Upton Warren is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Michael
The parish registers begin with the year 1604.
Nonconformists in Upton Warren include: Roman Catholic.
There was a parochial school for boys and girls, in 1879, with an average attendance of 40.
Upton-Warren, a parish, with a village, in Droitwich district, Worcester; 3¼ miles NNE of Droitwich r. station. Post town, Bromsgrove. Acres, 2,600. Real property, £4,518. Pop., 338. Houses, 73. About four-fifths of the property belong to the Earl of Shrewsbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £749. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church is good. There are an endowed school, and charities with jointly more than £36 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Upton-Warren (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Droitwich, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 2½ miles SW from Bromsgrove; containing 441 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Birmingham and Worcester road, and comprises 2574a. 35p. of which 1600 acres are arable, 750 pasture, and 136 woodland; the surface is undulated, the soil partly a strong clay, and the scenery picturesque. The Stoke station on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway is one mile to the east, and the Bromsgrove station (for carriages) three miles distant: the river Salwarp or Warren propels a flour-mill. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £11. 2. 3½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Shrewsbury: the tithes have been commuted for £670, and the glebe consists of 80 acres, with an excellent residence. The church, a plain edifice with a square tower surmounted by a spire, was partly rebuilt in 1793, and has a neat interior. There is a national school, endowed with £18 per annum by Elizabeth Lacey and others, in 1745; also a Church Sunday school. An annuity of £10 was bequeathed by Alderman Saunders to the Grocers’ Company, for apprenticing a boy of this parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Upton-Warren – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 3 miles S.W. from Bromsgrove, and 121 from London; containing 60 inhabited houses. The church has been partly rebuilt, and is neatly fitted up inside. In the year 1820, a woman (whose husband was a labouring man in the parish) was delivered of four girls, whose birth was attested by the minister and medical attendant. Considerable sums of money were subscribed towards their maintenance, and secured under the trust of the Rev. Mr. Biggs and G. P. Rufford, Esq. They are all living, and now reside in a small house on the right of the road leading into the town of Bromsgrove. The living is a rectory; the Rev. George Biggs, incumbent; instituted 1807; patron T. Price, Esq. Population, 1801, 342 – 1811, 402 – 1821, 463.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Upton Warin is on the western side of the high road, between Droitwich and Bromsgrove. We mention it merely on account of the curious fact, that in 1319, William Fitz-warin, Lord of this manor, appeared before the Bishop of Worcester, and was condemned to pay seven-pence per week to Alice his wife; and the same day he swore to obey the orders of the church, and abjure Isabella de Kynlet “under a penalty that if he should happen carnally to know the said Isabella, he would pay half a mark to the Bishop, for charity.”
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Distances -2 ¾ mites S.W. of Bromsgrove, 3¼ N.E. of Droitwich, 10 N.E. of Worcester and 1½ W. of Stoke Works Station (Midland Railway).
Population – In 1901, 270. Acreage, 2516.
Postal Information – Letters arrive by messenger from Bromsgrove about 8.0 a.m.; despatched thereto at 9.0 a.m. and 6.0 p.m. Wychbold is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Bromsgrove.
The Wall letter-box, near the school, is cleared at 5.50 p.m. daily.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s) – Rev. William Philip Vincent, B.A., Rector; William Boulton and Howard Lloyd, Churchwardens; Joseph Kings, Sexton.
Parochial School (boys and girls) – Miss Julia Mann, Mistress.
Bolton James, shopkeeper
Boulton William, farmer, The Moors
Dodd Thomas, wheelwright, Woodcote
Floyd Charles, blacksmith, Cooksey
Fox W., farmer, Badge court
Gazey Henry Thomas, Swan Inn. Home-brewed ales, wines, spirits, and cigars of the best quality. Good accommodation for cyclists.
Green William, cowkeeper, Signal fields
Hanson William, farmer, Durrance
Hartland John, grocer, &c., The Oaklands
Inton Henry, farmer, Grange farm
Kings Joseph, parish sexton
Langley John, farmer, Rising bridge
Lindner H., Park hall
Lloyd Howard, Grafton manor, near Bromsgrove
Mann Miss Julia, schoolmistress, School ho.
Norton Richard, farmer and miller
Pritchard John, farmer
Rolinson Thomas, farmer, Berry lane
Vincent Rev. William Philip, B.A., (rector), The Rectory
Ward David, grocer, Swan cottage
Wheighel John, farmer, Little Durrance
Williams Samuel, refreshment house
Yardley William, farmer, Durrance
Abberley House – void
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Upton Warren is a parish and village distant 2¾ miles S.W. of Bromsgrove, 3¼ of Droitwich, 10 N.E. of Worcester, and 1½ W. of Stoke Works station on the Midland railway; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Halfshire; poor-law union and county court district of Droitwich; petty sessional division and polling district of Bromsgrove; annual rateable value, £4,749; area of parish, 2,603 acres; population in 1861, 338; in 1871, 369, with 74 inhabited houses and 86 families or separate occupiers. The Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot is lord of the manor, and Lord Edmund Talbot is owner of about four-fifths of the parish. Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., is also a landowner here. The soil is clayey; chief produce, wheat, barley, oats, turnips, peas, beans, and pasture. The Warren brook runs through the parish. Upton Warren is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Droitwich; living, a rectory, value £749, with residence; patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury; rector, Rev. Francis Bodfield Hooper, B.A., late Scholar of Christ’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1836. The church of St. Michael was rebuilt in the last century, except the tower, which is the most ancient portion of the original building, being of the twelfth century; it consists of chancel, nave, embattled tower, with low spire, and three bells. The parish registers begin with the year 1604. There is a parochial school for boys and girls, with an average attendance of 40. The proceeds of Lacey’s and other charities are duly applied. Saunders’s gift, value £10 yearly, is to apprentice a boy of this parish. A few of the inhabitants are employed at Stoke salt works.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters arrive by messenger from Bromsgrove at 8.45 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.0 p.m. Bromsgrove is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael’s). – Rev. Francis John Bodfield Hooper, B.A., Rector; Messrs. John Gibbs and William Boulton, Churchwardens; William Butler, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (mixed). – Miss Brocklebank, Mistress.
