Upton Snodsbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Cowsdon.
Parish Church: St. Kenelm
Parish registers begin: 1577
Parishes adjacent to Upton Snodsbury
- Grafton Flyford
- Broughton Hackett
- Naunton Beauchamp
- White Ladies Aston
- North Piddle
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Upton-Snodsbury, a parish and a sub-district in Pershore district, Worcestershire. The parish lies 2½ miles E of Spetchley r. station, and 6 E of Worcester; and includes Cowsdon hamlet. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 1,661. Real property, £2,542. Pop., 358. Houses, 76. The manor belongs to Lord Coventry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rev. H. O'Donnell. The church is early English. Charities, £44.—The sub-district contains 15 parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 17,591. Pop., 3,130. Houses, 689.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Upton-Snodsbury – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 6 miles E. from Worcester, and 107 from London; containing 57 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. John Collier, incumbent; instituted 1812; patron, Rev. Henry Green. Population, 1801, 216 – 1811, 268 – 1821, 291.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Upton Snodsbury, a village seven miles north-east from Worcester, remarkable for a circumstance happening on the 7th November, 1707, when Mrs. Palmer and her maid-servant were murdered, and her house burnt, by a gang of desperate villains, at the head of whom were her son, and Mr. Symonds, whose sister Palmer had married. They were both persons of property, Palmer possessing and estate of 200l per ann. and 740l in bonds, &c. and Symonds was descended from Justice Symonds, a zealous friend to Oliver Cromwell, who entertained him at his own house the night before the battle of Worcester. They were executed for this murder and hung in chains here on May 8, 1708.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Upton Snodsbury Marriages 1587 to 1837
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol II. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed.
Upton Snodsbury Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distances – 6 ¼ miles E of Worcester, and 7½ SE of Droitwich.
Population – In 1901, 300. Acreage, 1661.
Postal Information – Post and Telegraph Office, John Boucher, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Worcester at 5.20 a.m.; the delivery Commences at 6 a.m.; despatched at 7.25 p.m. on week-days, and 10. 50 a.m. on Sundays. Telegrams may be sent from 8 am. till 8 p.m. on week-days, and from 8 a.m. till 10 a.m. on Sundays. Money order and savings bank business transacted from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The Wall Letter-box at Cowsdon is cleared at 6.45 p.m. on week-days only.
Parish Church (St. Kenelm’s) – Rev. William James Holden, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. Herbert Tovey and Thos. Warner, Churchwardens; George Handy, Parish Clerk.
Assistant Overseer – Thomas Warner.
Atkins Wm. (Exors. of), farmer, Frog hall
Bomford Mrs. Mary Ann, frmr., Cowsdon hall
Boucher John, general wheelwright and sub-postmaster, Post Office
Bullock Henry, farmer, The Elms farm
Fox Herbert, haulier
Fox William, shopkeeper, Cowsdon
Griffin Wm., bailiff to Richard Hughes
Handy George, blacksmith and parish clerk
Hodges J. A., brewer & beer rtlr. (Royal Oak)
Holden Rev. William James, M.A., (vicar), The Vicarage
Hughes John, farmer, The Court; and at Broughton Hackett
Hughes The Misses, Holyoak farm
Hughes Richard, farmer, Holyoake farm; res., Broom, near Alcester
Hughes Miss Rebecca, farmer, Cowsdon
Jones Walter, cooper
Tandy Henry Mason, carrier, The village farm
Tarran Charles, fruiterer
Tovey Herbert, The Cottage
Warner Thomas, Red Lion Inn & Coventry Arm Inn, farmer, and rate collector
Young Henry, farmer, Bank farm, Cowsdon
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.
Upton Snodsbury Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Upton Snodsbury is a small village and parish, situated about 6 miles E. of Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 341.
Upton Snodsbury derives its appellation from its Saxon owner, Snodes; or as it appears, a part of the parish was originally so called; while Upton Stephani and Upton-juxta-Snodsbury were also so called from the circumstance of their being two, or portions of two manors in this parish. The abbots of Westminster and Pershore subsequently had possession here, which in the time of Henry VIII was granted to the Walsh and Sheldon families, and afterwards fell into the hands of the Coventrys and Littletons.
The Church is an ancient structure, consisting of nave, chancel, south aisle, and western tower, with diagonal buttresses. The aisle is separated by four obtuse arches. The chancel contains memorial to the Rev. H. Greene and family, dated 1805. He was formerly vicar of this parish, and afterwards rector of Earl’s Croome and vicar of Feckenham. There is also one to the Rev. T. Parkes, a previous vicar of this parish, and a stone slab to Richard Claridge, rector of Peopleton, dated 1676. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of the Rev. Henry A. Greene, LL.B., who is also the Vicar; Mr. Thomas Edwin, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.
Charities – The charities of this parish are few in number, and several have been lost for want of proper attention.
Abel Edward, shoe maker
Bennett Francis, victualler and maltster, Red Lion
Bullock John, victualler, Coventry Arms
Bullock John, butcher
Bullock Mary, beer retailer, maltster, and shopkeeper, Royal Oak
Bullock Thomas and Allen, farmers, Owl’s End
Edwin Thomas, blacksmith and Parish Clerk
Checketts George, wheelwright
Hughes Benjamin, farmer, The Court; also of Broughton Hackett
Hughes Richard, farmer, Hollyoak Farm
Jones Thomas, cooper
Pearce George, farmer, Cowsden Hall; also of Walcott and the Hyde Farms
Smith John, grazier, Upton House
Smith Samuel, farmer, Cowsden Bank; also of the Church and North Piddle Farms
Tolley Samuel, farmer, Frog Hall
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Upton Snodsbury Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Upton Snodsbury, 6 miles from Worcester, containing 43 houses, and 216 inhabitants.
Barley John, carpenter
Bullock William, farmer
Bullock John, farmer
Boyd Michael, farmer
Chamberlain John, farmer
Crisp John, farmer
Cubberley Francis, farmer
Davis Thomas, shoemaker
Green Thomas, vict.
Hemming Thos. farmer
Hughes Thomas, farmer
Nott Samuel, carpenter
Pearce Ann, farmer
Smith Samuel, farmer
Wrighton Robert, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Pershore
- Province: Canterbury