Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: Ellenthorpe, Ellingthorpe, Minskip
Riding: West Riding
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1634
- Myton on Swale
- Kirby on the Moor
- Marton cum Grafton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDBOROUGH, a decayed ancient town and a township in the district of Knaresborough, W. R. Yorkshire; and a parish chiefly in the same district, but partly in Ripon district, N. R. The town stands on the river Ure and on Watling-street, near the Boroughbridge and Pilmoor railway, 1 mile E by N of Boroughbridge; and it has a post office under York. It was the capital of the Brigantes, the Isurium of the Romans, and the Ealdburg of the Saxons. It became a borough in the time of Queen Mary; and it sent two members to parliament till disfranchised by the act of 1832. It anciently covered about 60 acres, within defensive walls about 12 feet thick; but it is now a mere village, irregularly built. Some vestiges of the walls remain; and many Roman coins, urns, utensils, and other relics have been found. A Roman citadel is supposed to have stood in its centre; a Roman bridge crossed the Ure contiguous to it; and Roman works of art, including sculptures, wall-paintings, baths, and fine pavements, have left sufficient remains in it to show that it must have been a scene of luxury and power during a considerable period of the Roman occupation. Many of the relics are preserved for the inspection of the curious. The parish church adjoins the site of the supposed citadel; is an edifice of some antiquity; and probably was built with materials from the ancient town. A statue of Mercury occurs in the outside of the vestry wall; and a gravestone, believed to be Saxon, is in the churchyard. Aldborough Hall is at the east gate of the ancient town; and Aldborough Manor is at the west gate. The township includes the village, and comprises 1,890 acres. Real property, £6,300. Pop., 522. Houses, 115. The parish includes also the townships of Boroughbridge, Rocliffe, Minskip, Ellenthorpe, and Lower Dunsforth, and parts of the townships of Humberton-with-Milby and Upper Dunsforth-cum-Branton-Green. Acres, 9,323. Real property of Aldborough, Boroughbridge, Rocliffe, Minskip, and Dunsforth townships, £17,002. Pop. of the parish, 2,279. Houses, 519. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £380. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The vicarages of Boroughbridge, Rocliffe, and Dunsforth are separate benefices.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Aldborough Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aldborough, 207 m. N.W. London. P. 2473
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Aldborough Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Aldborough, a parish town, in the lower division of Claro, a part in the liberty of St. Peter; 1 mile from Boroughbridge, 7 from Knaresbrough and Ripon, 16 from York. – Pop. 484. The Church, peculiar, is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanery of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, £9 19s. 5d. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of York.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Aldborough Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Aldborough, (Yorks. W. R.) a small and poor town, though it was a city in the time of the Romans, called Isurium Briganticum, and still sends 2 members to parliament. Many remains of Roman tesselated pavements, together with coins and other antiquities, are frequently found in the neighbourhood, and the ancient bounds of Isurium may still be traced. Distant from London 208 miles 1 furlong, and about 1 m from Boroughbridge.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807.
Civil Registration District: Knaresborough
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Boroughbridge
Poor Law Union: Great Ouseburn Gilbert Union