The County of Yorkshire

Last updated on March 31st, 2017

Is bounded, North by Durham and Westmoreland, East by the German Ocean, South by Chester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, and Lincolnshire, and West by Westmoreland and Lancashire. It is the largest county in England, being about 130 miles long, and about 90 miles broad. It is divided into three Ridings: the East, the West, and the North; and these are sub-divided into Wapentakes. The North-Riding has the 12 wapentakes of Allertonshire, Birdforth, Bulmer, Gilling (East), Gilling (West), Hallikeld, Hang (East), Hang (West), Liberty of Langburgh (East Division), Liberty of Langburgh (West Division), Pickering-Lythe, wapentake of Rydale. The East-Riding has the 6 wapentakes of Buckrose, Dickering, Harthill, Holderness, Howdenshire, and Ouse and Derwent. The West-Riding has the 9 wapentakes of Abridge, Barkston-Ash, Claro, Morley, Osgoldcross, Skyrack, Staincliff, Strafforth, and Tickhill. Rivers: the Ure, or Ouse, the Wiske, the Swale, the Nid, the Derwent, the Calder, the Aire, the Don, the Humber, and the Ribble. It has 69 Market-Towns. It is in the Province and Diocese of York, and in the Northern Circuit. It contains 5961 square miles, or 3,814,940 acres. Population, 1,553,159.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Yorkshire Towns & Parishes

Continue reading “The County of Yorkshire”

Northallerton Yorkshire – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

NORTHALLERTON, a parliamentary borough and market and post town of Yorkshire, the chief town of the N. Riding of Yorkshire, 31 miles N.W. from York. It has a Gothic church in the form of a cross, numerous chapels for nonconformists, a free grammar school, sessions-house, a house of correction, a hospital, and several almshouses. In the neighbourhood is Standard Hill, where the Battle of the Standard was fought in 1138, between the Scotch and English, in which the former were defeated. Manf. Bricks, tiles, linen goods, leather, and beer. Mar. D. Wed. P0p. 4755. It is a station on the North-Eastern Railway, 44 miles from Leeds, and the point from which a branch of the same railway runs to Bedale and Leyburn.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

Normanton Yorkshire – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

NORMANTON, a parish, post town, and important railway centre of England, in the W. Riding of Yorkshire, about 10 miles S. E. from Leeds. Pop. of par. 1923 ; of town, 563. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Midland, North-Eastern, Lancashire and Yorkshire, and London and North-Western Railways.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

Mytholmroyd W R Yorkshire Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Mytholmroyd, a village and a chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Calder, the Rochdale canal, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 5 miles W of Halifax; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Manchester. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop. in 1861, 3,063. Houses, 683. The property is much subdivided. Wadsworth is the seat of W. Sutcliffe, Esq; and Whitelee House, of D. J. Crossley, Esq. There are several cotton mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1847; is in the early decorated English style; and has a tower and low spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].