Acaster Selby with Appleton Roebuck is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire. The parish comprises the townships of Acaster Selby and Appleton-Roebuck. Acaster Selby was formerly included in the parish of Stillingfleet, but was, by an Order in Council, dated 13th November, 1850, formed into a separate ecclesiastical district. In October 1875, the township of Appleton-Roebuck was detached from the parish of Bolton Percy and added to Acaster Selby, thereby forming the new parish of Acaster Selby-with-Appleton-Roebuck.
Alternative names: Nether-Acaster
Parish church: St John
Parish registers begin: 1850
Acaster-Selby, 7 miles N.W. Selby. P. incl in Stillingfleet
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Acaster-Selby, a township, in the parish of Stillingfleet, E. division of Ainsty wapentake, and W. riding of York, 7 ¼ miles (S. by W.) from York; containing 188 inhabitants. This place, which anciently belonged to the abbot of Selby, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the navigable river Ouse. A college for a provost and two or three fellows, one of whom was to instruct children, was founded here by Robert Stillington, the revenue of which, at the dissolution was £33. 10. 4. A school is aided by a small endowment. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Acaster-Selby, or Nether-Acaster, a township on the river Ouse, in that part of the parish of Stillingfleet which lies within the ainsty of the city of York. It is about 3 miles south of Over-Acaster, and 7 north-north-west from Selby, to the abbots of which place it belonged: hence its name. Tanner says: “A college for a provost and two or three fellows, one of whom was to teach school, was founded here by Robert Stillington. It was dedicated to St. Andrew; valued, 26° Henry VIII., at £33 10s. 4d. in the whole, and at £27 13s. 4d. per annum clearly; and the next year at £33 8s. 11d. d. clearly; and was granted 2° Edward VI., to John Hulse and William Pendred.” There is a free-school here, with an endowment of £7 7s. per annum. The Northern and Eastern railwav passes within 11 chains of the town. Pop, in 1801, 178; in 1831, 201. Houses 32. Acres 1,360. A. P. £2,017. Poor rates, in 1837, £175. Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Acaster Selby, (5) a township in the parish of Stillingfleet, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; but Acaster itself is situated in the Ainsty, on the west side of the river Ouse, 6 miles S. from York. Inhabitants, 188. This village was formerly a part of the possessions of the Abbot of Selby. Source: The New Yorkshire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary; Stephen Reynolds Clarke; London 1828
Acaster-Selby, (Ainsty) in the parish of Stillingfleet; 6 miles from Tadcaster and York, 8 from Selby. – Pop. 188. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Acaster-Selby, a township to the parish of Stillingfleet, in the liberty of York Ainsty, E. R. of York, 9 miles from York; contains 22 houses and 178 inhabitants. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Appleton-Roebuck, 1½ mile N.E. Bolton-Percy. P. 564 Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.