Armley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1729 from chapelry in Leeds St Peter Ancient Parish; located on Church Road.
Alternative names: Leeds St Bartholomew
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1664
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Moravian/United Brethren, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
- Leeds St Andrew
- New Wortley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARMLEY, a township-chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Bradford railway, the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and the river Aire, 1¾ mile W of Leeds. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leeds. Acres, 907. Real property, £16,744. Pop., 6,734. Houses, 1,491. A number of factories, in various departments of the woollen-trade, are on the banks of the river. Armley Park, the seat of the Gott family, and Leeds borough gaol, are near the railway station. A Danish camp, called Giants’ Hill, was an object of much antiquarian interest; but was cut through at the forming of the canal, and has been nearly effaced. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £204. Patron. the Vicar of Leeds. The church is a plain edifice; and there are four dissenting chapels.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hunslet
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Carlton Gilbert Union
Hundred: Leeds Borough