Tibberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish of Tibberton includes: Evelench
Alternative names: Tibritton and Tidbrightingtone
Parish Church: St. Peter ad Vincula
Parish registers begin: 1680
The church was rebuilt in 1868 at a cost of £1,190, and now consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and wooden bell-turret with a spirelet at the west end. It is in the Early English style of architecture, from the designs of W. J. Hopkins, Esq. of Worcester; date of consecration, June 2nd, 1868.
Parishes adjacent to Tibberton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Tibberton, a parish, with a village, in Droitwich district, Worcestershire; 2 miles N of Spetchley r. station, and 3¾ ENE of Worcester. It has a post-office under Droitwich. Acres, 1,320. Real property, £2,131. Pop., 309. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Bredicot. The church is of the 13th century.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tibberton (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Newport (sic Droitwich?), Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (ENE) from Worcester; containing 339 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1202a. 1r. 26p., of land: some of the inhabitants are employed in making gloves for the Worcester manufacturers. The Gloucester and Birmingham railway passes through the parish, and the Birmingham and Worcester canal along the north-western boundary. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester (the appropriators), valued in the king’s books at £3. 15. 10.; net income, £132. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1810; the glebe contains 72 acres. The church was repewed and beautified in 1841. There is a place of worship for Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Tibberton – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 3 ½ miles N.E. from Worcester, and 115 from London; containing 55 inhabited houses; Rev. T. Price, incumbent; instituted 1794; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 208 – 1811, 250 – 1821, 288.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Tibberton lies to the east of the city, and is an extensive parish, in which, much to the credit of its inhabitants, enclosures upon a very large scale are now taking place; the public and private roads throughout which are designed upon such a liberal plan, as must ultimately tend much to the advantage of the neighbourhood. It contains nothing remarkable, but we must not omit two strange stories preserved by Mr. Fellowes, Vicar of Tibberton, in 1718, in his MS. Account of the parish. One is of a Roger Tandy, who was so very strong, that, whilst at Sir John Pakington’s, at Westwood, in the reign of James I he took up a hogshead of beer, and having drunk out of the bunghole, set it down on the ground again, by the mere strength of his arms, without even resting it on his knee, or elsewhere. The other is a kind of cotemporary story with the narrator, for Hugh Pescod, commonly called the “little Turk,” who was alive in his day, declared upon his oath, that, as for as he was capable of judging, he was hanged up by the neck for half an hour in a pear-tree near Tibberton, by Oliver Cromwell’s troops, in August, 1651. Being afterwards cut down, and thrown into a saw-pit, he recovered; in memory of which he planted several elm-trees near his orchard! It would have been more appropriate indeed to have planted a row of pear-trees; but probably he had taken a distaste to them!
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Tibberton Littleburys Worcestershire Directory 1879
Tibberton Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Tibberton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Lilley John, Tibberton, Worcestersh., dealer in corn and seeds, March 23, 1830.
Shuard William. Tibberton, late Spetchley, Worcestersh., builder, Sept. 1, 1837.
Family History Links
[gallery type="rectangular" ids="11094,11083,11082,11091,11095,11081,11089,11088,11087,11086,11092,11093,11090,11085,11084,9701"]
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester
- County Court District: Worcester
- Polling District: Broughton Hackett
- Highway District: Upton Snodsbury