Bessingby, Yorkshire Family History Guide

Bessingby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Magnus

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1698
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Boynton
  • Carnaby
  • Bridlington Quay
  • Bridlington

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BESSINGBY (St. Magnus), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Bridlington; containing 66 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Bridlington to Driffield, and a short distance from Bridlington bay, which stretches on the east; it comprises about 1230 acres of land, the property of Harrington Hudson, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and resides at Bessingby Hall. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Hudson, with a net income of £59: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1766. The church, rebuilt in 1766, contains several handsome monuments to the Hudson family, one of them a fine basso-relievo of a female expiring in the arms of her attendants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Yorkshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bridlington
  • Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
  • Diocese: York
  • Rural Deanery: Dickering
  • Poor Law Union: Bridlington
  • Hundred: Dickering
  • Province: York