Ardsley West is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Alternative names: West Ardsley, Woodkirk
Other places in the parish include: Topcliffe near Wakefield, Topcliffe, Tingley, Leefair, Haigh Moor, Westerton, Topcliffe and Dunningley, Tingley, Leefair, Haigh Moor, and Dunningley.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1652
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Dewsbury All Saints
- Ossett cum Gawthorpe
- Hanging Heaton
- Ardsley East
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARDSLEY (West), or Woodkirk, a parish in Wake field district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Wakefield railway, at Ardsley station, 5 miles NW of Wakefield. It includes six hamlets, and has a post office, of the name of West Ardsley, under Wakefield. Acres, 2,250. Real property, £5,139. Pop., 1,646. Houses, 335. Coal is worked, and bricks are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value,. £265. Patron, the Earl of Cardigan. The church was rebuilt in 1831. There are two Methodist chapels, a partially endowed school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wakefield
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Pontefract
Poor Law Union: Wakefield