Anston cum Membris is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1736 from Laughton en le Morthen Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Anston
Other places in the parish include: Woolsetts, South Anston, North Anston, and Membris.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1544
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Thorpe Salvin
- Carlton in Lindrick
- Worksop St Mary and St Cuthbert
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ANSTON, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Worksop, and W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Chesterfield canal, about 1 mile N of Kiveton Park r. station, and 10 ESE of Sheffield; is divided into North and South Auston; and has a post office, of the name of South Auston, under Rotherham. Pop., 1,126. Houses, 237. The parish is called Anston cum-Membris; and includes also the township of Woodsetts. Acres, 4,490. Real property, exclusive of Woodsetts, £4,820. Pop., 1,290. Houses, 279. The property is divided among a few. Nail-making and starch making are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £280. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is good. The subdistrict comprises seven parishes. Acres, 16,580. Pop., 3,222. Houses, 679.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The people listed below were sent to the debtors prison.
John Edeson late of Auston near Rotherham Yorkshire Miller In the Gaol of York – The London Gazette Saturday the 25th day of January 1851
Civil Registration District: Worksop
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Chancellor of York with the Prebendal Jurisdiction of Laughton en le Morthen
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Worksop
Hundred: Strafforth and Tickhill