Balby with Hexthorpe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1846 from Doncaster St George Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Balby, Doncaster St John the Evangelist
Other places in the parish include: Hexthorpe.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1848
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1848
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Doncaster Christ Church
- Doncaster [St George]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BALBY-WITH-HEXTHORPE, a township-chapelry in Doncaster parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Don 2 miles SW of Doncaster r. station. It has a post office under Doncaster. Acres, 1,567. Real property, £4,844 Pop., 1,058. Houses, 241. Tanning, brickmaking, and sand-digging are largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £150. Patron, the Rev. R. J. Banks. The church was built in 1847. There are a Wesleyan chapel of 1868, a P. Methodist chapel, and a national school. The Quakers, under George Fox held their first meetings here.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Balby, in the township of Hexthorpe-with-Balby, parish and soke of Doncaster, lower division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 1¼ mile from Doncaster, 5 ¾ from Tickhill, 10 ¾ from Rotherham.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Civil Registration District: Doncaster
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Doncaster
Hundred: Doncaster Soke