Wyre-Piddle, a chapelry in Fladbury parish, Worcestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1716
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes near to Wyre Piddle
- Rous Lench
- Pershore St Andrew with Pershore Holy Cross
- Church Lench
- Norton and Lenchwick
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Wyre-Piddle, a chapelry in Fladbury parish, Worcester; on the river Avon, adjacent to Pershore r. station. It has a post-office under Pershore. Pop., 229. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to Lord Northwick. The living is annexed to Fladbury. The church was restored in 1845. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Wyre-Piddle – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Fladbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 2 miles N.E. from Pershore, and 105 from London; containing 34 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 144 – 1811, 140 – 1821, 178.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Wyre Piddle but who were married in another parish.
Thomas Moor, of Wyre Piddle, Worcs., & Ann Harrison 3 Dec. 1756 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
Wyre Piddle Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distances – 2 miles St. of Pershore, 6 N.W. of Evesham, and 9 S.E. of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 233. Acreage, 368.
Postal Information – Pots Office, James Derrett, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Pershore about 6.45 a.m. and 3.O p.m.; despatched thereto at 10.50 a.m. and 6.40 p.m. No delivery on Sundays. Postal orders are granted here and paid. Pinvin is the nearest money order office. Pershore is the telegraph office and post town.
Wyre Piddle Church – Rev. C. Jerram Hunt, M.A., Rector of Fladbury with Wyre Piddle, &c.; Rev. H. Kennedy, B.A., Curate; Francis William Bentley Wagstaff, Churchwarden; William Bradley, Parish Clerk.
Elementary School (boys and girls) – Miss Mary Bridgewater, Mistress.
Bailey Thomas, market gardener
Ballard William, market gardener
Boulter R., Bredon view
Bradley William, parish clerk
Bridgewater Miss M., schlmistrs., School ho.
Cotton Miss Annie
Derrett James, grocery and provision stores and sub-postmaster
Eccles Frederick, market gardener
Eccles Geo., fruit gr. and mer., Avon view
Hall Thomas, market gardener
Haynes George, market gardener
Haynes James, market gardener
Haynes Robert, market gardener
Hodgetts Joseph, market gardener
Hopwood R. G., Avon side
Jones Richard D., Anchor Inn
Kennedy Rev. H., B.A., assistant curate
Morris John, market gardener
Moseley George, market gardener
Moseley William, market gardener
New Frank, market gardener
Partington Charles, market gardener
Prosser Charles, market gardener
Sharp Brothers, millers, Wyre mill
Shepherd Henry, farmer
Tyler Charles, farmer
Wagstaff Francis W. B., solicitor
Wilmore Joseph, dairy farm
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Wyre Piddle Littleburys Directory 1879
Wyre Piddle is a chapelry to Fladbury, from which village it is distant 2 miles N.W., 2 N.E. of Pershore (1 ½ from the railway station), and 9 ½ S.E. of Worcester; is situate on the right bank of the river Avon, in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; poor-law union, petty sessional division, county court district, and polling district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £1,072; area of the chapelry, 346 acres; population in 1861, 229; in 1871, 252, with 56 inhabited houses and 60 families or separate occupiers. The Right Hon. Lord Northwick (the lord of the manor), Francis William Bentley Wagstaff, Esq., and Martin Howse, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil chiefly light and sandy; subsoil, gravel and clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, fruit, and vegetables. In the centre of the village is an ancient stone cross. Wyre Piddle church – a chancel, nave, and bell-cot – is well worthy of a visit – so small, so simple, so ancient. Mr. Bloxham and others were of the opinion that its chancel arch was Saxon. The bell-cot and font, too, are probably of the same date, whatever that may really be. It was restored and repewed in 1845. The earliest register is dated 1716. The living is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Feckenham; it is a curacy annexed to Fladbury rectory; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; rector, Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., Queen’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1877. The Rev. John Westcott Stoneman, B.A., University of London, is the curate. The national school was erected in 1865 by subscription; average attendance of boys and girls about 50. There is a small chapel for the Wesleyans, built in 1840.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Pershore. The wall letter-box is cleared at 6.25 p.m. on week-days only. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Wyre Piddle Church. – Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., Rector of Fladbury with Wyre Piddle, &c.; Rev. John Westcott Stoneman, B.A., Curate; F. W. B. Wagstaff, Esq., Churchwarden; George Sherwood, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Chambers, Mistress.
Wesleyan Chapel. – Ministers various.
Assistant Overseer. – Mr. William Alfred Salsbury, Bridge street, Pershore.
Carrier to Worcester. – Thomas Farmer, on Saturdays.
Bunn Mrs. and Miss, The Cross
Howse Martin, Esq.
Stoneman Rev. John Westcott, B.A. (curate of Wyre)
Wagstaff Francis William Bentley, Esq.
Williams Robert Jones, Esq., Avonside
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Andrews Edmund, George Inn, maltster, baker, grocer, and market gardener
Barnes Henry, market gardener
Chambers Miss, schoolmistress
Cotton Charles, farmer, maltster, baker, and grocer
Dennant J. W., sergeant of police
Eccles Frederick, market gardener
Eccles Mark, market gardener
Farmer Thomas, farmer and carrier
Gibbs George, boot and shoe maker
Hodgetts Joseph, Anchor Inn, and farmer, and dealer in corn, hay, straw, &c.
Howse Martin, farmer and landowner
Moore George, blacksmith
Morris John, farmer, Yew-tree farm
Morris John, sen., market gardener
Moseley William, market gardener
Partington James & John, farmers
Partington Joseph, Paradise cottage
Roberts James, Anchor Inn
Sharp Joseph, miller, Wyre mill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Wyre Piddle Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Bamford William, farmer
Beecroft – farmer
Bentley Mr gent.
Howse John, farmer
Melen John, vict .
Millward Wm. tailor
Ruston John, vict.
Wagstaff Thomas, farmer
Wagstaff William, farmer
Wagstaff Robert, farmer
Watkins John, smith
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Fladbury
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury