Bilsdale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1745 from Helmsley with Sproxton, Rievaulx and Carlton Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Chopgate, Chapgate, Chapelgate, Chapel Yate, Bilsdale West, Bilsdale Low Midcable, West Side, Bilsdale High, Bilsdale East-side, Crossett, Raisdale, Urra, and Bilsdale High-West-side.
- Bilsdale Kirkham
- Bilsdale Midcable
- Bilsdale Priory
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1590
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kirkdale with Nawton
- Kirby in Cleveland
- Helmsley with Sproxton, Rievaulx and Carlton
- Ingleby Greenhow
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BILSDALE-MIDCABLE, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Helmsley; containing, with Bilsdale-Kirkham, 738 inhabitants. This place is on the east side of Ryedale, and includes the hamlets of Crosett and Chapel-Yate; it comprises by computation 8380 acres, of which a large portion is high moorland. The chapel, built about 20 years since, and dedicated to St. Hilda, is a neat structure with a square tower: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Helmsley, and has a net income of £91. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. Upon Studfast hill, in this district, the site of a Druids’ temple was discovered in 1824.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Helmsley
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Riddal
- Poor Law Union: Helmsley
- Hundred: Ryedale
- Province: York