Upton-upon-Severn Worcestershire Family History Guide

Upton-upon-Severn is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Worcestershire.

Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul

Parish registers begin: 1546

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Upton-upon-Severn

Historical Descriptions

Upton-upon-Severn

Beeton's British Gazetteer 1870

UPTON-ON-SEVERN, a neat and Well-built market town of England, in Worcestershire, situated on the Severn, which is crossed here by a stone bridge of six arches, 10 miles S. from its post town, Worcester. It has a money ord. off. The parish church is a handsome structure, with a square tower, rebuilt in 1756, which formed part of the original building. It also possesses some chapels for nonconformists, a public building comprising a market-house, court-hall, and assembly-rooms, and several schools. It has an export trade in cider. Mar. D. Thurs. Pop. 2676. It is a station on the Birmingham, Tewkesbury, and Malvem line of the Midland Railway, 6¾ miles from Great Malvern.

Source: Beeton's British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

UPTON-UPON-SEVERN, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Worcester. The town stands on the river Severn, and on the Malvern and Tewkesbury railway, 5½ miles NNW of Tewkesbury; was occupied by Cromwell's troops, before the battle of Worcester; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; comprises several good streets; and has a post-office under Worcester, a r. station, a banking office, two chief inns, a town hall with market house and assembly-rooms, a bridge rebuilt in 1853, a church in the modern Italian style with a cupola-tower, Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels, a cemetery of 1865, with a chapel in the early English style, a mechanics' institute with reading room and library, an endowed school with £40 a year, a workhouse, charities £86, a weekly market on Thursday, and four annual fairs. The parish comprises 3,170 acres. Real property, £11,662. Pop., 2,676. Houses, 552. The manor, with Ham Court, belongs to J. J. Martin, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £917. Patron, the Bishop of W. The sub-district contains 7 parishes, and a part. Acres, 20,604. Pop., 6,122. Houses, 1,323. The district includes also Hanley and Kempsey sub-district, and comprises 53,016 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £10,820. Pop. in 1851, 18,070; in 1861, 21,010. Houses, 4,155. Marriages in 1863, 130; births, 625, of which 41 were illegitimate; deaths, 432, of which 117 were at ages under 5 years, and 17 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,188; births, 5,528; deaths, 3,912. The places of worship, in 1851, were 23 of the Church of England, with 6,713 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 50 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 260 s.; 5 of Wesleyans, with 561 s.; 1 of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, with 350 s.; and 4 of Roman Catholics, with 857 s. The schools were 20 public day-schools, with 1,565 scholars; 22 private day-schools, with 369 s.; 15 Sunday schools, with 1,020 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 11 s.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

UPTON-UPON-SEVERN (St. Peter and St. Paul), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 10 miles (S.) from Worcester, and 109 (N. W. by W.) from London; containing 2696 inhabitants. According to Dr. Stukeley, this was the Upoessa of Ravennas; and the probability of its having been a Roman station is strengthened by the discovery of some ancient armour in the neighbourhood. During the civil war, a bridge of six arches, erected pursuant to legislative enactment in the reign of James I., was partly broken down, and a battery placed in the churchyard, to prevent the approach of Cromwell and his forces; but the plan was ineffectual, and the parliamentary troops entered the town. Upton is situated on the right bank of the river Severn, which is here navigable for vessels of 100 tons' burthen; it is neatly built, and the streets are well paved: the surrounding country is in a state of high cultivation, and the scenery is varied and picturesque. There is a subscription library. A considerable quantity of cider, brought from Herefordshire and other parts, is shipped here for conveyance to different places, there being a harbour for barges, with a wharf for loading and discharging. The market is on Thursday: a handsome market-house, including an assembly-room and apartments for the meetings of the magistrates, has been erected by subscription. Fairs are held on Mid-Lent and Whitsun Thursdays, July 10th, and the Thursday before October 2nd; a manorial court is held annually in October, and petty-sessions every alternate Thursday. The powers of the county debt-court of Upton, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Upton. The parish comprises 3003 acres of land, of which 300 are common or waste; the remainder is in equal portions of arable and pasture.

The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £27; net income, £917; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is a handsome structure, erected, with the exception of the tower, in 1758; the ancient spire, from an apprehension of insecurity, was taken down, and a wooden cupola, covered with copper, substituted, in 1769. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A charity school for 20 girls was endowed in 1718, by Richard and Anne Smith, with property now producing £28 per annum, which was augmented with a bequest of £5 a year, in 1824, by Miss Sarah Husband: a boys' school was added in 1797, by a benefaction from George King, which was vested in the purchase of £100 three per cents., and £100 four per cent, consols.; and these two foundations are now incorporated into a national school. Edward Hall, in 1578, left an estate at present worth about £80 a year, for maintaining a bridge here over the Severn; and Thomas Morris, alias Woodward, in 1675 bequeathed £185, which sum was invested in land, &c., now valued at £35. 10. per annum, for parochial purposes. The poor-law union comprises 22 parishes or places, and contains a population of 16,886. Dr. John Dee, the celebrated astrologer in the reign of Elizabeth, was a native of the town. The late Rev. J. Davison, B.D., author of some theological works, was rector.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

UPTON upon SEVERN, a market town and parish in the lower division of the hundred of Pershore, county of Worcester, 10 miles (S.) from Worcester, and 109 (N. W. by W.) from London, containing 2319 inhabitants. According to Dr. Stukeley, this was the Upoessa of Ravennas ; and the opinion that it was once a Roman station has received confirmation from the discovery of some ancient armour in the neighbourhood. A bridge, consisting of six arches, was erected, pursuant to act of parliament, in the reign of James I., which was broken down, and a battery placed in the churchyard, to prevent the approach of Cromwell and his forces ; but the plan was ineffectual, and the parliamentary forces entered the town. Upton is situated on the right bank of the river Severn, which is here navigable for vessels of one hundred tons' burden, and is crossed by a bridge erected in 1606 : it is neatly built, and the streets are well paved. There is a subscription library. The surrounding country is in a state of high cultivation, and the prospects are varied and picturesque. A considerable quantity of cider, brought from Hereford and other places, is shipped here for conveyance to different parts of England : there is a harbour for barges, and a wharf on the river, for the convenience of loading and discharging. The market is on Thursday : a plan for the erection of a handsome market-house, to include an assembly-room and apartments for the meetings of the magistrates, has been agreed upon, and the subscription for defraying the expense of its erection nearly completed : an act will be applied for this present session of parliament (1831), soon after which the building will be commenced. Fairs are held April 2nd, June 2nd, July 10th, and the Thursday before the 2nd of October. A manorial court is held occasionally, and petty sessions once a fortnight.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £27, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a handsome structure, completed in 1758 : the ancient tower was once surmounted by a spire, which, from an apprehension of insecurity, was taken down, and a wooden cupola substituted. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A charity school for instructing fifteen girls was endowed, in 1718, by Richard and Anne Smith, with property of the present value £28 per annum, which was augmented by a bequest of £5 per annum, in 1824, from Miss Sarah Husband : a boys' school was added to it, in 1797, by means of a bequest from George King, of property secured in the purchase of £100 three per cents., and £100 four per cent. consols. ; and these are now incorporated into two National schools, which are further supported by voluntary contributions : about one hundred and sixty children are educated. Dr. John Dee, a celebrated astrologer in the reign of Elizabeth, was a native of this town : the Rev. J. Davison, B.D. author of some highly-esteemed theological works, is the present incumbent.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Upton-upon-Severn – a market town and parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 10 miles S. from Worcester, and 110 from London; containing 464 inhabited houses. The town stands on the west bank of the river Severn, over which it has a stone bridge of six arches, built in 1605: it was partly destroyed in the civil wars, to prevent the Parliament army from crossing the river. The church is a neat building, erected in 1757, for which purpose the church lands were let on lease for 99 years; the span of the roof is the widest in England, except St. George’s, Hanover-square; the tower, which is very similar to St. Nicholas, Worcester, was built about 16 years afterwards; it is a pleasing object, and contains a good ring of bells. There is no manufacture in the town deserving of notice, but it has a considerable traffic by barges on the river Severn. The market is on Thursday; fairs, first Thursday after Midlent, Thursday in Whitsun-week, 2nd September, and Thursday before St. Matthew’s day. The living is a rectory; the Rev. Robert E. Baines, incumbent; instituted 1772; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 1858 – 1811, 2023 – 1821, 2319.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Ham Court

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Ham Court, a seat in Upton-on-Severn parish, Worcester; near the river Severn, 2 miles S of Upton. It belonged formerly to the Bromleys; and belongs now to J. J. Martin, Esq.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Upton-upon-Severn - Cholera Epidemic 1832

The book Records and Traditions of Upton-on-Severn (below) contains an interesting account of the outbreak of cholera in 1832 in Upton. It starts on page 139 but I've linked to the book to start at the beginning of Chapter IV because it is interesting reading about pestilence including smallpox in Upton. Actually the whole book is really interesting and free.

Upton-upon-Severn - Cholera Epidemic 1832 - Google Books

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog - Free

Census

Census returns for Upton-upon-Severn, 1841-1891

Church Records

Bishop's transcripts for Upton-upon-Severn, 1612-1876 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Upton-upon-Severn (Worcestershire)

Church records, 1850-1948 Author: Catholic Church. St. Joseph (Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestestershire)

Parish registers for Upton-upon-Severn, 1546-1972 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Upton-upon-Severn (Worcestershire)

Parish register printouts of Upton-on-Severn, Worcester, England ; marriages, 1814-1882 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Upton-upon-Severn, Worcester, England ; christenings, 1694-1812 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Upton-upon-Severn, Worcester, England ; christenings, 1813-1875 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Description and travel - Guidebooks

Official guide to the Upton-upon-Severn Rural District, Worcs.

History

The nation in the parish, or, Records of Upton-on-Severn : with a supplemental chapter on the castle of Hanley Author: Lawson, Emily M.

Records and traditions of Upton-on-Severn : with thirteen illustrated sketches by Charles Cattermole and G. R. Clarke Author: E. M. L.

Upton, portrait of a Severnside town Author: Hurle, Pamela

Social life and customs

Upton, portrait of a Severnside town Author: Hurle, Pamela

Directories

Online Directories

Upton-on-Severn Bennett's Business Directory for Worcestershire, 1914

Lascelles & Co.'s Directory and Gazetteer of the City of Worcester & Neighbourhood 1851

Bentley's Directory of Upton-upon-Severn 1840 - Archive.org

Upton-on-Severn from Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory 1835 - Google Books

Directory Transcriptions

Upton-upon-Severn Billings Directory 1855  

Upton-upon-Severn is a small market town, situate about 10 miles from Worcester, 7 from Tewkesbury, and 110 from London, and contained in 1851 a population of 2693 inhabitants.

Upton-upon-Severn is a very old town, for according to Dr. Stukeley, it was the Upoessa of Ravennas. That it was a Roman station seems to receive confirmation form the fact that some ancient armour and coins have at different periods been found in the locality. We find that in the reign of James I a bridge was erected across the Severn, part of which was broken down, and a battery placed in the churchyard, in order to prevent the approach of Cromwell and his soldiers; but the precaution seems to have been of no avail, for the Parliamentary forces entered the town. This bridge being considered unsafe, in consequence of repeated floods, was taken down in 1852, and a new one erected, 1853.

Upton-upon-Severn, as its name implies, is situated on the bank of the Severn, which is navigable for vessels of large burden, and the trade on the river was at one time very considerable, giving employment to a vast number of hands, but the introductions of railways, and the use of steam tugs to supersede horses, have tended to diminish the trade of the town, though the business from the neighbouring villages is still considerable. The town is lighted with gas, and contains several good shops and inns, and taken as a whole it has a very neat and respectable appearance. The market day is Thursday, and the Petty Sessions are held in the Town Hall every alternate Thursday.
The Church is small and ancient, bearing the appearance of great antiquity. The tower is square, above which is a small octagonal one, surmounted with a dome; above is a small open cupola, likewise of an octagonal shape. The interior contains no monuments of note, to call for any comment from us. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. H. J. Taylor, Rector; Rev. T. W. Hayward, Curate; Mr. W. Handy, Organist; Mr. Robert Harrison, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a small Baptist Chapel in Old Street. Rev. Alexander Pitt, Minister. Service – 10 30 a.m., 2 30 and 6 p.m.; Monday, 7 p.m.

There is also a small Methodist Chapel in the Walk. No stated minister. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 6 p.m.

The Catholic Chapel is a plain, neat erection, in School Lane. Rev. A. L. De la Rue, Priest. Service – 7 30 a.m., daily; Sunday, 10 30 a.m. and 6 p.m.

The National and Infant Schools are situate in School Lane, and are supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mr. Joseph Mansfield, Master; Mary Ann Mansfield, Mistress; Jane Millidge, Mistress of Infant School. Average number of scholars – boys, 55; girls, 36; infants, 80.

