Acomb is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Knaption in Acomb, Knapton, Drinkhouses, and Dringhouses.
Alternative names: Akeham
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Stephen
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1634
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1634
Separate registers exist for Dringhouses
- Parish registers: 1824
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1849
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Acomb
- Askham Bryan
- York St Olave with St Giles
- Nether Poppleton
- Moor Monkton
- York Holy Trinity Micklegate
- York St Mary Bishophill Junior
[su_gmap address="Acomb Yorkshire" zoom="11"]
Historical Descriptions of Acomb
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ACOMB, a township and a parish in York district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles W of York, and has a post office under that city. Acres, 1,440. Pop., 897. Houses, 195. The parish includes also most of the township of Knapton and part of the township of Drinkhouses, and is traversed by the North-eastern railway. Acres, 2,273. Real property, £5,361. Pop., 1,034. Houses, 226. The property is much sub divided. An eminence called Sivers' hill is traditionally said to have been the place where the body of the Emperor Severus was consumed to ashes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £190. Patron, F. Barlow, Esq. The church is old, but good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Асomb Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Асomb, 2 miles W. York. P. 872
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Acomb, or Akeham, a parish in the ainsty of the city of York; 2¼ miles west from York, comprising the townships of Acomb and Knapton. Living, a discharged vicarage and a peculiar of the dean and chapter of York; rated at £3 9s. 2d., and in the parliamentary return at £80; gross income £109. The patronage belonged, in 1835, to T. Tyreman, Esq. There is also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the village. The sum of £5 from Lady Hewley's charity for education, was applied to the education of ten poor children in this parish. Pop. of the township of Acomb, in 1801, 587; in 1831, 762; of the parish, in 1831, 882. Houses 186. Acres 7,330. A. P. £4,930. Poor rates, in 1837, £244. The great North of England railway intersects this parish. In the neighbourhood is an eminence called Sivers' hill, from a tradition that the body of the emperor Severus was brought from York, where he died, and here consumed to ashes; the remains being collected in a golden urn, or vessel of porphyry stone, and sent to Rome.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Acomb – Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Acomb, (Ainsty), a parish town, in the liberty of St. Peter; 2½ miles from York, 8½ from Tadcaster, 12¾ from Wetherby. – Pop. 733. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Stephen, value,3l. 9s. 2d. p.r. 80l. Patron, the Rev. Thomas Tireman.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Acomb Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808
Acomb, a parish in the liberty of York Ainstey, E. R. of York, 1½ miles from York city; containing 116 houses and 587 inhabitants. It is a vicarage, value 3l. 9s. 2d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Civil Registration District: York
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Acomb
Rural Deanery: New Ainsty
Poor Law Union: York
Hundred: York (Ansty)