Whittington is a chapelry of Worcester St. Helen Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Note: Vision of Britain and Family Search state that Whittington is a chapelry of Worcester St. Helen. However all the gazetteers and directories state that it was a chapelry of St Peter the Great.
Parish church: SS. Philip and James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653 see also Worcester St Helen
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Parishes adjacent to Whittington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Whittington, a chapelry in Worcester-St. Peter parish, Worcestershire; 2¼ miles SE by S of Worcester r. station. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 989. Pop., 309. Houses, 75. W. Lodge is the seat of A.Hooper, Esq. The living is annexed to W.-St. Peter. The church is modern.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Whittington Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distance – 2 ½ miles SE of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 429. Acreage 1108.
Postal Information – Post and Telegraph Office, William Henry Ewins, Sub-Postmaster. Letters and Parcels arrive from Worcester at 8.15 a.m., 12.55 and 4.35 p.m.; Sunday delivery 8.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 11.15 a.m. and 6.5 p.m. on week-days, and 10.0 am. on Sundays. Telegrams may be sent on Sundays from 8.0 a.m. to 10.0 a.m.
The Wall Letterbox at Swinesherd is cleared at 7.20 a.m. and 8 p.m., and on Sundays at 11.40 a.m.; that at Norton Barracks at 11.0 a.m., 4.0 and 7.55 p.m. on week-days, and 7.55 p.m. on Sundays. Worcester is the post town and money order office.
Chapel of Ease (SS. Philip and James) – Rev. G. A. K. Simpson, M.A., Vicar of St. Peter’s with Whittington; E. Watson, Churchwarden; Mrs. Stinton, Sextoness.
College for the Higher Education of the Blind – Rev. T. Barnard, M.A., Head Master [for complete list of Trustees, &c., see Worcester Official Directory.]
Elementary School (boys, girls, and infants) – Miss C. Campbell, Mistress.
Assistant overseer – John Clews; res., Red Hill.
Allen Walker, 2 Rose villas
Barnard Rev. T., M.A., (head master), College for the Higher Education of the Blind
Beck Thomas, Shrub villa
Birt Miss Jane, I Rose villa
Bomford Alfred W., farmer, Swinesherd
Bullock Farmer, baker, St. Cuthbert’s
Brown Geo. Frdck. Sparrow, The Grange
Campbell Miss C., schoolmistress
Chamberlain Mrs. Eliza, The Elms
Chamberlain Frederick, farmer, The Elms
Clarke Charles, Red hill
Clarke Thomas, viceman (G. W. R), Avenue cottage, Swinesherd
Clews John, assistant overseer, Red hill
Clutterbuck James, Lilac cottages
Cooper George, blacksmith
Cottrill George, farmer, Lower Barn farm
Cottrill Nathaniel, farmer, Bank cottage
Curnock Mrs. Jane, mkt. gardnr., Bird’s close
Ewins William Henry, boot and shoe maker and sub-postmaster
Forty William, nurseryman and fruiterer, Swinesherd and Market Hall. All kinds of nursery stock supplied. Wreaths and crosses made to order on the shortest notice.
Gammons Richard, mkt. gardener, Swinesherd road
Garrard Samuel Bromley, M.A., Gables
George Frederick A., Red hill
Gillett Charles E.
Hillery Mrs., farmer, Chapelry farm
Madeley H. G., farmer, Horne hill
Meadows Mrs. Emma, laundress
Mullins Hubert, wheelwright, Swinesherd
Pitcher George, farmer, Cruckbarrow farm; res., Nunnery farm, St. Peter’s
Pope John, farmer, Church farm
Prosser Mrs. Harriet, Lower Barn farm
Ratcliffe John, Whittington hall
Sayers George, farm bailiff, Cruckbarrow
Smith Henry, Old House farm
Stinton Mrs. E., sextoness
Tombs N. J., farmer, Lower Battenhall
Vaughan Capt. Herbert, Whittington lodge
Walker The Misses, The Cottage
Wallis Hebert William, farmer, Uffnell
Watson Edwin & John, millers & threshing machine proprietors, Swinesherd mill
Watson Edwin, Avenue lodge, Swinesherd
Wells Frederick William, bricklayer
Wilmore Mrs., Swinesherd
Wood Ellen, Red hill
Wormington Thomas Alfred, Swan Inn
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Whittington (with Swinesherd) Littleburys Directory 1879
Whittington is a small village and chapelry belonging to St. Peter’s parish, Worcester, distant about 2 ½ miles S.E. of the city, on the road to Evesham; in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; union of Pershore; polling district, county court district, and petty sessional division of Worcester; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £2,638; area of the chapelry, 989 acres; population in 1861, 309; in 1871 (including Swinesherd), 373, with 85 inhabited houses and 87 families or separate occupiers. Robert Berkeley, Esq., of Spetchley park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, and barley. The chapel-of-ease is a small stone edifice, in the Early English style, with chancel, nave, and bell-cot. There are 243 sittings, 140 being free. The living is in the fit of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. (For further particulars see St. Peter’s, Worcester, page 36.) The earliest register is dated 1709. There is a small school for boys and girls. Cruckbarrow (or Crookbarrow) hill is an object of interest to the antiquary. It is believed to have been thrown up and used by the Druids, or as a burying-place for some great chieftain. It is elliptical in form, and is now crowned with trees. If it is a tumulus, it is one of the largest in England. Part of Swinesherd (or Swenchard) is an outlying portion of St. Martin’s parish, Worcester, distant 2 miles S.E. of the city.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5.35 p.m. on week-days, and 11.35 a.m. on Sundays. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Chapel-of-Ease. – Rev. William Wright, M.A., Vicar of St. Peter’s, Worcester, with Whittington; Rev. Beaufort Harkness Dixon, Curate; Mr. George Groves, Churchwarden; Edward Stinton, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Harding, Mistress.
