Aston cum Aughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Ulley and Aughton.
Alternative names: Aston, Aston with Aughton
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Wales, Yorkshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASTON-WITH-AUGHTON, a township and a parish in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Rother, 2 miles SSW of Beighton r. station, and 5 E of Rotherham; and has a post office, of the name of Aston, under Rotherham. Real property, £7,105, of which £2,002 are in mines. Pop., 995. Houses, 195. The parish includes also part of the township of Ulley. Acres, 2,915. Real property, with the rest of Ulley, £8,569. Pop., 1,032. Houses,-203. The property is sub-divided. The manor belonged formerly to the D’Arcys, and belongs now to the Duke of Leeds. A. Hall is the seat of T. Tillotson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £760. Patron, the Duke of Leeds. The church is ancient, and contains a monument to Lord D’Arcy and his three wives, a splendid screen, and a Norman font. There are Methodist chapels, national schools, and charities £37. The Rev. William Mason, the editor of Gray’s poems and the author of “Isis” and other poems of his own, was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Rotherham
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Rotherham
Hundred: Strafforth and Tickhill