Barton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1840 from Barton St Cuthbert Ecclesiastical Parish and Barton St Mary Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Stapleton, Newton Morrell, Newton Morrel, Barton St Mary, and Barton St Cuthbert.
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Separate registers exist for Barton St Cuthbert
- Parish registers: 1582
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1616
Separate registers exist for Barton St Mary
- Parish registers: 1619
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1637
- Middleton Tyas
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTON, a township and a parish in Darlington district and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on a tributary of the river Tees, 4½ miles W of Croft r. station, and 5 SW of Darlington; and has a post office under Darlington. Acres, 2,177. Real property, £4,546. Pop., 507. Houses, 117. The parish includes also the township of Newton-Morrel and part of the township of Stapleton. Acres, 2,790. Real property, with the rest of Stapleton, £7,012. Pop., 584. Houses, 132. Limestone occurs. The parish is a meet for the Raby hounds. The living is a double vicarage of Barton-St. Cuthbert and Barton-St. Mary, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £110. Patrons, the vicar of Stanwick and the vicar of Gilling.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Darlington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Richmond
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Richmond
Poor Law Union: Darlington
Hundred: East Gilling