Tardebigge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Redditch is a chapelry of Tardebigge.
Other places in the parish include: Bordesley Chapel, Bentley Pauncefoot, Upper and Lower Bentley, Tutnall and Cobley, and Webheath.
Parish registers begin: Tardebigge, 1566 Bordesley Chapel, 1704
Tardebigg (St. Batholomew), a parish, in the union of Bromsgrove, partly in the Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, but chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Bromsgrove; containing, with the chapelry of Redditch, and the townships of Tutnall with Cobley, Bentley-Pauncefoot, and Webheath, 4877 inhabitants. This parish, of which the name signifies “the big tower,” or “tower on the hill,” is on the road from Bromsgrove to Alcester, and comprises 10,832 acres, of a very fertile, but heavy clayey soil, of which 3000 acres are woodland, and the remainder arable and meadow in about equal portions. Hewell, the seat of the Hon. Robert Henry Clive, is situated here in a demesne highly embellished, in which is a lake of 30 acres; and Foxlydiate House, the property and residence of William Hemming, Esq., has neat pleasure-grounds and gardens attached. The Birmingham and Worcester canal and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway run through the parish. Fairs are held oh the first Monday in August and the third Monday in September, for cattle.
The Living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8, and in the patronage of Mr. and Lady Harriet Clive, to whom the impropriation also belongs: the great tithes have been commuted for £1254, and the vicarial for £600, with a glebe of 41½ acres, and a house. The church, rebuilt in 1776, is an elegant structure in the Grecian style, with a very beautiful spire, and contains a monument to Sir Thomas Cookes, Bart., a former proprietor, and founder of Worcester College, Oxford, and another by Chantrey to the late Earl of Plymouth, whose remains are interred in the family vault beneath: this edifice, and the chapel at Redditch, were built of excellent stone raised here. In the churchyard, from which a panoramic prospect is obtained, are schools, prettily situated, with residence for the master and mistress, rebuilt in 1843, at the expense of Lady Harriet Clive, and partly supported by her ladyship. At Tardebigg is the site of Bordesley Abbey, supposed to have been originally founded by Maud, daughter of Henry I., and of which the revenue was valued at the Dissolution at £392. 8. 6.; the site and remains were granted by Henry VIII. in exchange to Lord Windsor, one of the ancestors of the late Earl of Plymouth. The remains of an old chapel dedicated to St. Stephen, were discovered a few years ago, at Bentley-Pauncefoot, which seems to have been anciently a distinct chapelry.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Tardebrigg or Tardebigg - 3 miles south-east from Bromsgrove, and 113 from London, - is almost, exclusively, a parish in Halfshire hundred, in Worcestershire, although the hamlets of Tutnal and Cobley are in the same parish, but in the hundred of Barlichway, in the county of Warwick, as was the chancel of the church, notwithstanding, the body of it was in Worcestershire. In 1826, it contained 581 houses and 2998 inhabitants, including Bordesley, of whom 375 are employed in trade. The church has been rebuilt, and is a vicarage value £8. Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Tardibigg – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 5 miles S.E. from Bromsgrove, and 113 from London; containing 581 inhabited houses. The boundary line between this County and Warwickshire runs through this parish. The church is a neat edifice, lately erected, and has a good organ. It is a rectory, with the chapelry of Redditch annexed; Rev. Lord Aston, incumbent; instituted 1821; patron, Earl of Plymouth. Population, 1801, 1922 – 1811, 2771 – 1821, 2998. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Tutnal and Cobley – Two hamlets in the parish of Tardebigg, although in Barlichway hundred, in the county of Warwick. In 1803, the sum raised by parochial rates was £393 8s.8d. at 3s. 8d. in the pound. In 1811, their population was about 400. In 1821, they contained 85 houses and 460 inhabitants. In 1826, they were valued at £4914, and their population to the county rate was £20 9s. 6d. It is stated that Dugdale could find but slight mention of these hamlets, except in their being granted with Hewell Grange, to the monks of Bordesley, in Worcestershire. At the dissolution they were granted by Henry VIII in exchange to Lord Windsor, an ancestor of the Earl of Plymouth, whose seat at Hewell Grange was erected in 1712. It is situate in a small detached part of the county, completely environed by Worcestershire. It is a noble mansion, and surrounded by a park, agreeably varied by hill and dale, and ornamented with a lake covering 30 acres. Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Hewell Grange by Leonig_Mig. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported. Hewel-Grange, in the parish of Tardebigg, the seat of the Earl of Plymouth. The mansion is a modern building and very extensive, having a frontage of 127 feet. The division between this county and Warwickshire runs through the house. The plantations in the park are on a large scale, and a lake of clear water, of about 30 acres, adds much to the beauty of the place. Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
TARDEBIGG is situated 2½ miles E. from Bromsgrove, and contained in 1851 a population of 1621 inhabitants.
The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a plain modern building, consisting of nave and chancel, with western tower and spire. On the east wall, at the right of the altar, is a memorial to the late Earl of Plymouth (by Chantrey); and at the opposite side is a carved marble monument to Sir Thomas Cookes, the founder of Worcester College, Oxford, a member of an ancient family once possessing property in this parish. The font was resented by the Bartleet family of Redditch, as a memorial of two members of the family. The living is a Vicarage, in the patronage of Lady H. Clive. Rev. John F. Mackarness, M.A., Vicar; Joseph Cund, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
EBENEZER CHAPEL, Webb Heath, is a small, neat brick building, erected 1849, supplied by circuit preachers. Service – 3 and 6 p.m.
The SCHOOL, conducted on the national system, was erected and principally supported by Lady H. Clive, and is under Diocesan inspection. Mr. F. Davies, Master; Charlotte Davies, Mistress. Number of boys, 40; girls, 40.
Clive Lady Harriet, Hewell Grange
Harris Mrs. Stony Lane Cottage
Mackarness Rev. John F., M.A., Vicar, Vicarage
Adams John, coal merchant and shopkeeper
Billing Elizabeth, beer retailer, The Elbows
Bladon Edward, park and game keeper to Lady H. Clive
Bradley William, farmer, High House
Buckley Thomas, farmer, Hewell Farm
Dixon Thomas, sen., corn, coal, and lime merchant, Stony Lane
Dixon Thomas, jun., corn, coal, and lime merchant, Stony Lane
Green William, farmer, Brockhill
Hall Thomas, coal and lime merchant, Wharf
Harris Thomas, farmer, Stony Lane
Holder Susannah, farmer, Wheeley Farm
James James, shopkeeper
Mander John, farmer, Blackwell
Markham Isaac, gardener to Lady Harriet Clive
Millward William, farmer, Cherry Tree Hill
Partridge Isaac H., farmer, Dust House
Partridge William, farmer, Cattespoole
Pearman James, farmer, Ox Leasowes
Taylor Samuel, victualler and farmer, Plymouth Arms commercial inn
Turley John, blacksmith
Walford John, farmer, The Grange
Woollaston Francis, farmer, White’s Farm
Emmott Captain William, The Mount
Bladon John, farmer, Cobley Hill
Boulton Robert, veterinary surgeon
Cullwick John, farmer, Tutnell Farm; also of the High Barn
Cund Joseph, wheelwright, and Parish Clerk
Howard Thomas, farmer, Cobley Hill
Meason John, farmer, Cobley Hill
Moore John, farmer
Sandford The Venerable Archdeacon, Foxlydiate House
Andrews William, victualler and needle maker, Rose and Crown
Ballard Thomas, shoe maker
Brown Wm., brick maker, and Constable
Buckley Thomas, farmer, Hewell Lane Farm
Cotterill Richard, farmer, Lane House
Harris Esau, shoe maker, butcher, and shopkeeper
Hemming Richard, farmer, Spring Hill
Hick Thomas, carpenter and dairyman
Hunt John, brick maker
Lucas William, saw mills
Perkins John, grocer and provision dealer, Foxlydiate
Rudge William, farmer, Boxnot Farm
Sealey John, coal merchant and beer retailer, Woodman
Thomas Charles, fish-hook maker
Thornton Sarah, dress maker
Walford Susannah, farmer, The Tack
Walford William, farmer, Foxlydiate
Whieldon Benjamin, farmer, Holyoakes
Yarnall William, victualler, Fox and Goose, Foxlydiate
Hemming Richard, Esq., Bentley Manor
Allbutt James, farmer, Lane’s End Farm
Allbutt Thomas, farmer, Lower Bentley
Bennett William and John, farmers
Butler John, farmer, Lower Bentley
Carter Ann, farmer, Upper Bentley
Carter Joseph, farmer
Cotterill Henry, farmer, Pigeon House
Fortnam Thomas, farmer
Gilbert Thomas, farmer, Bentley House
Gould Richard, farmer, Lower Bentley
Green John and William, farmers, Lower Bentley House
Lane John, farmer, Upper Bentley
Millward George, farmer, Lower Bentley
Nash Goodwin, farmer, Webb’s Farm
Place John, farmer and shopkeeper, Upper Bentley
Penrice John, boot and shoe maker, Lower Bentley
Penrice Joseph, Collector of Rates
Penrice Roger, farmer, Lower Bentley
Rudge Richard, farmer, Hatchett’s Farm
Stanton William, farmer, Upper Bentley
Tipping Henry, farmer, Upper Bentley
Tongue John, shoe maker, Upper Bentley
Tongue Samuel, blacksmith, Upper Bentley
Twitty John, shopkeeper, Lower Bentley
Warmington Timothy, farmer, Lower Bentley
Weaver John, farmer, Leasowes Farm
Post Office – William Lee, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 7 a.m.; despatch 8 p.m.
Carriers – To Birmingham, Cund, from house, Tutnell, Thurs., 6 a.m.; Lee, from house, Thurs., 7 a.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Tardebigg, 3 miles from Bromsgrove, containing 348 homes, and 1922 inhabitants, including Bordesley. The navigation from Worcester to Birmingham, runs through this parish. At Redditch, a chapelry to Tardebigg, is a considerable manufacture of needles, which affords employment to upwards of 4000 persons.
Allbutt John, farmer
Allbutt Richard, farmer
Allbutt William, farmer
Allbutt Thomas, farmer
Allen Thomas, farmer
Ballard Thomas, farmer
Bennett Richard, farmer
Blackall Rev. Thomas
Bradley Joseph, farmer
Bradley William, farmer
Callow John, farmer
Carter William, farmer
Cole William, farmer
Danks Joseph, farmer
Duncombe Wm. farmer
Harbridge John, farmer
Hartell William, farmer
Hemming Richard, gent.
Hollis John, farmer
Jelf William, farmer
Jelf Thomas, farmer
Ingram Richard, farmer
Ladbury Richard, farmer
Lane John, farmer
Lewis Thos. workhouse
Milward William, farmer
Mucklow Henry, farmer
Mucklow John, farmer
0nion Abraham, farmer
Penrice Roger, farmer
Perkins John, farmer
Plymouth Rt. Hon. the Earl of, Hewell Grange
Prestbury Wm. farmer
Steward Andrew, farmer
Taylor Nathan, farmer
Taylor Benjamin, farmer
Turner Wm. Free school
Wicksom Wm. farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820