White Ladies Aston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Church: St. John the Baptist
Parish Records begin: 1558
White-Lady-Aston, or Aston-Episcopi, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 4 miles south-east of Worcester. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio of Worcester; rated at £6 17s. 3d.; gross income £281. Patron, in 1841, R. Berkeley, Esq. In 1833 there were 3 daily schools in this parish. Acres 760. Houses 73. A.P. £1,243. Pop., in 1801, 266; in 1831, 381. Poor rates, in 1838, £53 5s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
White-Ladies-Aston – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles E.S.E. from Worcester; containing 54 inhabited houses. In 1708, a estate in this parish came to Bishop Lloyd, (in consequence of the execution of its heir for an atrocious murder), who being unwilling that his family should, under such circumstances, derive any benefit from it, he conveyed it over to trustees, for the endowment of two schools at Worcester, for twenty-four boys and girls, to be chosen out of the several parishes within the city.
It was at the manor-house in this parish, then the residence of a Mr. Symmonds, that Oliver Cromwell had his head quarters the night before the battle of Worcester, in 1651.
The living is a vicarage, Rev. Charles Neve, incumbent; instituted 1808; patron, Robert Berkley, Esq. Population, 1801, 266 – 1811, 305 – 1821, 342.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
White Lady Aston in this neighbourhood, is only remarkable for two points of its history. ‘Twas here, in the old manor-house, then the property of Mr. Symonds, a great favourite of the Protector, that Oliver had his head-quarters the night before the battle of Worcester. In this parish also is an estate, which coming in 1708 by an unfortunate event to Bishop Lloyd, he was so unwilling that himself or his family should derive any benefit from it, (having fallen out of lease by the execution of its heir for an atrocious murder,) that he lodged it in trustees for the endowment of two schools for boys and girls in Worcester, to the number of twenty-four from the different parishes.
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Aston White Lady is a village about four miles south-east from Worcester. In this parish, by the unfortunate death of Mr. Symonds in the year 1708, an estate fell to Bishop Lloyd, who founded therewith a school for boys and girls in Worcester, called “Bishop Lloyd’s Charity-school.” The number of children educated is twenty-four, out of the different parishes in Worcester. The White Ladies was formerly a nunnery.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Distances – 5 ½ miles E. of Worcester, and 5 N.N.W. of Pershore.
Population – In 1901, 244. Acreage, 1230.
Postal Information – Letters arrive from Worcester (by messenger from Spetchley post office) about 8 a.m.; the Wall Letter-box is cleared at 6.5 p.m. on week-days only. The nearest telegraph office is at Spetchley Goods Station (2 miles S.E.). Worcester (London Road) is the nearest money order office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist) – Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Vicar; Rev. Thomas Pinches, M.A.. Curate; Messrs. James Page and James Morgan, Churchwardens; William Gould, Parish Clerk.
Carrier to Worcester – William Simpson on Saturdays.
Apperley Richard, signalman, Sneachill
Cambridge Charles, coal agent, Prospect house, Low hill
Comeley Thos. George, farmer, Green farm
Day George, haulier, Village
Gould William, carpenter and wheelwright
Haidon Walter, letter carrier, Sneachill
Harbourne Samuel, horse breaker, Sneachill
Harding Thomas, cottage farmer and dealer
Hemming Francis, coal merchant
Hill Thomas, baker, &c.
Lowe H., carrier, Low hill
Lowe Joseph, painter, &c.
Millicheap Miss Elizabeth, cottage farmer
Millicheap John, fruit dealer, Village
Morgan Hedley, farmer, Sneachill farm
Morgan James, farmer, Aston hall
Page James, baker, &c.
Phipps William, farmer, Aston court
Pinches Rev. Thos., M.A., Curate, Green farm
Pound Frederick John, Berkeley Arms, Egdon. Free house; few minutes walk from Stoulton station. Cyclists and picnic parties catered for. Wines, spirits, and cigars. Good stabling.
Rogers Henry, blacksmith
Sanders George John, baker, Sneachill
Sherwood Rev. Henry Martyn, B.A., (vicar) The Vicarage
Simpson William, carrier
Tandy George R., Ivy house
White Mrs. Mary, farmer, Low Hill farm
Willmore James, wheelwright
Wilks Henry, farmer, Moat farm
Young Hrebert [sic], Crown Inn, Sneachill
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
White Ladies Aston is a parish and village 5 miles E. of Worcester and 5 N.N.W. of Pershore, in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; union of Pershore; polling district of Broughton Hackett; highway district of Upton Snodsbury petty sessional division and county court district of Worcester; annual rateable value, £2,225; area of parish, 1,230 acres; population in 1861, 353; in 1871, 349, with 81 inhabited houses and 101 families or separate occupiers. Robert Berkeley, Esq., of Spetchley park, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, are lords of the manor; the former is the principal landowner. The soil is clay with a little sand; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, turnips, mangolds, and fruit; also old pasture. This parish was originally called Aston, or Eston, signifying a town lying east of the monastery or mother church to which it was subject. It was called at the time of the Conquest Eston Episcopi, belonging then to the Bishop. In 1268, Godfrey de Gifford gave to the nuns of Whiston, at Worcester (called White Ladies, from their dress), the manor and patronage of Eston, with certain reservation, and from that time it has received the appellation of White Ladies’ Aston. It is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Worcester East; living, a vicarage, value £220, with residence; patron, Robert Berkeley, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Queen’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1839. The church of St, Michael is chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, and western wooden tower with four bells; the north aisle was built and the church completely restored in 1860 – 61 under the superintendence of Mr. Hopkins, architect, of Worcester. The principal memorials are to the Elrington family. The earliest register is dated 1558. In 1713 Bishop Lloyd endowed a school at Worcester with an estate in this parish, consisting of 88 acres, which had become forfeited to him by the execution of its owner (a Mr. Symonds) for murder, and which the Bishop was unwilling to appropriate to his own use. The estate has recently been enfranchised by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at a cost of £700, defrayed partly by a legacy of £400, left by the late C. H. Hebb, Esq. The children of this parish go to the district school at Bredicot.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Worcester about 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Worcester is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Henry Martyn Sherwood, B.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Partington and George Christopher Jackson, Churchwardens; William Gould, Parish Clerk.
Loxley Miss, Prospect cottage
Sherwood Rev. Henry Martyn, B.A. (vicar of White Ladies’ Aston, and rector of Broughton Hackett), The Vicarage
Tudor Mrs., Prospect cottage
Allsup Mrs. Elizth., Crown Inn, Sneachill
Berkeley Maurice, farmer, Aston Court farm; res., Spetchley park
Biddle James, foreman drainer on the Spetchley estate, Sneachill
Day George, haulier
Gould William, carpenter, wheelwright, and parish clerk
Gregg Frederick, tailor, Sneachill
Jackson George Christr., fmr., Moat fm.
Kimber William, baker and grocer
Lewis William, baker and grocer
Partington John, farmer, Sneachill farm
Partington F. J., farmer, The Green fm.
Payne Daniel, coal merchant, Sneachill; depot at Spetchley goods station
Petford James, blacksmith
Sanders Mrs. Ann, baker, Sneachill
White Mrs., farmer, Low Hill farm
Wilmore Jph., Berkeley Arms Inn, Egdon
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
White Ladies’ Aston is situated 4 miles S.E. from Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 356 inhabitants.
This parish was originally called Aston, or Eston, signifying a town lying east of the monastery or mother church, to which it was subject. It was called at the time of the Conquest, Eston Episcopi, belonging then to the Bishop. Godfrey de Gifford, in the year 1268, held the great deal of England and the crosier of Worcester, and gave to the nuns of Whiston, at Worcester, called White Ladies, from their dress, the manor and patronage of Eston, with certain reservations, and from that time it has received the appellation of White Ladies’ Aston.
The Church is an ancient building, consisting of nave, chancel, and western wooden spire. The windows are principally Norman, with the exception of a few square-headed and plain ones. The principal memorial is to Thomas Elrington, Esq., who died in 1809; he was an officer in the army 65 years, and was at the battles of Fontenoy, Falkirk, and Culloden, and in the American wars; was also at the taking of the French West India Islands, and at the siege if Havannah. There is also another to Major General Richard Goodall Elrington, who died 1845. He entered the army at the early age of fourteen, and carried his Majesty’s arms into America, the Persian Gulph, and India, and was shot through the body while bearing the colours of the 14th Regiment, before Dunkirk. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of R. Berkeley, Esq. Rev. Henry M Sherwood, B.A., Vicar; Mr. George Manton, Clerk. Service - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Butt Mr. Richard, Prospect Cottage
Locke Mr. James, Lower Aston Farm
Sherwood Mrs. Mary
Sherwood Rev. Henry Martyn, B.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Allsupp George, victualler, Berkeley Arms
Allsupp John, victualler, Crown
Burford John, shoe maker
Day William, mason
Dudfield Benjamin, farmer, Sneatch Hill
Fowler Thomas, beer retailer, baker, and shopkeeper
Hollings John, hop and seed merchant, Low Hill
Jackson George C., farmer, The Moat
Lewis William, baker and shopkeeper
Lock William, farmer, Lower Aston Farm
Millichap George, farmer
Perks William, carpenter
Petford Joseph, blacksmith
Price Abraham, wheelwright and carpenter
Roberts Thomas, farmer, Upper House; also of the Charity Farm
Robins John, machine proprietor
Sanders William, tailor
Waters William, shopkeeper
Weaver William, farmer, Aston Court
Wright Edward, butcher
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
White Lady Aston, 4 miles from Worcester, containing 44 houses, and 266 inhabitants.
Allsop John, vict.
Beauchamp Rev. Mr.
Boraston Rev. George
Byrd Samuel, farmer
Cole William, baker
Grove George, farmer
Lock James, farmer
Roberts William, farmer
Ross George, farmer
Ross Joseph, farmer
Taylor William, farmer
White James, baker
White Elizabeth, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820