Welland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1670
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Welland
- Parish History
Parishes adjacent to Welland
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WELLAND, a parish, with a village, in Upton-upon-Severn district, Worcester; 3 miles WSW of Upton r. station. It has a post-office under Worcester. Acres, 2,027. Real property, £3,678. Pop. in 1851, 582; in 1861, 802. Houses, 163. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Worcester. Seatstone and Stuarts Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £378. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old. There are a national school, and charities £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Welland, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire; 3 miles west by south of Upton-upon-Severn. Living, a discharged vicarage in the peculiar jurisdiction of the bishop of Worcester; rated at £8 2s. 11d.; gross income £393. Tithes commuted in 1840. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. The Huntingdonians have a place of worship here; and there are a daily and 2 Sunday schools, one of the latter of which is conducted on National principles, and is supported by the vicar, while the other is gratuitously instructed by the Huntingdonians. Acres 2,100. Houses 109. A.P. £2,008. Pop., in 1801, 334; in 1831, 490. Poor rates, in 1838, £191.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Welland – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 112 from London; containing 94 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. Henry Boulter, incumbent; instituted 1797; patron the King. Population, 1801, 334 – 1811, 391 – 1821, 453.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Welland Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Welland is a parish and village, situate about 3 ½ miles from Malvern Wells, and 3 from Upton, with a population at the last census of 582 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a very small, old building, with square tower, containing a peal of four bells. The living is a Discharged Vicarage, in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. Arthur Philpott, Vicar; Mr. John Ward, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small School, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Ann George, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 25.
County Police Station – Henry Mann, Officer.
The Charities of this parish are but few, and are given to the poor annually in bread and coals.
Philpott Rev. Arthur, M.A., Vicar
Boulter George, farmer, Hill Court
Boulter Henry, farmer
Bridges John, beer retailer, Hook Common
Carwardine James, carrier
Clinton Thomas, bailiff, Wood Farm
Cruse Samuel, shopkeeper, Midsummer Cottage
Drinkwater James, farmer
Edgecumbe Solomon, farmer, Dane Moor
Fearon James, farmer
Fleet Thomas, carpenter, Marl Bank
George Richard, Sub-Postmaster, and shoe maker
Green Sarah, farmer
Grice James, farmer
Grice James, shopkeeper
Hancock Joseph, farmer, Asserts Common
Harris Richard, shopkeeper
Harris William, sen., farmer
Harris William, farmer
Hodges James, carrier
Jones Francis, shoe maker, Asserts Common
Kendrick John, farmer, Lake Farm
Lampitt Thomas, beer retailer, Anchor
Mayall John, farmer
Moore James, beer retailer, Lake Inn
Oliver James, farmer, Hoo Bank
Phillips David, carrier
Pope Joseph, farmer, Hill Farm
Pratt Joseph, farmer
Purton William, carpenter
Shirley Frederick, victualler, Pheasant
South John, farmer
Spencer Henry, farmer
Turner Charles M., farmer, Dutfield’s Farm
Twinberrow Joseph, farmer, Welland Court
Tyler Richard, farmer
Watkins Abraham, farmer, Woodside
Williams Charles, mason, Marl Bank
Post Office – Richard George, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 10 15 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.
Carriers – To Worcester, Carwardine, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m.; Hodges, Wed. and Sat., 7 a.m. To Gloucester, Phillips, Sat., 5 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Welland Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Welland, 3 miles from Upton-upon-Severn, containing 64 houses, and 334 inhabitants.
Boulter Rev. Henry
Boulter Mrs. farmer
Bullock R. butcher
Clarke John, miller
Clews John, farmer
Curtis Joseph, farmer
Dee John, farmer
Dunn Mrs. Ann
Green Henry, farmer
Green William, farmer
Hancox Joseph, farmer
Harris Richard, farmer
Harris William, butcher
Hemming Thos. farmer
Jakeman J. Shoemaker
Kings Thomas, vict.
Little John, farmer
Mussell William, farmer
Smith John, farmer
Spencer John, farmer
Turner C. farmer
Twinberrow Wm. farmer
Wenlock William, farmer
Williams Mrs. farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury