Wick near Pershore, a chapelry in the parish of St. Andrew Pershore, upper division of the hund. of Pershore, county of Worcester; 1½ mile east-south-east of Pershore. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £2 13s. 4d., returned at £96; gross income £110. Tithes commuted in 1806. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Westminster. “About the latter end of the reign of King Henry I., or the beginning of that of Stephen, Peter de Corbezon, alias Studley, founded a priory of canons Austins in the church of St. Peter here, which some few years after he thought fit to remove to Studley in Warwickshire.” — Tanner’s Not. Mon. Acres 1,970. Houses 58. A. P. £3,339. Pop., in 1801, 262; in 1831, 280. Poor rates, in 1838, £116 5s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Wick – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of St. Andrew’s, Pershore, hundred of Pershore, upper division, 1 ½ mile E. from Pershore, and 102 from London; containing 42 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 262 – 1811, 302 – 1821, 303.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Distances – 1 mile E. of Pershore, 5 ½ N.W. of Evesham, and 10 S.E. of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 288. Acreage, 1656.
Postal Information – Post Office, Mrs. Martha Stevenson, Sub. Postmistress. Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 6.30 a. m and 2.45 p.m. ; despatched thereto at 10.40 a.m. and 6.40 p.m. Postal Orders are issued and paid at this office. Pershore is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish church (St. Bartholomew’s) – Rev. William Henry Bolton, M.A., Vicar; A. R. Hudson and Major Marriott, Churchwardens; Joseph Sherwood, parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls) – Miss Mary Frances Davies, Mistress.
Bolton Rev. William Henry, M.A., (vicar), The Vicarage
Bullock Mrs., Woodbine cottages
Carden Mrs., Endon house
Davies Miss Mary F., schoolmistress, School house
Dowson J. W., Lower hill
Gifford Wm., farm bailiff to A. R. Hudson
Harrison H. P., Vandyke court
Hemming Mrs., Upper Wick house
Hudson Alfred Ricketts, Wick house
Hughes W. H., The Grange
Jackson J., farmer Glenmore farm
Marriott Major Henry C., Avonbank
Pullen Wm., gardener, Dounda cottage
Sherwood Joseph, parish clerk & blacksmith
Stevenson Mrs. Martha, sub-postmistress, Post office
Tovey Frederick, farmer, Dounda cottages
Woodward Miss, Edon house
Young James, butler, Woodbine cottage
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Wick (formerly Wyke) is a village and chapelry of St. Andrew’s, Pershore, distant nearly a mile S.E. of that town, 2 E. of Pershore railway station, and 10 S.E. of Worcester; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; poor-law union, petty sessional division, polling district, and county court district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £3,558; area of chapelry, 1,558 acres; population in 1861, 318; in 1871, 299, with 66 inhabited houses and 68 families or separate occupiers. The chapelry included the manors of Wick Burnel and Wick Warren; and A. R. Hudson, Esq., who resides at the ancient manor-house, formerly in the possession of the Hazelwood family, is lord of these manors. The principal landowners are Henry Hudson, Esq., George Whitaker-Wilson, Esq., John Hilditch Evans, Esq., Mrs. Carden, General Marriott, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for England. The soil is sand and loam, with some strong land; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, and potatoes. The parish is bounded on the N.E. by the river Avon, and the neighbourhood is very pleasant and romantic, containing many gentlemen’s seats and villas. There was an Augustine priory founded here in the reign of Stephen, by Peter de Corbezon, who a few years afterwards removed it to Studley, in Warwickshire. Wick is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore; the living is now a vicarage in the gift of the Vicar of Pershore, value £105; vicar, Rev. William Topley Humphrey, who was instituted in 1878, and resides at Pershore. The church of St. Lawrence is an old structure, with chancel, nave, north aisle, vestry, small tower, and one bell. There are Norman arches and other early work in the church, as also stained-glass windows. The building was restored and enlarged in 1861. The earliest register is dated 1695. The national school was erected in 1864 by subscription. The principal residences in the parish are Avon Bank, the mansion of Lieut.-General Thomas Beckett Fielding Marriott, J.P.; Bryn Issa, the seat of John Hilditch Evans, Esq., beautifully situated on an eminence commanding pleasant views of the surrounding country; Vandyke Court, the residence of Henry Hudson, Esq., J.P.; Wick House (before noticed), Alfred Ricketts Hudson, Esq.; Upper Wick House, Charles Smith Hudson, Esq., and Endon, Mrs. Carden. (Further particulars of Wick will be found on page 376)
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – William Edgington, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Pershore at 6.25 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.40 p.m. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Wick Church (St. Lawrence’s). – Rev. William Topley Humphrey, Vicar; General Marriott and J. H. Evans, Esq., Churchwardens; James Sherwood, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Elizabeth Sherwood, Mistress.
Carden Mrs., Endon house
Evans John Hilditch, Esq., Bryn Issa
Hudson Alfred Ricketts, Esq., Wick ho
Hudson Chas. Smith, Esq., Upper Wick ho.
Hudson Henry, Esq., J.P., Vandyke crt.
Marriott General Thomas Beckett Fielding, R.A., J.P., D.L., Avon bank
Webb Captain, The Grange
Bomford Ernest George Cook, farmer; res., Spring hill, Fladbury
Edgington Mrs., laundress
Edgington William, sub-postmaster
Kings William, farmer and overseer
Martin James, farmer
Sherwood Miss Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Sherwood Jas., blacksmith and parish clk.
Taylor George, farm bailiff for A. R. Hudosn, Esq.
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Wick is a chapelry of St. Andrew’s, Pershore, from which it is distant about one mile. The population is 1851 was 339. the neighbourhood is very pleasant and romantic, containing may gentlemen’s seats and villas, amongst which we may mention, Upper Wick House, the seat of Charles S. Hudson, Esq.; The Elms, the residence of Henry Hudson, Esq.; Glenmore House, belonging to George B. Hudson, Esq.; and Avon Bank, the mansion of Mrs. General Marriott.
There was an Augustine priory founded here in the reign of Stephen, by Peter de Corbezon, who a few years afterwards removed it to Studley, in Warwickshire.
The Chapel is a very small stone edifice, in the Gothic style of architecture. There are the remains of an ancient Norman cross near the Chapel. Rev. Benjamin Hemming, Incumbent; Mr. James Sherwood, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Hudson Charles S., Esq., Upper Wick House
Hudson George B., Esq., Glenmore House
Hudson Henry, Esq., The Elms
Marriott Mrs. General, Avon Bank
Peacock Ralph, Esq., Vandyke Cottage
Edgington Joseph, boot and shoe maker
Farmer Elizabeth, farmer
Foster Samuel, shopkeeper
Sherwood Joseph, blacksmith Hemming George, auctioneer and farmer, Endon Farm; and at Pershore
Woodward William, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Abel George, farmer
Abel Stephen, farmer
Hudson J. esq.
Hudson Henry, esq.
Hughes William, farmer
Pearce Joseph, bailiff
Pinnock Mary, widow
Saloway Thomas, farmer
Taylor Wm. wheelwright
Wheeler Wm. farmer
Woodward John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.