Throckmorton is a chapelry of Fladbury Ancient Parish in Worcestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1545
Parishes adjacent to Throckmorton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THROCKMORTON, a chapelry in Fladbury parish, Worcester; 2 miles NNE of Pershore r. station. Post town, Pershore. Acres, 1,560. Rated property, £1,240. Pop., 152. Houses, 36. The property belongs to Sir R. Throckmorton. The living is annexed to Fladbury. The church is early Norman and good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Throckmorton, co. Worcester.
P. T. Pershore (106) 3 m. NE. Pop. 153.
A township and chapelry in the parish of Fladbury and middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow; living, a curacy subordinate to the rectory of Fladbury, exempt from visitation and in the diocese of Worcester, not in charge; patronage with Fladbury rectory.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Throgmorton [sic] – a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Fladbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles N.E. from Pershore, and 106 from London; containing 29 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 150 – 1811, 164 – 1821, 153.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Throckmorton Worcestershire Littleburys Directory 1879
Throckmorton is a chapelry to Fladbury, distant 4 miles N.E. of Pershore, 10 S.E. of Worcester, and about 2 from Pershore railway station on the Great Western railway; is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; poor-law union, petty sessional division, polling district, and county court district of Pershore; annual rateable value, £1,773; area of chapelry, 1,560 acres; population in 1861, 152; in 1871, 170, with 38 inhabited houses and 48 families or separate occupiers. The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel and sand; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, &c. Sir Nicholas William George Throckmorton, Bart., of Coughton court, near Redditch, is lord of the manor, and the other principal landowners are Benjamin Workman, Esq., and the Rev. W. P. A. Campbell. The ancient church is at the N. end of the village; it is in the Norman style, and consists of nave and chancel, with a square tower containing four bells. It was restored in 1834, at a cost of £372, raised by subscription. The earliest register is dated 1546. The living is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Feckenham; it is a chapelry annexed to Fladbury rectory; patron, the Bishop of Worcester; rector, Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., Queen’s College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1877. (For further ecclesiastical particulars, see Fladbury.) The national school for boys and girls was built in 1874.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Pershore, and are despatched thereto at 5.45 p.m. Pershore is the nearest money-order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church. – Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., Rector of Fladbury with Throckmorton, &c.; Rev. John Westcott Stoneman, B.A., Curate; Mr. William James, Churchwarden; Joseph Clark, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Hunt, Mistress.
Carrier to Evesham. – David Malins, every Monday.
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Bomford Benjamin, farmer, Court farm and Tilesford farm; res., Pitchill, Salford Priors, near Evesham
Clark Joseph, parish clerk
Hunt Miss, schoolmistress
James George, farm bailiff to B. Bomford, Esq., Tilesford
Malins David, shoemaker and carrier
Rimell William, farmer, Lower farm
Smith Thomas, farm bailiff to B. Bomford, Esq., Court farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Throckmorton Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Buckle John F., farmer, The Church Farm
Chattaway Richard, farmer, The Court
Grizzell Edward, blacksmith Izard Henry, cooper
Partington Jane, farmer, Tilesford Farm
Smith Susannah, farmer
Source: Billings Directory 1855
Throckmorton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
Clemonts John, farmer
Curtis Jane, farmer
Partington Mrs. farmer
Woodward Thos. farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Pershore
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Fladbury
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Pershore
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
[gallery type="rectangular" ids="11101,11102,11106,11107,11103,11100,11104,11105,11108,11109,11099"]