Adwick le Street is an Ancient Parish in the West Riding of the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hampole.
Parish church: St Laurence
Parish registers begin: 1547
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Adwick le Street
- South Kirkby
- Hooton Pagnell
- Doncaster St George
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Adwick-le-Street, a township and a parish in an Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies an on Ermine-street and near the West Riding and Grimsby railway, 4 miles N W of Doncaster; and has a r. station. Acres, 1,614. Pop., 280. Houses, 61. The parish includes also the township of Hampole. Post Town, Doncaster. Acres, 3,034. Real property, £2,987. Pop., 440. Houses, 95. The manor belongs to S. A. Thellusson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £450. Patron, J. Fullerton, Esq. The church is good; and there are two Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £19.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].Adwick le Street Methodist Church, Fern Bank Mill Lane, Adwick le Street. The copyright on this image is owned by Bill Henderson and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Adwick-le-Street. 4 miles N.W. Doncaster. P. 554
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Adwick-Le-Street, a parish in the wapentake of Tickhill, union of Doncaster; 4 miles north-west of Doncaster, on the post-road to Pontefract, comprising the townships of Adwick-le- Street, Hamphall, and Stubbs. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of York; rated at £4 13s. 4d.; gross income £364. Patron, in 1835, J. Fullerton, Esq. The adjunct to the name of this place is derived from its situation on a Roman road. There are two National schools here. The sum of £16 10s. is annually given for the education of ten poor children of this parish, by the bequest of the Rev. W. Hedges in 1811. Pop. of the township, in 1831, 382. Houses 79. Pop. of the parish in 1801, 284; in 1831, 536. Houses 101. Acres 2,950. A. P. £4,456. Poor rates, in 1837, £84.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Adwick-Le-Street Baines History Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York 1822
Adwick-Le-Street, (P.) in the wap. of Strafforth and Tickhill, and liberty of Tickhill; 4 miles NW. of Doncaster. The church is a very ancient building, of which the Rev. Leonard Jasper Hobson is incumbent. Population, 346.
Clark William, parish clerk
Hobson William, miller
Ibbotson Richard, surgeon
Littlewood John, gentleman
Pulley George, vict. Swan
Rimington Henry, gentleman
Roberts John, wheelwright
Simpson Ann, ladies’ boarding and day school
Sorby Joseph, gentleman
Watterton Rt. Esq. Woodland hall
Wild Thomas, vict. Plough
Workman Wm. chief constable
Source: History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York by Edward Baines. Printed and Published by Edward Baines, at the Leeds Mercury office; and sold by Hurst and Robinson, 90, Cheapside, London, and all other booksellers. 1822.
- County: Yorkshire
- Civil Registration District: Doncaster
- Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
- Diocese: York
- Rural Deanery: Doncaster
- Poor Law Union: Doncaster
- Hundred: Strafforth and Tickhill
- Province: York