Market Street Tenbury

Tenbury is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Worcestershire.

Alternative names: Tenbury Wells

Other places in the parish include: Kyrewood, Berrington, Tenbury Foreign with Kyrewood, and Sutton.

Parish church: St. Mary the Virgin

Parish registers begin: 1653

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Trade: hops, cider and perry, malting and tanning

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Tenbury


View Larger Map

Parish History

Tenbury

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

TENBURY, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Worcestershire. The town stands on the river Teme, and on the Tenbury railway, 22 miles NW by W of Worcester; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling place; has, of late years, been much improved; attracts notice by the recent discovery of mineral waters at it, and by the erection of a pump-room and bathrooms; and has a head post-office, a r. station, a banking office, several inns, a new corn exchange, a market house, an old church restored in 1865, a Baptist chapel, a handsome national school, a workhouse, charities £80, a weekly market on Tuesday, and five annual fairs. Considerable trade is done in hops and cider; and some malting and tanning are carried on-Pop., 1,171. Houses, 234. The parish includes Kyrewood, Sutton, and Berrington hamlets; and comprises 5,060 acres. Real property, £11,836. Pop. in 1851, 1,786; in 1861, 1,947. Houses, 386. The church and college of St. Michael are near the town; and the college is devoted to music, classics, and mathematics, and has foundation-scholarships. The head living is a vicarage, and that of St. Michael is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, of the former, £754; of the latter, £60. Patron, of the former, the Rev. T. A. Smith: of the latter, the Rev. Sir F. A. G. Ouseley, Bart. The sub-district contains 5 parishes. Acres, 18,164. Pop., 4,320. Houses, 875. The district includes also Bockleton sub-district, and comprises 35,941 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £3,744. Pop. in 1851, 7,047; in 1861, 7,366. Houses, 1,523. Marriages in 1863, 43; births, 215,-of which 22 were illegitimate; deaths, 140,-of which 53 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 436; births, 2,060; deaths, 1,243. The places of worship, in 1851, were 18 of the Church of England , with 3,741 sittings; 1 of Baptists, with 120 s.; 3 of Wesleyans, with 228 s.; and 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 170 s. The schools were 8 public day-schools, with 475 scholars; 14 private day-schools, with 195 s.; and 11 Sunday schools, with 573 s.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Tenbury (St. Mary the Virgin), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester; containing, with the hamlets of Berrington, Sutton, and Tenbury-Foreign with Kyrewood, 1849 inhabitants, of which number 1177 are in the town, 22 miles (N. W. by W.) from Worcester, and 134 (N. W. by W.) from London. This place, originally called Temebury, derives its name from the Teme, which is here a considerable river, separating Worcestershire from Salop, and crossed at the northern entrance into the town by a bridge of six arches. The town consists of two streets, intersecting nearly at right angles, and partially paved; the houses in general are indifferently built, but some improvements have been effected, and a company for lighting the town with gas was established in 1841. Races are held in June, on a good course about a mile south. A mineral spring was discovered in July, 1839, by some workmen sinking a well on the premises of S. H. Godson, Esq., and appears likely to raise Tenbury to a high rank among British watering-places. The water, which sprang up suddenly from a bed of limestone lying under a massive stratum of old red sandstone, was found to be about 32 feet below the surface, and exhibited a bright sparkling appearance. Several analyses of its contents have been made, differing in some respects from each other, but all exhibiting chloride of sodium, and chloride of calcium (muriate of lime), as the principal ingredients. The proprietor has built a pump-room over the spring, which was opened on the 1st of June, 1840, and baths on the most improved principles have been erected, which have been visited by numerous families of respectability and distinction; a band attends on the promenade, and every attention is paid to the accommodation of visiters. Another well for mineral water has lately been sunk to the depth of 62 feet.