There is a Catholic School, situate by the Severn side. Mr. Reuben Stockall, Master. Average number of scholars, 60.

The Town Hall is situate in Old Street, the upper portion being used for transacting magisterial business, public meetings, &c., and the lower portion for the purposes of the market.

The Mechanics’ Institution is also situate in Old Street. It is a small building, and contains a good library.

The County Court, and offices belonging thereto, are situate in Court Street. Benjamin Parham, Esq., Judge; T. M. W. Holland, Esq., and T. T. Gough, Esq., Clerks; W. Akroyd and F. W. Dyer, Bailiffs.

The Police Station is in Court Street, adjoining the County Court. George Checketts, Superintendent.

The Union is situated about half a mile form the town; it stands on an eminence in a most healthy situation, surround by a very extensive and beautiful garden. Mr. Richard Rhodes, Governor; Mrs. Bathurst, Matron; Rev. T. W. Hayward, Chaplain; J. B. March, Esq., Surgeon; Mr. H. Sewell, Clerk; Mr. G. Whitesides, Schoolmaster; Mr. James Dancocks and Mr. C. G. Walker, Relieving Officers. Board day, every alternate Thursday.

Charities – The charities of this town are but few, amounting to about £130 per annum, and are distributed according to the wishes of the donors.

DIRECTORY
Ainsworth Mr. William Lowe, Old St
Clarke Mrs. Richard, Old St
Cobham Mr. John, Church St
Couchers The Misses, Buryfield Cottage
Cowley Miss H., Longdon Heath
Davis Mr., The Villa
De la Rue Rev. A. L., Catholic Priest, School Lane
Fowler Mr. John, Elm Cottage, The Hill
Graham Miss, Longdon Heath House
Grice Rev. Joseph Hill, Curate of Queenhill, The Mount
Hancock Mrs. William, Church St
Handy Mr. Francis, The Hill Cottage
Hayward Rev. T. W., Curate, The Hill
Hudson Mrs. Elizabeth, Myrtle Cottage
Lilley Mr. Thomas, Laurel Cottage, Old St
Lloyd Mr. Charles, Church St
Nash Mr. Edward, Buryfield
Pitt Rev. Alexander, Baptist Minister, and schoolmaster, Old St
Simmons Mrs. Eades
Taylor Rev. H. J., Rector, Rectory
Warren Mrs., Ham Cottage
White Mr. Thomas, Commissioner of Taxes, Old St
Woodward Major, The Hydes
Allard Edwin, maltster and farmer, London Lane; house, New St
Baker Geo., farmer, Duckswitch; house, Longdon Heath
Barnard George, stationer, Berlin warehouse, Old St
Bates Thomas, baker and shopkeeper, Court St
Blew Samuel, hosier and wool dealer, High St
Bradley William Alfred, baker and maltster, High St
Bradon Charles, surgeon, Ham House, Water Side
Bridgman William, hay, straw, and coal dealer, Court St
Broadway Elizabeth, clock and watch maker, Old St
Bundy Hannah, Star family and commercial inn and posting house, New St
Causon Henry, shopkeeper, New St
Chandler Thomas, boot and shoe maker, New St
Clarke George, maltster, Water Side
Clay Edward, tailor, Old St
Cobham John, haberdasher and hosier, Old St
Cook George, victualler, Royal Oak, Court St
Cook James, confectioner and fancy biscuit baker, Old St
Coombe Samuel, coal merchant, Church St
Cooper M. M. Beale, solicitor, Old St; house, New House
Cooper Thomas, painter, plumber, and glazier, Old St
Cooper William E., chemist and druggist, and printer, High St
Cottrell Edwin, coal and timber merchant, Dunn’s Lane
Cowley C. J., coal merchant, Longdon Heath
Cowley Henry, linen and woollen draper, haberdasher, and hosier, High St; house, Elm Cottage
Creese Harriet, boarding and day school, New St
Creese William, painter, plumber, and glazier, Church St
Croft Jane, milliner and dress maker, Old St
Day Joseph, shopkeeper, Court St
Day Lucy, shopkeeper, Old St
Day Sarah, grocer, tea dealer, stationer, and Postmistress, High St
Drinkwater John, boot and shoe maker, Old St
Farr Thomas, linen and woollen draper, tea dealer, and news agent, High St
Field James, cider seller and market gardener, Duckswitch
Fildes George, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Unicorn, Old St
Fletcher John, surgeon; house, Acacia Cottage
George Samuel, grocer, tea dealer, tallow chandler, and Stamp Distributor, High St
George Elizabeth, butcher, High St
Gilbert Thomas, painter, plumber, and glazier, Old St
Goodall George, butcher, Old St
Goodman Gabriel, surgeon, Old St
Griffin James, beer retailer, Barley Mow, Dunn’s Lane
Griffiths Jane, straw bonnet maker, Court St
Griffiths Thomas, farmer
Gurney William, victualler and baker, Cross Keys, Court St
Hall Jane, shopkeeper, Court St
Hancock William, clerk, agent to the Law Union Fire and Life Office, to the Rock Life and Birmingham District Fire Offices, accountant, estate agent, and secretary to the Trades’ Union Friendly Society, court House
Handy William, bread and biscuit baker, Old St
Harlow John, victualler, wine and spirit merchant, and tea dealer, Swan (see advertisement)
Harrison Ann, victualler, King’s Head, High St
Harrison Robert, maltster and coal merchant, High St; house, Water Side
Hartland William, maltster and cooper, High St
Heath William, farmer, Lockeridge
Hill John, shopkeeper and beer retailer, Fish, Old St
Hill Joseph, market gardener, Old St
Hill William, market gardener, Eight Acres
Hitchins William, Rate Collector, New St
Holland T. M. W., solicitor
Hudson Henry, painter, plumber and glazier, and glass and china dealer, High St
Jenks Thomas, market gardener, Eight Acres
Johnson Robert, boot and shoe maker, Old St
Jones Rebecca, stay maker, The Depot
Jukes George, manager at the Bank, and agent to the Phoenix Fire and Pelican Life Offices, High St
Kelsey John, boot and shoe maker, New St
Kent John, liquor merchant, Buryfield House
Kent W. and E., and Sons, wine, spirit, vinegar, and cider merchants
King Ann, milliner, High St
Knowles Robert, wheelwright, Hook Common
Lane Robert, butcher, New St
Lane Sarah, straw bonnet maker, New St
Lane William, saddler, and harness maker, High St
Laughton John, victualler, Seven Stars, Old St
Layton John, hair dresser, High St
Lechmere and Co., bankers, High St; draw on Robarts and Co.; George Jukes, manager; open from 10 to 3
Lidiard John, blacksmith and locksmith, Old St
Lidiard Mary, milliner and dress maker, Old St
Lilley John, grocer, tea and provision dealer, and baker, Old St
Marsh and Fletcher, surgeons, High St
Marsh Henry B., surgeon; house, High St
Masters John, victualler, Anchor, High St
Merryday Henry Cook, plumber, painter and glazier, grocer and tea dealer, Old St
Minchin Richard, farmer, Longdon Heath
Morris James, boot and shoe maker, Court St
Okell Susan, grocer, tea and provision dealer, Old St
Osborne David, farmer, The Palace
Osborne George, farmer, Green Field
Parish George, brick maker, Water Side
Perrins Edward, maltster, London Lane; house, Hanley Castle
Pitt Thomas, victualler and shopkeeper, Black Boy, New St
Powell Thomas, farmer, Duckswitch
Pratt Mary, saddler and harness maker, Old St
Pratt Thomas, saddler and harness maker, Old St
Pratt William, White Lion family and commercial inn and posting house, High St
Price George, blacksmith and farrier, Old St
Price Sarah, dress and stay maker, Old St
Pumfrey Hannah, beer retailer, God Speed the Plough, Water side
Read Joseph, clerk, Church St
Sewell Henry, solicitor, clerk to the Magistrates, to the Board of Guardians, and agent to the Indisputable Life Office, Buryfield House
Shepherd James, coal and timber merchant, Water Side
Sheward Charles E., surgeon, Church St
Smith George, potato dealer and tinman, Old St
Stephens Francis, boot and shoe maker, Old St
Stone Thomas, tailor, Buryfield
Taylor Thomas, currier and broker, High St
Thompson Henry, victualler, commercial inn, Talbot, Excise Office, High St
Thorn Samuel, victualler, Severn Trow, Dunn’s Lane
Thould Henry, butcher and maltster, Old St
Tinkler Thomas, victualler, Wheat sheaf, Church St
Trash Henry S., surgeon, New Cottage
Tremlett Thomas, hosier and general dealer, Old St
Turberville John, victualler, Bell, New St
Vokins Caroline, milliner and dress maker, Back Fields
Walker Thomas Willis, solicitor, New St
Walton Miss, boarding and day school, Buryfield Lodge
Webb Richard, blacksmith and farrier, Old St
White Charles, farmer and blacksmith, Lockeridge
White James, beer retailer, Brewer’s Arms. Berrow Fields
White John, clock and watch maker, High St
White Walter, boot and shoe maker, Old St
Whitesides Richard, grocer, tea and provision dealer, High St
Wilkes and Co., general and furnishing ironmongers, Old St
Wilkes Charles, grocer, tea and provision dealer, High St (see advertisement)
Wilkes Walter, lines and woollen draper, and clothier, Old St (see advertisement)
Williams George, grocer, tea and provision dealer, Church St
Williams James, farmer
Williams Robert D., butcher, High St
Willis Thomas, tailor, Old St
Willis William, tailor, court St
Wood Matthias, boot and shoe maker, Church St
Wood Thomas, news agent, Old St
Woodward James, shoeing and jobbing smith, Court St
Woodward Thomas, victualler, Crown, Old St
Woodward William, farmer, Hook Farm; house, Longdon
Woodward William, baker, shopkeeper, and corn dealer, Old St
Wridgway Charles, builder, New St
Wridgway James, builder, Church St
Wridgway Richard, carpenter and joiner, Old St
Wright George, marine store dealer, Old St
Wright William, pump maker, Old St

