Attercliffe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1844 from Attercliffe cum Darnall Ecclesiastical Parish; located on Church Lane.
Alternative names: Sheffield Christ Church, Church Lane
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1719
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1819
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Sheffield St Peter and St Paul
- Brightside All Saints
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ATTERCLIFFE, a chapelry, a township, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Sheffield, W. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the Rotherham railway, the Tinsey canal, and the river Don, 1½ mile NE by E of Sheffield, and within that town's borough boundaries; and was constituted in 1847. Rated property £7,306. Pop., 5,061. Houses, 1,059. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £180. Patron, the Vicar of Sheffield. The church was built in 1826, at a cost of £12,800; and is in the later Gothic style. There are four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel built in 1868 at a cost of £4,700, a newsroom, two public schools, and charities £36.-The township is conjoined with Darnall; and has a post office, of the name of Attercliffe, under Sheffield. Acres, 1,270. Real property, £15,412. Pop., 7,464. Houses, 1,554. The inhabitants are chiefly cutlers, mechanics, and colliers. Cast-steel was first made here; and cannel coal is mined. Attercliffe Hall is the seat of J. Milner, Esq. An abrupt precipice overhangs the Don, and probably gave name to the township. Archbishop Secker was educated at Attercliffe dissenting academy. The subdistrict is conterminate With the township.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Sheffield
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Sheffield
Hundred: Strafforth and Tickhill