Aldbrough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: West Newton with Burton Constable, West Newton, Tanston, Tansterne, Tanstern, Ringborough, Little Cowden, Great and Little Cowdens, Fosham and Carlton, Fanstern, Etherdwick, East Newton with Ringborough, East Newton, Colden Parva, Carlton with Fosham, Burton Constable, Bewick, and Aldbrough with Bewick, Carlton with Fosham, Etherdwick and Tanstern.
Riding: East Riding
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Garton in Holderness with Grimston
- Humbleton with Elsternwick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDBROUGH, or Aldburgh, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Skirlaugh, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, 8 miles NNE of Hedon r. station, and 13½ E of Beverley; has a post office under Hull; and includes the hamlets of Bewick, Carlton-with-Fosham, Etherdwick, and Fanstern. A fair is held on 4 Sep. Acres, 4,911. Real property, £6,020. Pop., 831. Houses. 191. The parish includes also the townships of East Newton and West Newton. Acres, 6,319. Real property, £10,147. Pop., 1,095. Houses, 228. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £476. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and tolerable, and has a curious Danish monumental stone. The p. curacy of Colden-Parva is a separate benefice. Towrie's charity, founded in 1653, has an income of £200, and includes almshouses and school. There is a Wesleyan chapel.-The subdistrict comprises two entire parishes and part of a third. Acres, 10,669. Pop., 1,735. Houses, 373.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Aldbrough Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aldbrough, 6½ m. S. Hornsea. P. 1119
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Aldbrough The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aldbrough, a parish in the middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, union of Skirlaugh, east riding of Yorkshire; bordering on the Northern sea. It contains the townships ot Aldbrough, East and West Newton, and part of Cawden. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of the east riding and dio. of York; rated at £13 15s.; gross income £185. Patron, the Crown. Here are also a chapel for the Wesleyan Methodists, and an hospital for poor widows belonging to Beverley and Aldbrough. The principal charity connected with this parish is that of Robert Towrie, founded in 1653, the yearly produce of which is £200, of which £18 are spent in apprenticing poor children. About 33 boys and girls are educated; about £14 is laid out in buying blankets and coals for the poor in winter, and the balance is distributed among the poor. Pop., in 1801. 781; in 1831, 1,015. Houses 213. Acres 5,240. A. P. £10,913 The township of Aldbrough is a flourishing village at the distance of 11½ miles north-east by east from Kingston-on-Hull. Pop., in 1801, 555; in 1831, 813. Houses 179. Acres 3,880. A. P. £5,832. Poor rates, in 1837, £574.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Aldbrough Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Aldbrough, a parish town, in the middle division of Holderness; 7 miles from Hornsea, 8 from Hedon, 12 from Hull, 52 from York. – Pop. including Carlton and Fosham, 802, which being united, form a township. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, in the deanery of Holderness, value, £13 15s. Patron, the King.
At Aldbrough, is a Saxon inscription engraved on a circular stone, 15 ½ inches in diameter, fixed over a pillar on the south side of the nave, which runs round the margin of the stone. It commemorates the time of its erection; and may be read in English, “Ulf commanded this church be erected for the souls of Hanum and Gunthard.” See particular account of this inscription in the Archaeologia. Vol. 6. in a letter from J. C. Brooke, Esq. to the Society of Antiquaries, on the authority of the Rev. Mr. Dade of Barmston. The church, from repairs at various periods, has now a modern appearance. Mr. Pegge, in vol. 7. of the same work, assigns very plausible reasons for its not being of Saxon erection: he supposes, “that Ulf built a church, which in a few years, and by some means now unknown, was destroyed, and lay in ruins in 1080; and when the present fabric was erected, the old stone, with its inscription, which had happily been preserved, was put up in the new structure and in the place it now occupies.”
Of the old castle which, with the Lordships, belonged to William le Gros, Earl of Albermarle, who was at the battle of the standard, in 1138, not a vestige is to be seen. Tradition says, it stood northward of the church, but an enclosure which took place some years ago, has quite levelled the foundations; and the Well, which was within the castle and supplied it with water, is now near the high road. The Roman road from the Praetorium to the Gabrantovicorum Sinus Portuosus vel Salutaris of Ptolemy, runs through Aldbrough. – Archaeol. Vol. 6.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Civil Registration District: Skirlaugh
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York, Court of the Peculiar of Aldbrough
Rural Deanery: North Holderness
Poor Law Union: Skirlaugh