The surrounding country is rich and beautiful, and very productive of hops and apples; great quantities of cider and perry are made, forming a principal source of trade, and returning large profits to the farmers. From the years 1829 to 1835, the average number of acres of hops in cultivation was 330; the average quantity of hops grown is 63,115lb., and of duty paid £529. There are also a considerable malting trade and a tannery. A canal, commenced in 1794, and originally intended to extend from Leominster to the Severn near Stourport, but not carried through the whole distance, passes within half a mile of the town. The market granted by Henry III. in 1249 is on Tuesday ; the building for the corn-market is an ancient structure, but the butter-cross is more recent. Fairs are held on the Tuesday before the 25th of March, on April 22nd, May 1st, Sept. 26th, and Dec. 3rd; petty-sessions take place once in two months, and a court leet and court baron are held. The parish comprises 5179a. 2r. 9p. The living is a vicarage, with Rochford annexed, valued in the king’s books at £21, and endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes; net income, £607; patron and incumbent, the Rev. George Hall; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, R. Bagnall, Esq., and others. The church, erected in the 11th century, was rebuilt in 1777, the old structure having been swept away by a flood in November 1770; it is a spacious and neat edifice, and had formerly a chantry attached to it, which; was valued at the period of the suppression at £5. 0. 6. per annum. The church belonged to the monastery of Lyra, in Normandy, till the year 1414, when Henry V. transferred its rights and revenues to the monastery of Sheen, in Surrey, with which it was connected till the Dissolution. There is a place of worship for Baptists.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Tenbury – a small market town in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 22 miles N.W. from Worcester, and 134 from London; containing with the Foreign 255 inhabited houses. It is situated in a pleasant country, on the bank of the river Teme, which divides this part of the county from Salop. The town is well paved, and kept very clean, but cannot boast of many good houses. A small river, which rises in Kyre Park, flows with a rapid course under a bridge at the S.W. end of the town, and falls into the Teme. Tenbury, from its low situation, is very subject to floods. On the 17th November, 1770, the great flood which then took place threw down the side and middle aisles in the church, swept away the windows, injured several of the monuments, and destroyed the organ, which has since been replaced. There is no manufacture carried on in the town, but considerable business is done in hops and cider, of which large quantities are grown in the neighbourhood. The market is on Tuesday, and there are three fairs annually, viz. 26th April, 18th July, and 26th Sept. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. Thomas Rocke, D.D. incumbent; instituted 1785; patroness, Mrs. Hill. Population, 1801, 1143 – 1811, 1562 – 1821, 1268.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Berrington

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

BERRINGTON, a hamlet in Tenbury parish, Worcester; on the river Teme, 2 miles WNW of Tenbury. Pop., 234. Houses, 48.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Berrington, co. Worcester.

P. T Tenbury (130) 2 m. W b S. Pop. 195.

A township in the parish of Tenbury and hundred of Doddingtree.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Berrington – a hamlet in the parish of Tenbury, Doddingtree hundred, upper division, 136 miles from London, on the borders of Shropshire, containing 40 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 189 – 1811, 192 – 1821, 195

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Kyrewood

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

KYREWOOD, a hamlet in Tenbury parish, Worcester; on the river Teme, in Tenbury Foreign, near Tenbury. Pop., 27.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Sutton

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

SUTTON, a hamlet in Tenbury parish, Worcester; 2 miles SE of Tenbury. Pop., 170. Houses, 29.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

WORCESTERSHIRE DELINEATED C. AND J. GREENWOOD 1822

Sutton – a hamlet in the parish of Tenbury, hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 2 miles S. from Tenbury, and 136 from London; containing 39 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 214 – 1811, no return – 1821, 205.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Tenbury Foreign

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Tenbury-Foreign, a hamlet, in the parish of Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester; containing, with Kyrewood, 279 inhabitants, and comprising 1522 acres, of which 69 are common or waste land.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

Directories

Tenbury Bennett’s Business Directory for Worcestershire, 1914

Tenbury – Pigot’s Directory of Worcestershire 1842

Is a market town and parish in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, 132 miles N.W. from London, 39 S. from Shrewsbury, 23 N. from Hereford, and 20 N.W. by W. from Worcester; situated in a fertile and picturesque part of the country, at the western verge of the county abutting upon Shropshire and Herefordshire, and on the southern bank of the Teme – from which river the town is said to derive a portion of its name, which originally was written Temebury. The river, which here separates the counties of Worcester and Salop, is crossed, at the northern entrance of the town, by a bridge of six arches. The surrounding district is rich, and very productive of hops and apples: during the season of the latter cider is made here in considerable quantities, and the trade in malt is of some consequence. Accommodation for travellers is afforded by good inns; the principal one is the ‘Swan’, an old and well established house. From a recent discovery of a powerful medicinal spring, and the establishment of baths here, this town is expected to become of importance as a watering place. Races are held annually, in the latter end of June, on a good course, about a mile south of the town. The Hon. and Rev. George Rushout Bowles, of Burford, is lord of the manor, and holds a court leet and court baron occasionally; and petty sessions are held once in two months. Tenbury is a polling station at the election of members to represent the western division of the county.
The places of worship are the parish church of Saint Mary, and a chapel for particular Baptists. The church, which was rebuilt in 1777 (the old building having been swept away by a flood in 1770), is a spacious and neat edifice: the benefice is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Rochford annexed, in the patronage of the Rev. George Hall, who is the present incumbent. A national school, first established here in 1816, is supported by voluntary contributions. The market, granted by Henry III in 1249, is held on Tuesday; and the fairs on the first Tuesday in March, 22nd April, first Tuesday after Trinity Sunday, 18th July, 26th September and 9th December; and there is a statue meeting for hiring servants on the 1st May. The parish of Tenbury (including the hamlets of BERRINGTON, SUTTON, and TENBURY–FOREIGN,) contained, in 1831, 1768 inhabitants.
POST OFFICE, Teme – Street, Benjamin Home, Post Master – Letters from London and all parts South arrive every day (Monday excepted) at twelve, & are despatched every aftern. At half-past two – Letters from the North, &c, arrive (from Ludlow) every aftern. At half-past two, and are despatched every day at twelve.

GENTRY & CLERGY

Blakeway Mr. Thomas, Teme st
Bowles Honourable and Rev. George Rushout, Burford
Cockburn Rev. -, Vicarage, Little Hereford
Godson Rev. John, Cross st
Godson Septimus Holmes, esq. Teme st
Hall Rev. Geo. M.A. (vicar) Church st
Rushout Captain George, Burford house
Wheeler Vincent, esq. Newnham Court

ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS

Hickman Eliza (ladies’ boarding and day) Teme st
Home Thomas (boarding) Teme st
Jones Sarah (boarding) Teme st
National School, Cross street – Alfred Churchill, master; Theophilia Roberts, mistress
Palmer Susannah, Trumpet yard
Watts Elizabeth, Teme st

BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS

Evans John, Teme st
Jones Edwd. (& confectioner) Teme st
Juson John, Teme st
Morgan John (& confectioner) Teme st
Probert Thomas, Teme st
Tyler Thomas, Cross st

BANK

Ludlow and Tenbury Bank, Market street – (draws on Barnetts, Hoare & Co. London) – (open on Tuesdays) – Henry Whittenhall, manager

BLACKSMITHS

Blakeway John, Cross st
Cork John, Teme st
Jones William, Cross st
Shepherd Edward, Heath common
Webb William, Teme st

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS

Fletcher William, Cross st
Gent James, Teme st
Handley Samuel, Teme st
Haynes Thomas, Cross st
Morgan Henry, Teme st
Parker Joseph, Cross st
Roberts Edward, Teme st
Smith James, Old wood
Williams Charles, Teme st

BRAZIERS & TINMEN

Palmer James, Market st
Pountney George, Teme st

BUTCHERS

Broome William, Market st
Pearce John, Market st
Williams Charles, Teme st

CHYMISTS & DRUGGISTS

Eckley John, Teme st
Meredith Richard, Teme st
Slade Robert, Teme st

FIRE, &C OFFICE AGENTS

Farmers’ and General, Benjamin Home, Teme st
Globe, Matthias Trumper, Teme st
Guardian, Chas. Steward, Cross st
Norwich, Edwd. Smith, Market st
Phoenix, Thomas Evans, Church st