County Police Station. – John Cattell, Constable.
Beck Mr. Thomas, Shrub villa
Chamberlain Robert, Esq., The Elms
Doe Mr. Enoch & Mrs. T. E., Bank cot.
Hunt Mrs., The Cottage
Laugher Mr. Jas., Avenue vil., Swinesherd
Leader Benjamin Williams, Esq., Whittington lodge
Lloyd Colonel, Belle Vue villa
Matchett Captain, Whittington villa
Wilson Rev. Joseph Bowstead, M.A. (rector of St. Helen’s, Worcester)
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Birt Mrs. Helen, shopkeeper
Bromfield W., gardener, 1 Rose cottages
Cattell John, police officer, Police Station
Cooper George, blacksmith
Cowley Henry William, carpenter, joiner, and market gardener, Bird’s close
Davis William, builder, Red hill
Ewins George, boot and shoe maker
Green John, farmer, Uffnall; res., Heath grange, St. John’s, Worcester
Groves George, farmer, Cruckbarrow farm and church farm
Harding Miss, schoolmistress
Leader Benjamin Williams, artist, Whittington lodge
Meadows Mrs., shopkeeper, Swinesherd
Meadows Mrs. J., laundress
Moore J., quartermaster, 2 Rose cottages
Smith Richard, farmer, The Elms farm
Watson Edwin, farmer & miller, Swinesherd mill (in St. Martin’s parish)
Weston Walter Morris, Swan Inn
Wilmore James, wheelwright, Swinesherd
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Whittington Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Whittington is a small Hamlet and Chapelry belonging to the parish of St. Peter’s, Worcester, and is about 2 ½ miles distant from that town. It contained in 1851, according to the census, a population of 289 inhabitants, viz., 143 males, and 146 females.
The Church, a small, modern-built edifice, is a Chapel of Ease to St. Peter’s. The Rev. S. N. Vowler officiates as Minister; William Corbett, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
Bamfield Mr. John
Clifton John Hill, Esq., Magistrate
Doe Mr. Enoch, Bank Cottage
Hunter Captain George, Royal Artillery, Whittington Lodge
Weston Mrs. Mary, The Cottage
Best Thomas, blacksmith and wheelwright
Birt Henry, boot and shoe maker
Chamberlain George, farmer, Upper Battenhall
Coney Elizabeth, farmer, Lower Battenhall
Coney William, farmer, Middle Battenhall
Dowell Edward, farmer, Lower Timberdale
Ewins George, boot and shoe maker
Green John, farmer, Uffnall Farm
Lane Charlotte, victualler, Swan
Hartwright John, farmer, Upper Timberdale
Nash Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer Parsonage Farm
Pearce James, shopkeeper
Pitcher George, farmer, Nunnery Farm
Ross Charles, boot and shoe maker
Sharp James, tailor
Smith Edward, hop merchant, Chapelry House
Smith John, farmer Cruckbarrow Farm
Walker John, farmer, Walker’s Place
Watson Edwin, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
The Bankrupt Directory
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
The Law Advertiser 1830
|Parker J., Worcester, and Whittington, in St. Peter the Great, Worcestershire, dealer in horses and corn||1 meeting||11||Thursday, June 10.||Star and Garter Inn, Worcester.|
|Parker J., Worcester, and Whittingion, in St. Peter the Great, Worcestershire, dealer in horses and corn||2 meeting||11||Friday, June 11.||Star and Garter Inn, Worcester.|
|Parker John, St. Nicholas and Whittington, Worcestershire, horse and corn dealer||3 meeting||11||Tuesday, July 13||Star and Garter Inn, Worcester.|
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- Polling District: Worcester
- County Court District: Worcester
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury
|18 Aug 1882||enlarged by gaining part of Worcester St Peter the Great||The Ferns Houses|
|24 Mar 1884||enlarged by gaining part of Worcester St Peter the Great|
|25 Mar 1885||enlarged by gaining part of Norton Juxta Kempsey||Part of Old Home Farm Houses|
|01 Oct 1931||reduced to enlarge Worcester Civil Parish||64 acres. Population in 1931: 98|
|01 Oct 1931||enlarged by gaining part of Worcester St Peter the Great County Civil Parish||Area: 8 acres|