Adel is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: West Breary, Eccup, East Breary, Cookridge, Arthington, Adel cum Eccup, and Addle cum Eccup with Brearey and Cookridge.
Alternative names: Addle
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1606
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Chapel Allerton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADDLE, or Adel, a township and a parish in Otley district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near Horsforth r. station, and 6 miles NNW of Leeds; and it is joined to Eccup, forming Addle-cum-Eccup. Acres, 4,576. Real property, £6,160. Pop., 801. Houses, 145. The parish contains also the township of Arthington. Post Town, Horsforth under Leeds. Acres, 6,356. Real property, £9,900. Pop., 1,145. Houses, 208. The Leeds waterworks are within Addle township. Remains of the Roman town Burgodunum and other antiquities, are on Rumbold's moor, 1,808 feet high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £623. Patron, John Murray, Esq. The church is a very fine Norman edifice, of date prior to 1100. The vicarage of Arthington is separate. Charities, £84.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Addle The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Addle, a parish in the wapentake of Skyrack, west riding of Yorkshire, comprising the townships of Addle-cum-Eccup and Arthington, and the hamlets of Breary and Cookridge. It is 4 miles north-west from Leeds, and within the parliamentary borough-bouudaries of that town. Living, a rectory, formerly in tne archd. and dio. of York, now in the dio. of Ripon; rated at £16 3s. 4d.; gross income £658. The church is thought to be one of the finest specimens of Norman architecture extant. Patron, in 1835, Major General Davy. There is a free school here with a small endowment, and a National school. By the bequest of Thomas Kirk in 1701, the sum of £73 10s. is annually distributed to the poor of the parish. There are also two other inconsiderable charities. There is a small flax-mill. Pop., in 1801, 1,028; in 1831, 1,063. Houses 189. Acres 6,350. A. P. £7.370. Poor rates of Addle-cum-Eccup, in 1837, £275 The remains of a Roman town were discovered in the adjacent moor in 1702, and a vast number of antiquities have since been discovered. It is supposed to be the ancient Burgodunum.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Adel or Addle Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Adel or Addle, a parish town, in the upper division of Skyrack; 4 miles from Harewood, 5 from Leeds, 7 from Otley, 24 from York. – Pop. Including Eccup, 609, which being united, form a township. The church is a rectory, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, in the deanery of the Ainsty, value, £16 3s. 4d. Patron, W. G. Davy, Esq. in right of his wife.
Adel or Addle, or “the Adhill of the Liber Regis, which probably gives the true etymology of the word, the Hill of Ada, the first Saxon colonist of the place,” and supposed to be the Burgo-durum of the Romans; and from the great number of antiquities discovered here at different times, such as fragments of urns and other Roman vessels, monuments, pillars, aqueducts, inscriptions, &c. we may conclude it to have been a station of considerable importance. This station appears to have been about half a mile north of the church, for particulars of which, we must refer the reader to Thoresby and Whittaker. The Church of Adel, built not long before 1100, is one of the most perfect and beautiful specimens of Norman architecture in the county, particularly when we consider its exposed situation. The rich and highly adorned entrance of the south side, appears to have been freed, at the request of Dr. Whitaker, by the present rector, the Rev. George Lewthwaite, in whose possession are many antiquities found in the neighbouring station, mentioned above. An engraving of the south entrance, and another of the beautiful enriched arch entering the choir, are given in Whitaker’s Loidis et Elmete, as well as the Norman capitals, and two Roman altars.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Addle Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Addle (Yorks. W. R.) chiefly remarkable for an adjacent moor, on which were discovered (an. 1702) the outlines of a Roman town and camp, together with a large stone aqueduct, fragments of urns, sepulchral monuments, &c. This place is In the vicinity of Leeds.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807.
Civil Registration District: Otley
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Rural Deanery: Old Ainsty
Poor Law Union: Carlton Gilbert Union