Addingham Yorkshire Family History Guide

Addingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.

Riding: West Riding

Other places in the parish include: Beamsley.

Parish church: St. Swithin

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1612
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600

Nonconformists include:

  • Independent/Congregational
  • Primitive Methodist
  • Society of Friends/Quaker
  • Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Bolton Abbey
  • Fewston
  • Silsden
  • Ilkley
  • Skipton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ADDINGHAM, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township adjoins the river Wharfe, 4 miles NNW of Kildwick and Crosshills r. station, and 6 ESE of Skipton; and has a post office under Leeds. It formerly carried on much industry in cotton, worsted, and woollen factories; but began to suffer great reverses about 1835. Fairs are held on 22 March, 16 April, and 3 Oct. Acres, 4,293. Pop. in 1831, 2,179; in 1861, 1,859. Houses, 420. The parish includes also part of the township of Beamsley. Acres, 5,472. Real property, £7,478. Pop., 1,938. Houses, 440. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £360 Patron, Mrs. M. Cunliffe. The church is Norman, was restored in 1858, and stands in a beautiful situation. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £13. The subdistrict comprises all Addingham parish, and parts of two other parishes. Acres, 22,890. Pop., 3,157. Houses, 685.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Addingham Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Addingham, 5 miles E. S.E. Skipton. P. 1812

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Addingham The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Addingham, a parish and township, partly in the wapentake of Claro, and partly in that of Staincliffe, Skipton union, west riding of Yorkshire; 6 miles east by south of Ripton. The parish includes part of the township of Beamsley. Living, a discharged rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of York, now in the dio. of Ripon; rated at £9 7s. 8d., in the parliamentary return at £122 18s. 10d.; gross income £133. The church is much admired for its fine situation. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs Mary Cunliffe. There are here a Methodist chapel, and a Quaker meeting-house; also two National schools. The village of Addingham, in 1838, contained two worsted, one woollen, and two cotton-mills, employing 472 hands. The river Wharfe flows through this parish. Pop. of the township, in 1801, 1,157; in 1831, 2,179, and of the parish, 2,251. Houses 446. Acres 4,310. A. P. £6,117. Poor rates, in 1837, £410.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Addingham – Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822

Addingham, a parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford’s-Fee; 6 miles from Skipton, 7 from Keighley, 9 from Otley, 37 from York. – Pop. 1570. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanery of Craven, value, 9l. 7s. 8½d. p.r. 122l. 18s. 10d. Patroness, Mrs. Mary Cuncliffe.

The Church is one of the neatest in Craven, with the antique parsonage house, stands at an agreeable distance from the village, on a lingual of land, between the Wharf and the deep channel of a brook, which unites with it immediately beneath. – Whittaker.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court


Addingham Baines History Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York 1822

Addingham, (P.) in the wap. of Staincliffe and liberty of Clifford’s Fee; 6 miles E. of Skipton. This is a populous and thriving village, the inhabitants of which are chiefly employed in the manufacture of cotton. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is pleasantly situated on an eminence, near the river Wharf; it is an ancient structure, and the present rector is the Rev. John Coates; Mrs. Mary Cunliffe is patroness in her own right. Here is also a spacious and well-built Methodist Chapel, erected in 1778, which was enlarged in 1808; a small distance from this place there is a Meetinghouse for the people called Friends; and about one mile from hence are the remains of a Roman camp. Population 1570.

Post-master, Thos. Lister. Letters are delivered at 8 morning, and are sent off at 3 afternoon.

Cunliffe T. L. Holme house

Cunliffe William, Esq. Far field hall

Dean Ambrose, gentleman

Bond and Cockcroft, stuff mfrs.

Bradley James, millstone mfr.

Dawson Daniel, saddler

Fawcett W. and J., whitesmiths

Lister Thomas, tallow chandler

Mills James, plumber and glazier

Spencer Marmaduke, vict. King’s Arms

Spencer William, chemist & druggist

Will Richard, vict. Golden Fleece

Wall John and Thomas, corn millers

Whittam John and Co., warp sizers

Whittam and Co., worsted spinners

Wilkinson Henry, ironmonger


Braham Robert

Holden J. H.


Dean William

Robinson William

Bread bakers

Mallinson William

Wall Francis


Holmes John

Scurrow William

Calico mfrs.

Bland Anthony, (& draper)

Bond & Cockcroft

Briggs Richard

Cockshott Thomas

Cockshott John

Cockshott William

Cockshott Robert

Cockshott Henry

Dyson Saul

Fentiman Anthony and Sons

Robinson T. & Co.


Dixon George

Hodgson John

Smith William

Wood Isaac

Cattle Dealers

Whittam William

Whittam Thomas


Booker Michael

Steel Zaccheus

Grocers & Drapers

Atkinson Abm.

Brayshaw John

Cockshott S. & M.

Forton Bridget


Batty Edward

Dean John

Fawell Joseph

Lister George

Whittam Thomas

Stone masons

Barker Joseph

Barker Peter

Brear Francis

Brear James

Brear Samuel

Child Abraham

Emsley Geo.


Holmes John

King John


Drake Thomas

Schofield James

Whitaker James

Whitaker Francis


England John

Janson William

Lister James

 The Accommodation Coach to Leeds, Mon. Tu. Thur. and Sat. at 7 mg. to Skipton same days, at 8 evg.

Carriers. – Beanland Thomas

Beck Thos. to Manchester every Tues.

Brumfit Geo. to Skipton, daily

Lister Edward, to Skipton, daily

Wall Richard & Wingate Richard

Source: History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York by Edward Baines. Printed and Published by Edward Baines, at the Leeds Mercury office; and sold by Hurst and Robinson, 90, Cheapside, London, and all other booksellers. 1822.


Vision of Britain historical maps

Family History Links

Addingham History Pages -


County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Skipton
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 - Ripon, Pre-1836 - York
Rural Deanery: Craven
Poor Law Union: Skipton
Hundred: Claro; Staincliff and Ewcross
Province: York