Acaster Malbis is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Alternative names: Over Acaster
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin: 1693
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Acaster-Malbis, 4 miles S. York. P. 1322
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Acaster-Malbis (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of York, partly in the Ainsty wapentake and W. riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of Ouze and Derwent, E. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from York; containing 148 inhabitants, of which number 322 are in the township of Acaster-Malbis. This place partly derives its name from the family of Malby, who flourished here for some centuries after the Conquest, until at length a daughter and heiress was married to Fairfax, of Walton, created Viscount Emley. It comprises by computation 1839 acres, and is intersected by the navigable river Ouse. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £56; patron and impropriator, Sir F. Lawley, Bart. A school is endowed with land given by John Knowles in 1603, which produces £29. 4. 7. per annum, and is vested in feoffees, who appoint fourteen poor children on the foundation.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Acaster-Malbis, or Over-Acaster, a parish, including a township of the same name, partly in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, east riding of York, and partly in the ainsty of the city of York, union of York; 3½ miles south of York, and about 1½ mile west of the line of the Northern and Eastern railway. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of York; rated at £5 6s. 5½ d., and in the parliamentary return of 1810 at £32 per annum; gross income £56. The windows of the chancel contain some curious stained glass figures. Patron, in 1835, F. Lawley, Esq. A college, with a provost and two or three fellows, was founded here by Robert Stillington, and dedicated to St Andrew, valued at £27 13s. 4d. per annum, nett. By the bequest of John Knowles, in 1603, the sum of £35 is yearly given, partly for the instruction of 14 poor children, and partly to the poor of the parish. The town derives its name from the Malbisse family, which flourished here for several centuries after the Norman conquest. Pop. in 1831, 707. Acres 4,500. A. P. £2,476. Poor rates, in 1837, £135.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Acaster Malbis, a parish and township in the Ainsty, 4½ miles S. from York; inhabitants, 291; a vicarage, value 5l.6s. 5½d.; patron, Paul Beilby Thompson, Esq. This parish contains the township of Naburn, in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent. Entire population, 657.
Source: The New Yorkshire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary; Stephen Reynolds Clarke; London 1828.
Acaster-Malbis, (Ainsty) a parish town; 4½ miles from York, 7 from Tadcaster – Pop. 291. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, value, pr. 32l. Patron, Paul Beilby Thompson, Esq. Bacon styles it a discharged vicarage, value, 5l. 6s. 5½d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Acaster-Malbis, a parish in York Ainsty, E. Riding of York, 7 miles from York; containing 46 houses and 265 inhabitants; seated on the river Ouse. It is a vicarage, value 5l. 6s. 5d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.