Adwick le Street is an Ancient Parish in the West Riding of the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hampole.
Parish church: St Laurence
Parish registers begin: 1547
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Adwick-le-Street, a township and a parish in an Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies an on Ermine-street and near the West Riding and Grimsby railway, 4 miles N W of Doncaster; and has a r. station. Acres, 1,614. Pop., 280. Houses, 61. The parish includes also the township of Hampole. Post Town, Doncaster. Acres, 3,034. Real property, £2,987. Pop., 440. Houses, 95. The manor belongs to S. A. Thellusson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £450. Patron, J. Fullerton, Esq. The church is good; and there are two Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £19.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Adwick-le-Street. 4 miles N.W. Doncaster. P. 554
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Adwick-Le-Street, a parish in the wapentake of Tickhill, union of Doncaster; 4 miles north-west of Doncaster, on the post-road to Pontefract, comprising the townships of Adwick-le- Street, Hamphall, and Stubbs. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of York; rated at £4 13s. 4d.; gross income £364. Patron, in 1835, J. Fullerton, Esq. The adjunct to the name of this place is derived from its situation on a Roman road. There are two National schools here. The sum of £16 10s. is annually given for the education of ten poor children of this parish, by the bequest of the Rev. W. Hedges in 1811. Pop. of the township, in 1831, 382. Houses 79. Pop. of the parish in 1801, 284; in 1831, 536. Houses 101. Acres 2,950. A. P. £4,456. Poor rates, in 1837, £84.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.