Batley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: White See, White Lee, Upper Batley, Staincliffe, Purlwell, New Roadside, New Road Side, New Batley, Kilpinhill, Kelpin Hill, Healey, Havercroft, Clarkgreen, Clark Green, Churwell, Chapel Fold, Carlinghow, Capas Height, Brownhill, and Brookroyd.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Calvinist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian Unitarian, Primitive Methodist, Protestant Dissenters, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Batley
- Dewsbury Moor St John
- Dewsbury All Saints
- Batley Carr
- Hanging Heaton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BATLEY, a town, a township, and a subdistrict in the district of Dewsbury, and a parish in the districts of Dewsbury and Hunslet, W. R. Yorkshire. The town adjoins the Leeds and Manchester railway, 1¾ mile N by E of Dewsbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leeds. It is remarkable only as a seat of manufacture; but evinces much public spirit, and has a lecture hall, with mechanics’ institution, erected in 1853. Pop., 7,206. Houses, 1,480. The township includes also the hamlets of Brownhill, Brookroyd, Carlinghow, Clark-Green, Havercroft, Chapel-Fold, Healey, Staincliffe, White See, Kelpin-Hill, Capas-Height, Purlwell, and new Roadside, and part of the hamlet of Batley-Carr. Acres, 2,140. Real property, £38,795. Pop., 14,173. Houses, 2,956. The subdistrict is conterminate with the township. The parish includes also the townships of Morley, Gildersome, and Churwell. Acres, 6,446. Real property, £69,308. Pop., 25,278. Houses, 5,260. The property is subdivided. The manufacture of cloths, carpets, and other fabrics from “shoddy,” or the reduced substance of old woollen rags, is here carried on to a great extent; and there are upwards of twenty-two factories. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patrons, Earl Cardigan and Earl Wilton. The church is later English. The p. curacy of St. Thomas is a separate charge, constituted in 1868. The vicarages of Morley and Gildersome, and the p. curacy of Staincliffe, also are separate. There are a handsome Independent chapel of 1856, an elegant Wesleyan chapel of 1861, four other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar school, a workhouse, and charities £237.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Ackroyd James, Batley, Yorkshire, carpenter and wheelwright, Oct. 9, 1840.
Ineson Benjamin, Batley, Yorkshire, cloth manufacturer, July 24, 1840.
Newsome Samuel, Batley, Yorkshire, woollen manufacturer, Dec. 12, 1828.
Popplewell Frank, Batley, Yorkshire, blanket manufacturer, March 14, 1843.
Roberts Thomas, Churwell, Batley, Yorkshire. woolstapler, March 3, 1829.
Storr John, Churwell, Batley, Yorkshire, clothier, May 22, 1821.
Civil Registration District: Dewsbury
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Batley
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Dewsbury
Hundred: Agbrigg; Morley