Arkengarthdale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1733 from chapelry in Startforth Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Seal-houses, Langthwaite, Langwaite, Eskelith, Dale Head, Booze, Arkle, and Whaw.
Alternative names: Arkengarth Dale
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1726
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1770
Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kirkby Ravensworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARKENGARTH-DALE, a parish in Reeth district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ark, 2 miles NW of Reeth, and 10 W of Richmond r. station. It includes the hamlets of Arkle, Booze, Langthwaite, Eskelith, Seal-Houses, Whaw, and Dale-Head; and its Post Town is Reeth, under Richmond. Acres, 14,256. Real pro perty, £7,320, of which £2,647 are in lead mines. Pop., 1,147. Houses, 249. The lead mines belong to Sir J. Lowther, Bart.; and the other property is much subdivided. The mines were worked so early as the time of King John; and are still so valuable as to have been estimated, a few years ago, at an annual produce of 2,000 tons. Barytes and witherite ores are found. Much of the land is moor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £123. Patron, Sir J. Lowther, Bart. The church is good; and there are a Methodist chapel, and charities £37.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Reeth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries – Richmond, Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Arkengarthdale with New Forest and Hope
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Richmond
Poor Law Union: Reeth
Hundred: West Gilling