Suckley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Lulsley and Alfrick are chapelries of Suckley.
Parish registers begin: 1695
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to Suckley
- Acton Beauchamp
- Stanford Bishop
- Mathon St James
- Knightwick with Doddenham
[su_gmap address="Suckley Worcestershire" zoom="11"]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUCKLEY, a parish in Martley district, Worcester; 5 miles ESE of Bromyard, and 7 WNW of Malvern Link r. station. It includes Alfrick and Lulsley townships, and contains much interesting scenery. Post town, Worcester. Acres, 5,184. Real property, £8,421. Pop., 1,207. Houses, 271. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £700. Patron, the Crown. The church is good, and has a massive tower. There are chapels of ease in Alfrick and Lulsley, a Huntingdonian chapel, a free school, and charities £73.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Suckley, or Sukely, co. Worcester.
P. T. Bromyard (125) 5 m. ESE, Pop. 8711.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree; living, a rectory, with the curacies of Alfrick and Lulsley, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 26l. 14s. 9½d.; church ded. to St. John the Baptist; patron, the King. Here are also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, and an endowed school. Courts leet and baron are held annually.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Suckley – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 9 miles W.S.W. from Worcester, and 120 from London. It is a rectory, with the chapelries of Alfrick and Lulsley annexed; Rev. N.W. Robinson, incumbent; instituted 1794; patron, the King. Population, 1801, 509 – 1811, 553 – 1821, 622.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Suckley Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury