Beeston is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1723 from Leeds St Peter Ancient Parish; located on Town Street.
Alternative names: Leeds St Mary, Town Street
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1720
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- New Wortley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BEESTON, a township-chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and West Riding railway, within the borough of Leeds, 2¼. miles SSW of the town of Leeds. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leeds. Acres, 1,535. Real property, £8,607, of which £2,100 are in mines. Pop., 2,547. Houses, 537. Extensive coal mines here were worked from the time of Charles II.; but have become partly exhausted. There are woollen and iron manufactures. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £189. Patron, the Vicar of Leeds. The church is very old; and there are two Methodist chapels.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BEESTON, a township and chapelry, in the parish of St. Peter, within the liberty of the borough of Leeds, and locally in the wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Leeds; the township containing 2175 inhabitants. This township comprises by computation 1409 acres. The surface is varied, rising into eminences of considerable elevation, and the scenery is pleasingly diversified; the substratum abounds with coal of good quality, which has been wrought for more than two centuries, and of which several mines are still in operation. The village is on an eminence commanding a view of the town of Leeds, and the surrounding country; the air is remarkably salubrious, and several of the houses are neatly built. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries and in the woollen manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Leeds, with a net income of £189, and a glebe-house. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure in the early English style, of which, notwithstanding numerous alterations and repairs, it still retains some well-executed details; in the east window are some remains of stained glass. A pewter flagon and a plate of the same material have been used in the celebration of the communion ever since the reign of Richard I.; the cup is of silver, very ancient in form, but without a date. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and some small bequests are distributed among the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Hunslet
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
- Rural Deanery: Pontefract
- Poor Law Union: Carlton Gilbert Union
- Hundred: Leeds Borough
- Province: York