Post Office, High Street – Sarah Day, Postmistress. Delivery, 7 30 a.m. and 6 30 p.m.; despatch, 45 p.m.

Coaches – To Cheltenham, from Lion Hotel, alternate days, 10 a.m. To Malvern, from Lion Hotel, alternate days, 6 p.m. To Worcester, from Star Inn, daily, 8 15 a.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.; Sunday excepted.

Carrier – To Worcester, James Lyse, Wed. and Sat., 9 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Upton upon Severn (with the village of Hanley Castle and Neighbours) Slater’s Directory 1850

Upton is a parish in the hundred of Pershore – the market town is 111 miles N.W. by N. form London, 10 S. from Worcester, 8 S.E. from Malvern, the like distance S.W. from Pershore, 7 N.N.W. from Tewkesbury, 26 E. from Hereford, 10 E. by N. from Ledbury, and 5 miles W. from the Defford station on the Birmingham and Bristol railway. The town is eligibly seated on the western bank of the Severn, which is here navigable for vessels of one hundred and ten tons burthen; and from its trade and shipments upon this fine river is derived the consequence and welfare which belongs to it. A considerable quantity of cider, brought from Hereford and other places, is shipped here for different parts of England: in this business are some very respectable houses – Messrs. Kent & Sons rank as the most considerable; they are also large vinegar manufacturers, and have been established upwards of 70 years. Of the other branches, those in malt, coal and timber may be considered the principal. According to the best authorities Upton was the Upoessa of Ravennas, and the opinion that it was a Roman station has been corroborated by the discovery of some ancient armour in the neighbourhood. A bridge consisting of six arches, was erected, pursuant to an act of parliament, in the reign of James I, which was broken down, and a battery placed in the churchyard, to prevent the approach of Cromwell and his forces; but the plan was ineffectual, and the parliamentarians entered the place: the present bridge was erected in 1606. The town is neatly built, gas-lighted, and the streets are well paved. The vicinity presents many pleasing prospects over a country naturally fertile, and rendered more beautiful by the labours of the husbandman. In one direction the view is delightfully picturesque, bounded by the Malvern hills, which overtop all the intermediate country. The neighbourhood is also graced by several seats, belonging to distinguished and noble personages, amongst which is Croome House, the residence of the Earl of Coventry, who also has a handsome mansion on the banks of the Severn. The Rev. Joseph Martin is lord of the manor, and holds court occasionally: and the magistrates sit in petty session once a fortnight. Upton is a polling station at the election of members to represent the western division of the county; and it is included in the twenty-fifth circuit of County Court towns under the act, passed August, 1846, for the recovery of debts nor exceeding £20.

The parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul is a neat edifice, completed in 1758; the ancient tower was once surmounted by a spire, which, from apprehension of insecurity, was taken down, and a cupola of wood substituted: the living is a rectory, in the gift of the bishop of Worcester; the Rev. Henry Joseph Taylor is the present incumbent. The Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship, and there is a national school. The market is held on Thursday; and the fairs, March 20th, May 29th, July 10th, and September 25th, principally for cattle and horses. The parish of Upton contained in 1831, 2,343 inhabitants, and in 1841, 2696.

HANLEY-CASTLE is a parish in the same hundred as Upton – the village being situated about a mile and a half from that town on the road to Worcester. Its adjunctive appellation is said to be derived from a castle, which formerly stood on the banks of the Severn, here, and was successively possessed by the Earls of Warwick, the De Spencers and the Lechmeres: its remains now form portions of a farm house. The parish church of St. Mary and a chapel for Roman Catholics are the places of worship. The living of Hanley is a discharged vicarage in the patronage of the ancient family of Lechmere, the Rev. A. B. Lechmere is the incumbent. A school founded here by an ancestor of the Lechmere family is open to children of both sexes, and had formerly two exhibitions to Baliol College, Oxford – it is now conducted on Dr. Bell’s system; and there is a school for girls, who are taught on the national plan. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,653 inhabitants, and in 1841, 1,677.

POST OFFICE, High-street, Upton, Sarah Day, Post Mistress – Letters from London, Cheltenham, Gloucester, and the West of England, arrive every evening at half-past five, and are despatched at five minutes before ten in the morning.
Letters from Worcester, and all parts of England (except London), arrive every morning at half-past six, and are despatched at a quarter before six in the evening.

NOBILITY, GENTRY, AND CLERGY.

Clarke Mrs. Mary, Old st
Coucher Miss Elizabeth, Bury field
Coventry the Right Hon. Earl of, Croome House
Coventry the Hon. Thomas, Severn Stoke
Coventry the Hon, W. H., Earls Croome
Cowley Mrs. Mary, Bury field
Crees Miss Elizabeth, Dun’s lane
Dancock Miss Maria, Old st
Dunn Rev. Charles, Earl’s Croome
Gee Thomas, Esq., Hanley-Castle
Henlock (or Henlook) Mrs. Mary, Dun’s lane
Horyhold Thomas, Esq., Blackmoor park
Hudson Mr. Samuel, Myrtle Cottage
Kent Rev. Alfred, Bury field
Kent Benjamin G. Esq., Levant Lodge, Earl’s Croome
Kent John Clarke, Esq., Bury field
Lechmere Rev. Anthony Berwick, Hanley-Castle
Lechmere Sir Edmund, Bart., Rhydd
Lloyd Rev. Thomas, Hanley-Castle
Philpott Rev. Henry Charles, Severn Stoke
Strode Lieutenant-Colonel - , Heath House
Symonds Mr. Richd. Hanley-Castle
Taylor Rev. Henry Joseph, Rectory, Upton
Williams Mr. Edmund, Bury field

ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS

Clay Esther, Bury field
Crees Harriet (boarding and day), New street
Grammar School, Hanley-Castle – Rev. Thomas Lloyd, master
Hanley Free School, Hanley-Castle – William Hillier, master
Infants’ School, Bury field – Jane Millage, mistress
Merriman Mary, Church street
National School, Bury field – Joseph Mansfield, master; Mary Carter, mistress
National School (girls), Hanley-Castle – Elizabeth Hillier, mistress
Walton James, (boarding and day), Church street
Ward Thomas, Church st

ATTORNEYS.

Beale Thomas, New street
Clarke John, Bury field
Cooper Beale, Severn side
Holland Thomas, Court st
Skey & Sewell, Bury field
Walker Thomas, New st

AUCTIONEERS.

Berkley William, court st
Crees William, New st
Hemming George, High street

BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS.

Aishen William, Hanley-Castle
Bates Thomas, Old st
Bradley William Alfred, High st
Cowley Thomas, Church st
Gurney William, Old st
Handy William, Old st
Hill John, Old st
Pinnington William, New st
Woodward William, Old st

BANKS.

Tewkesbury Old Bank (Branch) High street – (draws on Robarts, Curtis & Co. London) – George Henry Piercy, manager
Savings’ Bank, Town hall – John Clarke, actuary

BASKET MAKERS.

Dale John, Dun’s lane
Tinkley Thomas, Church street

BLACKSMITHS.

Price George, Dun’s lane
Reynolds Benjamin, Hanley-Castle
Watkins William, Longdon’s heath
Webb Richard, Old street
Woodward James, Court st

BOOKSELLERS.

Barnard George, Old st
White John, New st

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.

Bamford William, Old st
Bishop William, Old st
Day John, Old st
Drinkwater John, Old st
Dutfield James, Old st
Edmunds John, Hanley-Castle
Griffiths William, Court st
Hughes Henry, Old st
Hunter Thomas, Dun’s lane
Jackson Charles, Bury field
Johnson Robert, Church st
Stevens Francis, Old st
White Walter, Old st
Wood Matthias, Church st

BRICK MAKERS.

Heach Thomas, Severn side
Parsons George, Upton
Tandy John, Ripple

BRICKLAYERS.

Bell Richard, Old st
Crump John, New st
Kent James, Old st
Kent Thomas, New st

BUTCHERS.

George Elizabeth, High st
Goodall George, Old st
Matthews John, New st
Purser Robert, Old st
Thould Henry, Old st
Williams Robert David, High st

CARPENTERS.

Bell Richard, Old st
Berkley William, Court st
Fleet John, Hanley-Castle
Hancock William, Old st
Ridgway Charles, New st
Willis John, Old st
Wridgway William, Old st

CHEMISTS AND DRUGGISTS

Cooper William Ecklee (&printer), High st
Jackson George, High st

CIDER AND PERRY MERCHANTS

Clarke Geo. (& wine), Severn side
Kent W. & S. & Sons (and vinegar manufacturers, and importers of foreign spirits), Church street – (See advertisement)
Lucy Francis Wm. Hanley-Castle

COAL MERCHANTS.

Barnard William, High st
Cottrill Edwin, Dun’s lane
Harrison William, High st
White Richard, Hanley-Castle

COOPERS.

Hartland William, High st
Thomas Charles, Hook

CORN DEALERS.

Bradley William Alfred, High st
George Samuel, High st
Goodall Richard, High st

FIRE, &C., OFFICE AGENTS.

Cattle, William Crees, New st
Guardian, Harriet Clarke, Old st
London Indisputable, (life) Skey & Sewell, Bury field
Norwich Union, Wm. Hancock, High st
Pelican, (life) and Phoenix (fire) George Henry Piercy, High st
Royal Exchange, Beale Cooper, High st
Royal Farmer’s William Ecklee Cooper, High st

GARDENERS.

