Bilbrough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1695
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1631
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BILBROUGH, a parish, in the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York, 4¼ miles (N. E.) from Tadcaster; containing 216 inhabitants. It is situated on the road between Tadcaster and York, and comprises by computation 1410 acres of generally fertile land: the village, which is small but pleasant, is seated on an eminence at a short distance from the road. A chantry was founded here in 1492, by John Norton, lord of the place, who ordained that £4. 6. 8., in land and inclosure, should be paid to Sir William Dryver, priest, and his successors, to pray for the souls of the founder, his wife, and children. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of T. L. Fairfax, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £270. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Thomas, Lord Fairfax, the celebrated parliamentary general, who died in 1671, was interred in the church.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Tadcaster
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: New Ainsty
- Poor Law Union: Barwick Gilbert Union
- Hundred: York (Ansty)
- Province: York