Appleton le Street is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Amotherby is a chapelry of Appleton le Street.
Other places in the parish include: Swinton near New Malton, Swinton, Hildenley, Hieldenly, Easthorpe, Broughton near New Malton, and Broughton.
Alternative names: Appleton le Street with Amotherby
Riding: North Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1715
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Bulmer with Welburn and Castle Howard
- Kirby Misperton
- Old Malton
- Barton le Street
- Huttons Ambo
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
APPLETON-LE-STREET, a township and a parish in Malton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Roman road to Aldborough, near the river Rye, 3½ miles WNW of New Malton r. station. Acres, 1,140. Real property, £1,815. Pop., 185. Houses, 36. The parish contains also the townships of Swinton, Broughton, Amotherby, and Hildenley. Post Town, New Malton. Acres, 4,715. Real property, £8,117. Pop., 987. Houses, 213. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £515. Patron, the Rev. J. J. Peach. The church has an early Norman tower, contains two recumbent effigies, and was recently restored in a manner incongruous with its date and style. Charities, £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Malton
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Riddal
Poor Law Union: Malton