Arncliffe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Yockenthwait, Trenholme, Raisgill, Oughtershaw, Litton, Hesleden, Hawkswith, Hawkswick, Hawkeswick, Foxup, Deepdale, Cray, Buckden with Cray, Deepdale, Yockenthwaite, Beggar-monds and Hubberholme, and Beggarmonds.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1669
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Kirkby Malham
- Halton Gill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARNCLIFFE, a township and a subdistrict in the district of Settle, and a parish chiefly in that district but partly also in the district of Skipton, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, 10 miles NE of Settle r. station, and has a post office under Skipton. Acres, 5,790. Real property, £1,884. Pop., 174. Houses, 36. The subdistrict comprises also the townships of Hawkeswick, Litton, and Halton-Gill. Acres, 20,797. Pop., 405. Houses, 87. The parish includes also the township of Buckden. Acres, 34,021. Real property, £12,099. Pop., 740. Houses, 159. The property is considerably divided. Much of the land is hilly and moorish; but many spots, near the streams, are low and pleasant. Manufacturing industry, in textile fabrics, employed many of the inhabitants, but has much declined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £36. Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is old, and has been carefully restored. The p. curacies of Halton-Gill and Hubberholme are separate incumbencies. A school has £28 from endowment, and other charities £34.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Settle
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Craven
Poor Law Union: Settle
Hundred: Staincliff and Ewcross