Whittington is a chapelry of Worcester St. Helen Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Whittington is a small village and chapelry belonging to St. Peter’s parish, Worcester, distant about 2 ½ miles S.E. of the city, on the road to Evesham; in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; union of Pershore; polling district, county court district, and petty sessional division of Worcester; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £2,638; area of the chapelry, 989 acres; population in 1861, 309; in 1871 (including Swinesherd), 373, with 85 inhabited houses and 87 families or separate occupiers. Robert Berkeley, Esq., of Spetchley park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, and barley. The chapel-of-ease is a small stone edifice, in the Early English style, with chancel, nave, and bell-cot. There are 243 sittings, 140 being free. The living is in the fit of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. (For further particulars see St. Peter’s, Worcester, page 36.) The earliest register is dated 1709. There is a small school for boys and girls. Cruckbarrow (or Crookbarrow) hill is an object of interest to the antiquary. It is believed to have been thrown up and used by the Druids, or as a burying-place for some great chieftain. It is elliptical in form, and is now crowned with trees. If it is a tumulus, it is one of the largest in England. Part of Swinesherd (or Swenchard) is an outlying portion of St. Martin’s parish, Worcester, distant 2 miles S.E. of the city. Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879. Read More from this Directory
Whittington, a chapelry in Worcester-St. Peter parish, Worcestershire; 2¼ miles SE by S of Worcester r. station. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 989. Pop., 309. Houses, 75. W. Lodge is the seat of A.Hooper, Esq. The living is annexed to W.-St. Peter. The church is modern. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Photo of West end of SS Philip and James’ parish church, Whittington, Worcestershire, seen from the north by Derek Bradley, some rights reserved.