Hooper Rev. Francis John Bodfield, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Horton John Robeson, Esq., The Oaklands
Jones Mr. Joseph, Park hall
Jones The Misses, Abberley house
Bennett Mr., farmer, The Grange
Boulton Wm., farmer, The Moors farm
Brocklebank Miss, schoolmistress
Colley George, gamekeeper, Poislands
Cook Richard, carpenter and shopkeeper
Crump Henry, basket maker, Woodcote
Dodd James, wheelwright, Woodcote
Dunn John, farmer, Durrance
Edwards John, farmer, Hill farm
Evans Edward, farmer, The Grange
Evans Thomas, farmer, Durrance
Floyd Charles, blacksmith
Frances William, farmer, Warridge lodge
Gibbs John, farmer, Village farm
Goddard Samuel, farmer, Woodcote
Griffin Thomas, carpenter, &c., Cooksey
Holden William, Swan Inn, and miller, Upton Warren mill
Jones The Misses, ladies’ boarding-school, Abberley house
Lees John, farmer, New house and Cooksey farm
Morgan William, farmer, Signal fields
Norton Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer and miller, Badgecourt
Partridge Joseph, farmer, and brick and tile manufacturer, Rising Bridge house
Perrins Solomon, farmer, Lake farm (and in Bromsgrove parish)
Perrins William, farmer and assistant overseer, Cooksey
Taylor William, farmer, Woodcote
Thomas Charles, boot and shoe maker
Twigg John, shopkeeper, Cooksey
Wardell James, farmer, Durrance
Watkins John, farmer, Cordwell farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Upton warren is a scattered village and parish, 3½ miles E.N.E. from Droitwich, and contained in 1851 a population of 422 inhabitants.
The Church is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and embattled tower, with low spire. The register states that the church was begun to be re-built in the year 1793; the tower is the most ancient portion of the original building, being of the twelfth century. The living is a Rectory, in the gift of the Earl of Shrewsbury. Rev. F Hooper, M.A., Rector; Rev. John H. Chance, M.A., Curate; Mr. George Turner, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Parochial School is supported by the rents arising out of some lands given by the Earl of Shrewsbury. Mary Hambry, Mistress. Number of children, 30.
Chance Rev. John H., Curate
Hooper Rev. F., M.A., Rector
Bagnall Thomas, farmer
Baker Solomon, farmer, Hill Farm
Cook Richard, shopkeeper and carpenter
Cooksey The Misses, ladies’ boarding school, Wharf House
Dodd James, wheelwright
Edwards George, farmer, Cooksey Lodge
Floyd Charles, blacksmith
France Mary, farmer, Durrens
Holden George Joseph, boarding school, Oakland House
Holmes Daniel, farmer, The Grange
James Charles, maltster and victualler, The Swan
Leese John, farmer, New House
Lovatt Michael, farmer, The Moors
Morris Edmund Tomkins, miller
Moss Joseph, farmer
Norton Richard, farmer and miller, Batch Court
Pass James, farmer
Perrins Solomon, farmer, The Lake
Perrins William, farmer and beer retailer, Horse and Jockey
Powell Joseph, farmer, Cooksey Farm; also of King’s Hill
Symcox Catherine, farmer, Rising Bridge
Thomas Charles, shoe maker
Wardell Frances, Durrens
Webber Henry, agent to the Earl of Shrewsbury, Park Hall
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Upton Warren, 3 miles from Droitwich, containing 56 houses, and 342 inhabitants.
Arden James, farmer
Bagnall James, farmer
Bagnall Francis, farmer
Cooksey and Simpson, ladies seminary
Baker Thomas, joiner
Band Francis, miller
Biggs Rev. Mr.
Edwards William, farmer
Francis James, farmer
Heath Edward, farmer
Hide William, farmer
Holmes Eliz. maltster
James Charles, maltster
Jervis William, farmer
Parkes Thomas, farmer
Perrins Thomas, farmer
Powell Thomas, farmer
Powell Benjamin, farmer
Simcox F. farmer
Talbott John, farmer
Tandy Mary, farmer
Nickless J. gamekeeper
Norton Richard, farmer
Quarrill William, farmer
Wardell William, farmer
Watkins Thomas, gent.
Webster William, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820