Barningham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Scargill, Newsham near Kirkby Ravensworth, Newsham, and Hope.
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1581
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1674
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kirkby Ravensworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARNINGHAM, a township in the district of Teesdale, and a parish partly also in the district of Richmond N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on a tributary of the Tees, near Arkengarth forest, 5½ miles SE of Barnard-Castle r. station; and has a post office under Darlington. Acres, 3,454. Real property, £3,350. Pop., 307. Houses, 78. The parish includes also the townships of Scargill and Hope; and part of the township of Newsham. Acres, 10,771. Real property, with the rest of Newsham, £8,998. Pop., 526. Houses, 129. Much of the surface is upland moor. Barningham Park is the seat of the Milbanks. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £553. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Teesdale
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Richmond, Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Arkengarthdale with New Forest and Hope
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Richmond
Poor Law Union: Teesdale
Hundred: West Gilling