 84 inhabitants. This place, called in Domesday book Biletone, at an early period gave name to a family resident here; and among subsequent owners of land occur the families of Knowles and Stanhope: the present chief proprietor is Viscount Downe. The township comprises 1180a. 29p. of land, tithe-free: the village is on the old turnpike-road, equidistant from Hull and Hedon. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Viscount Downe, the impropriator, and has a net income of £45; there is a glebe of 4½ acres. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small building of early English character, with a bell-turret; the interior is neat and appropriate, and contains a very old circular font.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Skirlaugh
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Provost of the Collegiate Church of St John, Beverley
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: South Holderness
- Poor Law Union: Skirlaugh
- Hundred: Holderness
- Province: York