GROCERS & DRAPERS

(see also Linen Drapers; and also Shopkeepers, &c)
Benbow Thomas, Cross st
Giles George L. Market st
Hall Mary, Cross st
Jarman John, Teme st
Jones James, Cross st
Meredith Richard, Teme st
Russell William, Market st
Woodward Henry, Teme st

INNS

Royal Oak, G F Kemp (and excise office) Market st
Swan Hotel (commercial & posting) William Grove, Ludlow road

IRONMONGERS

Giles George Lewis, Market st
Pountney George, Teme st

JOINERS & CARPENTERS

Dovey James, Cross st
Griffin George, Tenbury
Parker Richard, Cross st
Smith Samuel (and cabinet maker) Market st
Sparrow John, Teme st
Wheeler James, Cross st

LINEN DRAPERS

Benbow Thomas, Cross st
Green Benjamin, Teme st
Grove Thomas, Market st
Harding William, Teme st
Russell William, Market st

MALSTERS

Bangham Thomas, Teme st
Giles William, Church st

MILLINERS & DRESS MAKERS

Ashcroft Sarah & Ann, Teme st
Blount Elizabeth, Trumpet yard
Collings Letitia, Teme st
Giles Mary, Church st
Godsall Sarah, Teme st
Griffin Eliza, Trapp
Griffiths Sophia, Cross st
Holloway Elizabeth, Teme st
Jeff Sarah, Market st
Jones Elizabeth, Teme st
Postans Ann, Trumpet yard

NAIL MAKERS

Andrews Martha, Market st
Dearn John, Cross st

PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS

Crane Ann, Teme st
Godsall Samuel, Teme st
Jeffries William, Teme st
Jenkins Thomas, Market st

SADDLERS

Page John, Teme st
Pound James, Market st
Wade Richard, Teme st

SHOPKEEPERS & DEALERS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES

Evans John, Teme st
Fletcher Elizabeth, Cross st
Giles George Lewis, Market st
Hall John, Cross st
Juson John, Teme st
Merrick Joseph, Church st
Patteshall John, Cross st
Poston William, Market st
Powell William, Market st

STONE MASONS & BRICKLAYERS

Everall John, Cross st
Hooper Thomas, Tripp
Mills Edward, Cross st
Mills Thomas, Cross st

SURGEONS

Cooke & Thompson, Cross st
Cooke Joseph, Church st
Davis Henry, Teme st
Giles Peter, Teme st

SURVEYORS

Home Benjamin, Teme st
Seyer Benjamin, Old wood

TAILORS

Bishop James, Cross st
Carter John, Teme st
Hnadley Richard, Teme st
Jeff William, Teme st
Jones William, Teme st
Steward Charles, Cross st
Wilden Samuel, Teme st
Wolloms John, Cross st

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES

Bay Horse, Robt. Robinson, Teme st
Bell, Martha Andrews, Market st
Crow, Joseph Griffiths, Teme st
King’s Head, Philip Pound, Cross st
Ship, Edmund Clarke, Teme st
Union, Samuel Wilden, Teme st

MISCELLANEOUS

Ameyes Edward, beer retailer, Cross st
Brookes John, veterinary surgeon, Teme st
Fletcher William, last maker, Cross st
Foster Thomas, currier, Teme st
Gent James, beer retailer, Teme st
Giles, Geo. Lewis, tallow chandler, Market st
Green Geo, watch & clock maker, Teme st
Home Benjamin, bookseller, stationer and printer, Teme st
Hunt William, wheelwright, Cross st
Juson John, beer retailer, Teme st
Mantle Thomas, carver or coal, Teme st
Merrick Jos, gardener & seedsmn, Church st
Middleton Sophia, straw hat maker and toy dealer, Teme st
Mitton John & James, millers, Watmore
Nott Richard, cooper, Cross st
Parker Richard, timber merchant, Cross st
Patishall John, beer retailer, Cross st
Poston William, glover, Market st
Trumper Matthias, superintendent registrar, Teme st
Union Workhouse, Teme st – John Hammond, governor
Wier John, millwirght, Cross st
Williams Charles, butcher, Teme st
Yarranton Thos, tanner, Berrington lane