Duffty Robert, Soley’s orchard
Elt Samuel, Severn side
Hill Joseph, Old st
Jinks Thomas, Severn side
Sands Thomas, Old st

GROCERS AND DRAPERS

(See also Shopkeepers, &c.)
Barnard George, Old st
Barnard William, Old st
Cowley Charles John, New st
Cowley Henry, High st
Day Sarah, High st
George Samuel, High st
Gorle William, High st
Harlow John, High st
Nash & Farr, High st

HAIR DRESSERS.

Hall John, High st
Layton Ann, High st

IMPORTERS OF FOREIGN SPIRITS

Kent W. & S. & Sons, (and Scotch and Irish Whiskys, and French white wine vinegar and cordials), Church st – (see advertisement)

INNS.

(See also Taverns & Public Houses)
Star, Henry Bundy, High st
Talbot, Frederick Shirley, High st
White Lion, Mary Thacker, High st

IRONMONGERS.

Cooper John, Old st
Ridgway Charles, New st
Wilks & Co, Old st

LEATHER SELLERS.

Perks Moses, Old st
Taylor Thomas, Old st

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS

Cowley Charles John, New st
Cowley Henry, High st
Nash & Farr, High st
Phillips Emily, Old st

MALTSTERS

Armstrong Joseph, High st
Bradley William Alfred, High st
Clarke George, Severn side
George Samuel, High st
Harrison William, High st
Hartland William, High st
Lucy William Francis, High st
Matthews John, New st
Perrins Edward, High st
Spencer George, New st

MILLERS.

Perrins Edward, Upton Mill
Woodward James, London heath

MILLINERS & DRESS MAKERS.

King Ann, High st
Price Mary, Old st
Rickards Rose, New st
Stiles Letitia, Old st

PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS.

Barnett George, Old st
Cooper Thomas, Old st
Hudson, Henry, Church st
Hudson Joseph, Old st

SADDLERS.

Lane William, High st
Pratt John, Old st

SHOPKEEPERS & DEALERS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES.

Barnard George, Old st
Bates Thomas, Old st
Blew Samuel (and dyer), High st
Causon Henry, Court st
Cobham John, Old st
Genevar Sarah, High st
Hall Jane, Church st
Heath Ann, New st
Holyhead Sophia, Hanley-Castle
King Ann, High st
Pinnington William, New st
Richards Ann, New st
Sands Susannah, Old st
Wagstaff Stephen, Hanley-Castle
Williams James, New st

SPIRIT MERCHANTS.

See Importers of Foreign Spirits.

STRAW BONNET MAKERS.

Dean Mary, Old st
Griffiths Jane, Court st
King Ann, High st
Lane Sarah, New st
Pitt Ann, Old st

SURGEONS.

Bradon Charles, Dun’s lane
Goodman Gabriel, Old st
Lewis James, Hanley-Castle
Marsh Henry B., High st
Trash Henry Sneath, New st

TAILORS.

Barnes James, High st
Bennet William, Old st
Clay George, Court st
Clay John, Bury field
Richards Joseph, New st
Stone John, Court st
Thomas William, Old st
Wall Thomas, Back field
Williams James, New st
Willis William, High st

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.

Anchor, John Masters, High st
Bell, John Turner, New st
Black Boy, Thomas Pitt, New st
Black Swan, Edwin Cottrill, Dun’s lane
Cross Keys, William Gurney, Old st
Crown, Thomas Woodward, Old st
Hanley Quay, Thomas Lloyd, Hanley-Castle
King’s Head, Luke Day, High st
Oak, Sarah Cook, Pig market
Severn Trow, Joseph Griffin, Dun’s lane
Wheatsheaf, Thomas Tinkley, Church st

RETAILERS OF BEER.

Griffin James, Old st
Jill John, Old st
Hughes Joseph, Hanley-Castle
Jeynes Joseph, Dun’s lane
Laughton John, Old st
Pumfrey John, Horse fair

VINEGAR MANUFACTURERS.

Clarke George, Severn side
Kent W. & S. & Sons (and importers of foreign spirits, and French white wine vinegar) Church st – (see advertisement)

WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.

Broadway Edward, Old st
White John, New st

WHEELWRIGHTS.

Maund Samuel, High st
Phillips John, Hanley-Castle

MISCELLANEOUS.

Aston Mary, rag dealer, Old st
Barnett Harriet, fancy repository, Old st
Bell Richard, stone mason, Old st
Berkley William, surveyor, Court st
COUNTY COURT, Court street, Benjamin Parham, Esq. judge; Thomas Holland, clerk; Thomas Watkis Ross, bailiff
Fleet John, parish clerk, Hanley-Castle
GAS WORKS, New st – Thomas Farr, secretary
George Samuel, tallow chandler, Court st
Ikey Jno. Superintendent registrar, Bury field
INLAND REVENUE OFFICE, at the Talbot Inn – James Brook, supervisor
Jones Rebecca, staymaker, Bury field
MARKET HALL AND TOWN HALL, Old st
New Elizabeth, fruiterer, Court st
POLICE STATION, Court st – William Freeman, superintendent
Redding William, hatter, New st
Sands Susannah, earthenware dealer, Old st
STAMP OFFICE, High st – Samuel George, sub-distributor
Tromlett Thomas, ho[s]ier & haberdasher, Old st
Walker Charles James, registrar of births and deaths, Upton
White Thos. Henry, inland revenue officer, Bury field
Whitehouse William, coach maker, Court st
Wood Thomas, news agent, Old st
Woodward James, veterinary surgeon, Court st
Workman Moses, brazier, Old st
Wright William, pump maker, Old st

POOR LAW UNION.

WORKHOUSE, Bury field
Governor – William Bathurst
Matron – Caroline Bathurst
Schoolmaster – George Whiteside
Surgeon – Henry B Marsh
Clerk to the Guardians – John Skey
Relieving Officers – James Duncock and Charles James Walker

COACHES.

All from the Star Inn
To Cheltenham, a coach, every morning at ten, and evening at five.
To Great Malvern, a coach, daily at twelve noon, and evening at half-past five
To Worcester, the Star, every Wednesday and Saturday mornings at ten.

CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY

ON THE BIRMINGHAM & BRISTOL LINE
The nearest station is at Defford, five miles east from Upton

CARRIERS.

To Pershore, Samuel Dones, from the Star Inn, Thursday
To Worcester, James Lyes, from his house, Upton, Wednesday and Sat.

CONVEYANCE BY WATER.

To Gloucester, Samuel Thorn, every Tuesday
To Worcester, John Pumfrey, every Tuesday and Friday.
Source: Slater’s Directory (Worcestershire Section) 1850

Upton-upon-Severn Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Upton-upon-Severn, a Market Town, situated on the banks of the river Severn, 10 miles from Worcester, and 109½ from London, containing about 400 houses and 1800 inhabitants, of whom nearly 300 are employed in trade. The church is an extremely neat building, erected in 1758 and has a square tower containing 5 bells. The town carries on a considerable traffic by barges on the Severn, over which is a stone bridge of 6 arches. The Market is on Thursday. Fairs, first Thursday after Midlent, Thursday in Whitsun week and before St. Matthews day, and on the 2nd of September.

DIRECTORY.
A.

Alexander Daniel, Clothes Shop, Old-street
Allen S. and B. Blacksmiths, London-lane
Armstrong Joseph, Baker, Old-street

B.

Baines Rev. Robert, M. A. Old-street
Baldwin Richard, Staffordshire Warehouse, Old-street
Barnford William, Shoe Maker, Old-street
Barnes Joseph, Tailor, High-street
Baylis H. Gent High-street
Baylis T. Gent. High-street
Beale S. Solicitor, New-street
Benbow Thomas, Vict. White Lion Inn, High-st
Bennett Mrs. Farmer, Hook Common
Berkley William, Builder, Old-street
Bird Thomas, Gent. High-street
Bird Thomas, jun. Solicitor, High-street
Blew Samuel, Dyer and Shopkeeper, High-street
Bradley John, Baker, Old-street
Brotheridge T. Vict. Cross Keys, Old-street
Burgess S. and B. Hatters, Old-street

C.

Callow Thomas, Baker, Church street
Callow John, Coal Merchant, Bridge street
Charlwood Joseph, Brazier and Tinman, Old-st.
Clarke George, Wine Merchant, Severn side
Clarke and Mathews, Porter Brewers, Severn side
Clarke Robert, Farmer, Green Fields
Clevely William, Vict. Black Boy, New street
Coombe William, Flow Warehouse, Church st
Cooper J. H. Gent. Kent Cottage
Cooper John, Ironmonger, Old street
Coursand Mrs Gentlewoman
Cowley Henry, Butcher, High street
Cowley Charles, Draper, New street
Crees J. Tailor, New street
Crees Thomas, Vict. & Coal Merchant, Black Swan

D.

Dalby Mary, Vict. Red Cow, Old street
Davis Thomas, Druggist, High street
Day John, Druggist and Grocer, High street
Day John, Baker and Maltster, Bridge street
Deacon Francis, Grocer, Bridge street
Dunn Mrs. Gentlewoman, Church street

E.

Edwards Thomas, Vict. Comet, London lane

F.

Farmer William, Chair Maker, High street
Fildes Thomas, Plumber and glazier, Old street

G.

Gask John, Esq. Berry Fields
George J. Soap Boiler and Chandler, High street
George Thomas, Butcher, High street
Giles Thomas, Blacksmith, New street
Goodman Gabriel, Surgeon, Old street
Green Mrs. Gentlewoman, Church street
Griffiths E. Shoemaker, Old street

H.

Hall John, Hair Dresser, High street
Hancox Thomas, Vict. Seven Stars, Old street
Handy Francis, Baker, Old street
Harrison Mrs. Ladies Seminary, Mount
Hartland Robert, Cooper, Old street
Hattin J. Barge Owner, Church street
Heming Richard, Currier, New street
Higgens Thomas, Farmer Hook Common
Hill Richard, Baker, Old street
Hooper Joseph, Batcher, New street
Hudson Joseph, Plumber, Watchmaker, & Maltster, Old street
Hudson Samuel, Plumber and Glazier, Old street

J.

Jakeman William, Postmaster, High street

K.

Kale Thomas, Vict. Anchor, Bridge street
Kent W. and S. and Sons, Vinegar Makers and Brandy and Cider Merchants
Kent Samuel, Gent. New street
Kent James, Mason, Old street

L.

Lane Robert, Saddler, Old street
Lane E. and S. Drapers, Old street
Layton Samuel, Hair Dresser, Old street
Lechmere, Wall, and Co. Bank, High street
Lessingham Samuel, Solicitor, Parsonage
Lilley Thomas, Butcher, Old street

M.

Maddy Samuel, Collar Maker & Leather Cutter, Old street
Martin Rev. Joseph, Ham Court
Marriott Joseph, Baker, New street
Morris Elizabeth, Grocer, High street

O.

Osbourne Richard, Farmer, Palace

P.

Page John, Tanner, Severn side
Page William, Vict. Old Crown, Old street
Palfrey Thomas, Maltster, High street
Pantin Thomas, Pigeon House
Pearce E. Milliner, Old street
Pitt William, Saddler, New street
Protherough William, Shoemaker, Old street
Pumphrey John, Vict. Nelson, Bridge street
Purser Robert, Butcher, High street

R.

Reece J. T. Cooper and Vict. Talbot Inn, High st.
Reynolds Joseph, Nursery and Seedsman, New st.
Rickards – Tailor and Draper, New street
Rickards George, Maltster, Old street
Ross Thomas, Maltster, Old street
Rustall William, Bacon & Cheese Factor, Old st.

S.

Sanderlands Edward, whitesmith, Bridge street
Sands William, Gardener, High street
Shepperd Rev. Mr. Old street
Skeys Miss, Berry Fields
Smith Charles Surgeon, Old street
Stallard Thomas, Vict. Star Inn
Steward James, Shopkeeper, Old street

T.

Thomas William, Chandler, Old street
Thomas Charles, Grocer, Old street
Thorn Samuel, Barge Owner, Church street
Tinkler J. Vict. Wheat Sheaf.
Talley B. Shopkeeper, New street
Trash Henry, Surgeon, Berry Fields

W.

Wagstaff J. Bookbinder, Old street
Wallis Miss, Stationer, Old street
Ward Sarah, Toy Shop, High street
Webb Edward, Blacksmith, Old street
Whiting Joseph, Academy, New street
Worrond John, Sollys Orchard
Wridgeway, Charles, Builder, High street

CARRIAGE.

Mail Cart to Worcester, every Morning at eight
Baylis’s Barge to Worcester every Saturday and returns the same day.
Hall’s ditto ditto
Pumphrey’s ditto ditto

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Upton-upon-Severn Universal British Directory 1791  

Upton-upon Severn is a market-town, nine miles and three quarters from Worcester, sixteen from Gloucester, five and three quarters from Tewkesbury, and one hundred and nine from London. Market-day, Thursday; fairs, first Thursday after Midlent, Thursday in Whitsun-week, Thursday before St. Matthew, and September 2. This place is noted for giving name to a hundred; Roman coins are often dug up here, which proves it to have been a station of the Roman soldiers. Here is a harbour for barges, and a charity-school for sixteen girls. The church has a square tower and five bells, also a clock. The body of the church is very neat, built in 1758. Here is a stone bridge with six arches, over the Severn.
Bankers – Skey, Brockhurst, and Co. draw on Foster, Bosanquet, and Co. London. – Leechman, Wall, and Co. draw on Roberts, Curtis, and Co. 35, Cornhill, London. – Banking hours from ten till one, and from three till five. The post goes regularly every day to Worcester, at ten in the morning; returns at six in the evening. – A mail-chaise to Worcester Tuesday and Saturday, at ten in the morning; returns the same afternoon: William Jackson, post-master. – The principal inhabitants are as follows:

GENTRY.

Bayley Mr.
Brown Mr. John
Long William, Esq.

CLERGY.

Bolter Rev. Dr.
Edmunds Rev. Thomas
James Rev. Dr.
Salmon Rev. Henry

PHYSIC.

Aycrigg Benjamin, Surgeon
Baylis Joseph, Surgeon
Crow John, Surgeon
Davis Thomas, Surgeon

LAW.

Burtle Robert, Attorney
Long William, Attorney
Smith Abraham, Attorney
Wells Francis, Attorney

TRADERS, &C.

Adams Thomas, Linen-draper
Archer John, Gardener
Armstrong George, Cooper
Armstrong George, Huckster
Attwood Adam, Victualler, (Crown)
Baker William, Shoemaker
Bamford Samuel, Victualler, (Cross Keys,) and Excise-office
Barnes Benjamin, Taylor
Barnet Henry, Sadler
Bartlett Stephen, Cabinet-maker
Bayliss Joseph, Builder
Bick John, Carpenter
Bird Thomas, Baker
Brandard Samuel, Plumber
Brick Martha, Victualler, (7 Stars)
Brown Thomas, Plumber
Burgess Sampson, Hatter
Burgess John Howard, Hatter
Callow Elizabeth, Star Inn
Callow Thomas, Baker
Clarro Thomas, Grocer
Clay George, Taylor
Clay John, Taylor
Clisset Samuel, Chacemaker
Cooper John, Ironmonger
Crees Richard, Shoemaker
Crump William, Huckster
Dalby Mary, Victualler, (Cow)
Dalby Samuel, Victualler, (Crown)
Davis Thomas, Bricklayer
Davis Elizabeth, Midwife
Day Joseph, Shoemaker
Dodderidge Elizabeth, Ironmonger
Dutteridge Richard, Baker
Edwards Thomas, Shoemaker
Farmer William, Chairmaker
Fields John, Hatmaker
Floyd Charles, Bricklayer
Gardner – , Shoemaker
George Samuel, Grocer and Tallow-chandler
George Thomas, Butcher and Victualler
Gillett Jane, Grocer
Gloster Abraham, Shopkeeper
Griffith – , Excise-officer
Grove Richard, Watchmaker
Haines Mrs. Grocer
Hall Richard, Hair-dresser
Hartland Richard, Cooper
Hartland Robert, Cooper
Hatton Thomas, Victualler, (Brewer’s Arms)
Heath Thomas, Huckster
Hodgson Mrs. Huckster
Hodgson Edward, Plumber
Holder Sarah, Linen-draper Hooper John, Butcher
Husband Thomas, Linen and Woollen Draper
Jackson Mary, Victualler, (Swan)
Jackson William, Talbot Inn
James O. Trow-master
Jones Arnold, Smith
Jones Thomas, Staymaker
Kendall Thomas, Cider-merchant
Kent John, Mason
Kent William and Samuel, Brandy & Cider Merchants
Lane Robert, Sadler
Massey Joseph, Hatter
Morris Humphrey, Butcher
Orme Thomas, Schoolmaster
Overton John, Glover
Page Thomas, White Lion Inn
Page John, Tanner
Paine Joseph, Victualler, (Bull’s Head)
Pearce Aaron, Tallow-chandler
Perton William, Butcher
Phillips Thomas, Shoemaker
Pirkis Stephen, Butcher
Proctor William, Hair-dresser
Purcen James, Gardener
Rickards Miss, Milliner
Rickards John, Taylor
Ridgeway William, Carpenter
Roberts Thomas, Huckster
Rogers – , Excise-officer
Ross John, Victualler, (Black-boy)
Sanderlands Samuel, Draper
Sandlands R. Victualler, (Wheatsheaf)
Sandlands Edward, Ironmonger
Sands William, Gardener
Self Owen, Victualler, (Trow)
Sheriff Elizabeth, Victualler
Skey and Blockhurst, Ironmongers
Skey George, Cider-merchant
Thacker Samuel, Nailer
Thomas Charles, Cork-cutter
Tyler Benjamin, Grocer
Walker Jane, Midwife
Ward Richard, Breeches-maker
Warren John, Gardener
Warren William, Weaver
Weaver Thomas, Baker
Webb Edward, Smith
Williams Thomas, Cooper
Worrall – , Excise-officer

On the left, westward of this town, and which part this county from Herefordshire, are Malvern-hills, which consist of large mountains, prodigiously high and lofty, gradually rising one above another for about seven miles together. On the hills are two villages, called Great Malvern and Little Malvern, at the distance of about two miles from each other, each having had formerly an abbey of Benedictines, the last lying in a dismal cavity between the hills. On the very top of these hills may be seen the ruins of a prodigious ditch, which Gilbert earl of Gloucester dug, to separate his possessions from those of the church of Hereford. On these hills are two medicinal springs, called Holy Wells: one is good for the eyes and liver; and the other for cancers.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Upton upon Severn Burial Records 1866 to 1905 - Upton Website

Cholera Deaths in Upton - Upton Website

Upton upon Severn Marriages 1811 - 1837 - Upton Website

War Memorial Photos - Upton Website

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Bill Thomas, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire, currier, July 3, 1827.
Day John, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestersh., grocer and druggist, Oct. 7, 1828.
Deakin Francis, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire, grocer, Feb. 27, 1821.
Green Daniel, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestersh., linen draper, July 21, 1826.
Hall John, Upton-on-Severn, Worcestershire, builder, Jan. 4, 1828.
Lane Thos., jun., Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestersh., corn dealer, Feb. 24, 1827.

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton-upon-Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Powyke
  • Poor Law Union: Upton-upon-Severn
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury