Allerton Mauleverer is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hopperton, Clareton, and Allerton Mauleverer with Hopperton.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Martin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1670
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Allerton Mauleverer
- Great Ouseburn
- Little Ouseburn
- Marton cum Grafton
Historical Descriptions of Allerton Mauleverer
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLERTON-MAULEVERER, a township and a parish in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township includes Hopperton; and lies on an affluent of the Nidd, at the Allerton r. station, 4½ miles ENE of Knaresborough. Pop., 261. Houses, 52. The parish includes also the township of Clareton. Post Town, Whixley under York. Acres, 2,300. Real property, £3,639. Pop., 283. Houses, 55. The property is all in one estate. It belonged anciently to the family of Mauleverer; passed to Lord Galloway; and was sold, since 1785, to successively the Duke of York, Colonel Thornton, and Lord Stourton. The mansion on it, the seat of Lord Stourton, is a superb structure, and was called some time Thornville-Royal, but now Allerton-Mauleverer House. Clare hill, on the estate, is a remarkable eminence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £63. Patron, Lord Stourton. The church is tolerable. The Roman Catholics have a chapel, a school, and a cemetery. An alien Benedictine priory was founded here in the time of Henry II., and given by Henry VI. to King's College, Cambridge.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Allerton-Mauleverer, a parochial chapelry in the upper division of the wapentake of Claro, west riding of York. Living, a perpetual curacy formerly in the archd. of Richmond and dio. of Chester, now in the dio. of Ripon; rated at £8, and in the parliamentary returns at £28; gross income £65. There is a National school here. Patron, in 1835, Lord Stourton. It contains the townships of Allerton-Mauleverer with Hoppeton and Clareton. Pop., in 1801, 290; in 1831, 251. Houses 44. Acres 2,300. A. P. £4,745. The township of Allerton-Mauleverer is 5 miles east by north of Knaresborough; on the great post-road from Pontefract to Richmond. The township and parish derive their names from the ancient family of Mauleverer. "There was formerly here an alien priory to the abbey of Marmousteir at Tours in France, to which the church of St Martin was given by Richard Maleverer, and confirmed to them by Henry II. After the dissolution of these foreign cells, Henry VI. gave this to King's college in Cambridge." — Tanner's Not. Mon. There is a Roman Catholic school here. Pop. of the township with Hoppeton, in 1801, 182; in 1831, 231. Houses 42. A. P. £4,265. Poor rates, in 1837, £136.— The family-seat of the Mauleverers, called Thornville-Royal, is in the neighbourhood. In 1786 it was sold by Lord Galway to the duke of York. It afterwards became the property of Colonel Thornton, from whom Lord Stourton purchased it for £163,800. It consists of 4,125 acres, with a superb mansion and park. Claro hill, a remarkable eminence, from which the wapentake has derived its name, stands on the northern side of the park.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Allerton-Mauleverer with Hopperton, 4 miles E. Knaresborough. P. 277
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Baines History Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York 1822
Allerton-Mauleverer, (P.) in the wap. of Claro, 5 miles E. of Knaresborough, for many ages the seat of a family of that name; it was purchased of Viscount Galway by the Duke of York, in the year 1786, who sold it to Col. Thornton, in the year 1789, by whom it was sold to Lord Stourton, in 1805, and it is at present possessed and occupied by his Lordship. At this place was formerly a priory of Benedictines, founded by Richard Mauleverer, in the reign of Henry II. but the convent was dissolved in the reign of Henry VI. and its revenues settled on King’s College, Cambridge. Pop. 276.
Source: History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York by Edward Baines. Printed and Published by Edward Baines, at the Leeds Mercury office; and sold by Hurst and Robinson, 90, Cheapside, London, and all other booksellers. 1822.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Knaresborough
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Eastern Deaneries - Boroughbridge
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Boroughbridge
Poor Law Union: Great Ouseburn Gilbert Union