COACHES

To London, the Royal Mail (from Ludlow) calls at the Swan, every afternoon at half-past two; goes through Worcester and Pershore.
To Birmingham, the Red Rover (from Ludlow) calls at the Swan, every morning (Sunday excepted) at a quarter past nine; goes through Bewdley, Kidderminster, Stourbridge, Dudley, &c
To Ludlow, the Royal Mail (from London) calls at the Swan every day at twelve – and the Red Rover (from Birmingham) every night (Sunday excepted) at seven.
To Worcester, the Royal Mail (from Ludlow) calls at the Swan, every afternoon at half-past two.

CARRIERS

To London – Jolly’s Waggon, from the Swan, twice a week; goes through Worcester.
To Birmingham, – Jolly’s Waggon, from the Swan every Sunday & Wed.
To Leominster, Joseph Harris, from the Bay Horse, every Tuesday.
To Ludlow, – Jolly’s Waggon, from the Swan, every Tuesday and Friday.
To Stourport, James Yapp, once a fortnight.
To Worcester, Jolly’s Waggon, from the Swan, twice a week; & James Yapp, every Friday.

Source: Pigot & Co.’s Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the Counties of Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Rutlandshire, Northamptonshire, Staffordshire and Worcestershire 1841/1842

Tenbury Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Tenbury, a market town, 22 miles from Worcester, 9 from Leominster, and 134 from London. It is situated on the bank of the river Team [sic] which divides it from Salop. According to the last census in 1811, it contained 185 houses and 905 inhabitants, exclusive of the Hamlet called the Foreign, containing 44 houses and 233 inhabitants. On the north side of the town is a neat stone Bridge consisting of six arches over the river Team, which divides the counties of Worcester and Salop. The river here is very subject to flood, as on the south side of the town a small brook called Kyre empties itself into the Team, and is often blocked up by it. The great flood, November 17th, 1770, threw down the south and middle aisles of the church, by which means the windows, organ, &c. were broken, and the monuments much injured. Here are annual horse races, respectably attended. The market is on Tuesday, and its fairs are 25th of April, 18th of July, and 26th of September.

DIRECTORY.

A.

Andrews George, Vict. Bell Inn, Market street

B.

Bangham Edward, Maltster, Team street
Benbow Thomas, Draper and Grocer, Cross
Blakeway Thomas, Mercer and Draper, Team street
Brunt Elizabeth, Toy Shop, Team street
Burbridge John, Shopkeeper, Team street

C.

Carter Joseph, Tailor, Team street
Cheese John, Surgeon, Cross
Clarke Thomas, Surgeon, Team street
Clarke William, Butcher, Team street
Colley George, Draper, Team street
Collins John, Shoe Maker, Team street
Collins Jane, Stay Maker, Team street
Crane Samuel, Plumber and Glazier, Team street

D.

Davis Thomas, Surgeon, Market street
Deakins, Richard, Vict. Crown Inn, Team street
Dearne Joseph, Nail Ironmonger Cross street
Dovey James, Wheelwright, Cross street
Drew Thomas, Vict. Royal Oak, Market street

E.

Evans Thomas, Grocer and Spirit Merchant, Cross
Evans Thomas, Brick Maker, Cross street
Everall Joseph, Flax Dresser, Team street

F.

Fletcher William, Shoe Maker, Cross street
Foster John, Shopkeeper, Cross street
Foster Thomas, Team street

G.

Gent James, Shoe Maker, Cross street
Giles Benjamin, Chandler, Ironmonger, Hop Merchant, and Maltster, Market street
Godson William, Solicitor, Team street
Godson Septimus Holmes, Solicitor, Team street
Green T. L. Mercer and Draper, Team street
Green William, Clock and Watch Maker, Market street
Greenly William, Shoe Maker, Market street
Griffiths John, Vict. Crow Inn, Team street

H.

Handley Samuel, Shoe Maker, Team street
Hill William, Shopkeeper, Cross street
Holland Rev. Thomas, Cross
Holloway Williams, Shoe Maker, Team street
Home Thomas, Land Surveyor and Schoolmaster, Team street
Home Benjamin, Printer and Stationer, Team street
Hooper Mrs. Ladies Seminary, Cross
Howell George, Saddler, Market street

J.

Jeffries William, Sen. Butcher, Team street
Jeffries Richard, Butcher and Farmer, Team street
Johnson Alexander, Gent. Church street
Jones William, Tailor, Team street
Jones Samuel, Team street
Jukes George, Vict. Ship, Team street

K.

Knowles Mrs. Gentlewoman, Cross street

L.

Lane John, Draper, Market street

M.

Mansell Thomas, Vict. Talbot, Team street
Mason Ann, Milliner, Cross
Maund Edward, Confectioner, Team street
Maund Mary, Widow, Team street
Merrick James, Saddler and Brazier, Team street
Middleton Sophia, Straw Bonnet Maker, Team st.
Mills Edward, Stone Mason, Cross street
Morgan James, Hatter, Team street
Morgan John, Baker, Market street
Morris Misses, Gentlewomen, Cross street

O.

Oliver John, Draper, Team street
Oseland Samuel, Shopkeeper, Church street

P.

Page John, Saddler and Brazier, Team street
Page Richard, Druggist, Team street
Penny Eleanor, Gentlewoman, Team street
Perks Thomas, Shopkeeper, Team street
Post Office, Team street, William Home, Post Master
Poston William, Breeches Maker, Market street
Pound James, Butcher, Market street
Pound James, Saddler, Team street
Pound Phillip, Vict. King’s Head, Cross street
Probin John, Cooper, Team street

R.

Robinson and Cowburn, Solicitors, Team street
Rocke Rev. Thomas, Rector, Cross
Russell John, Draper, Market street

S.

Sanders Richard, Clothes Shop, Team street
Smith James, Plumber and Glazier, Team street
Smith Samuel, Joiner, Team street

W.

Webb George, Gun Locksmith, Cross street
Wilden Samuel, Tailor, Team street
Wheeler Edward, Sen. Esq. Kyrewood
Wheeler Edward, jun. Solicitor, Cross
Wheeler James, Carpenter and Turner, Cross st.
Whittall George, Tailor and Draper, Market st.
Williams Charles, Shoe Maker, Team street
Wollams John, Tailor, Cross street
Wood Rev. Vincent. Market street

Y.

Yates William, Team street
Yapp James, Shopkeeper, Cross street
Yarranton Thomas, Tanner, Barrington house

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Tenbury (Foreign) Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Adams William, farmer
Barnes Richard, farmer
Chilton Richard, farmer
Clark John, farmer
Davis Robert, farmer
Hill Phillip, farmer
Hill Matthew, farmer
Jefferis William, farmer
Moor John, miller
Nichols James, farmer
Pound Thomas, farmer
Reynolds Sam. Farmer
Smith James, shoemaker
Steward John, farmer
Taylor Benjamin, farmer
Waring James, farmer
Wheeler Edw. Solicitor
Wheeler V. W. gent.

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820

Berrington Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Adams Sarah, farmer
Badger Thomas, farmer
Blacklock Wm., farmer
Bradley John, farmer
Davis John, farmer
Davis John, Jun., farmer
Fillam John, farmer
Green Samuel, farmer
Jones William, farmer
Maund Richard, smith
Pitt John, farmer
Powell Francis, farmer
Price Thomas, farmer
Saunders – farmer
Steward Edward, farmer
Weyman Thomas, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Sutton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Amyes John, miller
Baldwin Phillip, farmer
Chambers Thos. farmer
Davis Thomas, farmer
Johnson W. sen. farmer
Johnson W. jun. farmer
Owens Richard, farmer
Robinson James, farmer
Swann Charles, farmer
Walker Charles, farmer
Webb George, farmer
Winter George, farmer
Yates William, farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tenbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Tenbury
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts