Warndon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Warndon parish also includes: Upper and Lower Smite, Trotshill, Wood Green and Tolladine.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
The earliest register is dated 1561.
Nonconformists in Warndon: Roman Catholics
Parishes adjacent to Warndon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Warndon, a parish in Droitwich district, Worcestershire; 2½ miles NE of Worcester r. station. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 988. Real property, £1,589. Pop., 164. Houses, 39. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £151. Patron, R. Berkeley, Esq. The church is plain.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Warndon – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 3 miles E.N.E. from Worcester, and 112 from London; containing 28 inhabited houses. It is a rectory; the Rev. Slade Nash, incumbent; instituted 1791; patron, Lord Somers. Population, 1801, 126 – 1811, 161 – 1821, 177.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Warndon Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distance – 2 ½ miles N.E. of Worcester
Population – In 1901, 141. Acreage, 967
Postal Information – Letters are received through Worcester, and arrive by messenger about 7.15 a.m. Worcester is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Nicholas) – Rev. Percival Seth Ward, M.A., Rector; Mark Wilks, Churchwarden.
Haughty William, farmer, Parsonage farm
Jackson Robert, farmer, Little Tolladine (and in Claines parish)
Pritchett Miss A. L., Warndon Court
Purnell Alfred Bevan, farmer, Trotshill farm and Warndon farm
Wilks Mark, blacksmith, Trotshill
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Warndon Littleburys Directory 1879
Warndon is a small parish 2½ miles N.E. of Worcester, in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; poor-law union of Droitwich; petty sessional division, polling district, and county court district of Worcester; highway district of Upton Snodsbury; annual rateable value, £1,814 5s.; area of parish, 966a. 3r. 23p.; population in 1861, 164; and in 1871, 178, with 40 inhabited houses. Robert Berkeley, Esq., of Spetchley park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, and pasture. Warndon is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of East Worcester; living, a rectory, value £151; patron, W. Odell, Esq.; rector, Rev. Francis John Eld, M.A., St. John’s College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1875, and resides at Worcester. The church of St. Nicholas is merely an oblong building with no architectural features of note. It was built in 1542, and repaired in 1865 by rate and subscription. It consists of chancel, nave, wooden tower at the west end, and north porch built of brick. The earliest register is dated 1561. There are several Roman Catholics in the parish. Upper and Lower Smite, distant 2 miles N., are within the parliamentary borough of Droitwich; Trotshill is half a mile S.; Wood Green and Tolladine are also places in this parish.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester, which is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish church (St. Nicholas’). – Rev. Francis John Eld, M.A., Rector; Messrs. Richard Young and Richard Wookey, Churchwardens; James Linton, Parish Clerk.
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Cartridge Harvey, farmer, Lower Smite
Cartridge Phillip, farmer, Upper Smite
Day William, farmer, and overseer, Little Tolladine (and in Claines parish)
Kendal James, farmer, Trotshill farm
Linton James, wheelwright and parish clerk, Trotshill
Wookey Richard, farmer, overseer, and churchwarden, Warndon farm
Young Richard, blacksmith and churchwarden, Trotshill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Warndon Billings Directory 1855
Warndon is a small parish, distant from Worcester about 2 ½ miles N.E., and contained in 1851 a population of 193 inhabitants.
The Church is a plain edifice, containing nave, chancel, and west wooded tower. The style is of about the fifteenth century. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Robert Berkeley, Esq. Rev. G. St. John, M.A., Rector; Mr. Henry Adams, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. alternately.
Charities – George Wingfield, Esq., of Leopard, bequeathed the sum of £100, the interest to be expended in gowns for poor women annually, on St. Thomas’s day. Miss Barry, of Leopard, gave the sum of £50, the interest to be distributed in bread for the poor annually for ever, on Christmas day. There is also a small portion of land belonging to the church.
Beeken John, farmer, Lower Smite
Bird William, farmer, Trotshill Farm
Harding James, shoe maker, Trotshill
Linton James, wheelwright
Partington John, farmer, Tolladine
Tay William, farmer, Warndon Farm
Young Richard, blacksmith, Trotshill
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Warndon Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Warndon, 3 miles from Worcester, containing 26 houses, and 126 inhabitants.
Chance Edward, farmer
Chance William, farmer
Evans Thomas, farmer
Ross Edward, farmer
Trevis John, sen. farmer
Trevis John, jun. farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: East Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester
- Polling District: Worcester
- County Court District: Worcester
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury