Tredington

Photo of Tredington, Warwickshire, St Gregory by saffron100_uk, some rights reserved.

Tredington Worcestershire Family History

Tredington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Newbold, Armscote and Talton, Newbold, Armscott and Talton, Newbold and Armscott, Darlingscott, and Blackwell.

Parish church: St Gregory

Parish registers begin: 1541

Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker

18th. cent. tombs in the nave floor and 15th. cent. bench-ends.

Parishes adjacent to Tredington

Stretton on Fosse Alderminster Halford Ilmington Shipston on Stour Lower Eatington Whitchurch Honington

Historical Descriptions

Tredington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Tredington, a parish, with a village and four hamlets, in the district of Shipston-on-Stour and county of Worcester; on the river Stour, 2 miles N of Shipston and 8 NNE of Moreton-in-Marsh r. station. It has a post-office under Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 5,285. Real property, £7,776. Pop., 1,100. Houses, 271. The property is much subdivided. A monastery was once here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Va. lue, £542. Patron, Jesus’ College, Oxford. The church is ancient. The rectory of Newbold is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £9.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Tredington – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division, 2 miles N. from Shipston-upon-Stour, and 85 from London; containing 213 inhabited houses. The living is a rectory, divided into two portions; Rev. W. H. Jane, D.D. instituted 1807, and the Rev. Thomas Hopkins, 1788, incumbents; in the patronage of Jesus College, Oxford. Population, including the hamlets of Armscot, Blackwell, Worcestershire, Newbold, Darlingscote and Longdon, 1801, 935 – 1811, 964 – 1821, 1030.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Armscote

Armscote The road through the centre of the village towards Illmington with a recently thatched cottage near the Manor. The copyright on this image is owned by David Stowell and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1840

Armscott, a hamlet in the parish of Tredington, Worcestershire; locally situated in the hund. of Kington, Warwick; 3 miles north-west of Shipston-on-Stour; near the Moreton and Avon railway. Pop., in 1801, 152; in 1831, 130. Houses 29.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Armscot – a hamlet in the parish of Treddington, Oswaldslow hundred, upper division; containing 26 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, no return – 1811, no return – 1821, 131.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Blackwell

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Blackwell, a hamlet in the parish of Tredington, hund. of Oswaldslow, county of Worcester; 2½ miles north-north-west of Shipston-upon-Stour, in the vicinity of the Moreton and Stratford-on-Avon railroad. Pop., in 1811, 198; in 1831, 176. Houses 48. Other returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Blackwell, 1 mile W. Tredington. P. 204 Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Blackwell – a hamlet in the parish of Tredington, hundred of Oswaldslow, upper division; containing 48 inhabited houses, Population, 1801, no return – 1811, no return – 1821, 228.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Armscot Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Tredington Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Tredington with Shipston upon Stour
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Kineton
  • Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury