Appleton Wiske is a chapelry of Great Smeaton Ancient Parish in Yorkshire.
Alternative names: Appleton upon Wiske
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1596
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- High Worsall
- West Rounton
- Kirk Levington
- Great Smeaton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
APPLETON-WISKE, or Appleton-upon-Wiske, a chapelry and a subdistrict, in the district of Northallerton, N. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the river Wiske, 3 miles NW of Welbury r. station, and 7½ NNE of Northallerton; and it has a post office under Northallerton. Acres, 1,827. Real property, £2,300. Pop., 466. Houses, 119. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the rectory of Great Smeaton in the diocese of Ripon. The church is very bad. The subdistrict comprises six parishes, and parts of three other parishes. Acres, 26,590. Pop., 2,952. Houses, 620.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Northallerton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Richmond
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Richmond
Poor Law Union: Northallerton