Strensham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1569
Strensham, a parish in the upper division of the hund. and union of Pershore, county of Worcester; 4½ miles south-west by south of Pershore, on the western bank of the Avon, and intersected by the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £12; gross income £202. Tithes commuted in 1814. Patron, in 1841, John Taylor, Esq. Here are 2 daily schools, one of which is endowed with £10 per annum. Almshouses for 9 poor persons were founded here by Sir F. Russell, and Lady A. Gyse, who endowed them with £43 17s. 10d. per annum. Other charities, in 1830, £11 12s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £154 10s. Strensham was the birth-place of Samuel Butler, the author of Hudibras. Acres 1,800. Houses 67. A.P. £2,416. Pop., in 1801, 286; in 1831, 328.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Strensham – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, upper division, 5 miles S.W. from Pershore, and 108 from London; containing 63 inhabited houses. Samuel Butler, the author of Hudibras, was born here, about the middle of the seventeenth century, who, notwithstanding he was admired and courted by the Duke of Buckingham, Clarendon, and others, actually died of want in the year 1680. A monument was afterwards erected to his memory in Westminster Abbey; upon which it was observed, that instead of a fish, they gave him a stone. The living is a rectory; Rev. J. W. Grove, incumbent; instituted 1807; patron, J. Taylor, Esq. Population, 1801, 286 – 1811, 295 – 1821, 312.
Strensham Court, in the above parish, was for many centuries the seat of the Russells; it is now occupied by a farmer; but Mr. Taylor, of Spring-Grove, who has lately purchased the estate of Lord Somers, is about to build a modern mansion upon its site.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Strensham is a delightful village and parish situated between the Bredon and Malvern hills on the west bank of the Avon, having Bourn brook on its north boundary; is distant 5 miles S. W. of Pershore, 4 E. of Upton-on-Severn, 6 N. of Tewkesbury, 12 S.E. of Worcester, and about 2 ½ S.W. of Defford station on the Birmingham and Bristol branch of the Midland railway. It is in the eastern division of the county and hundred of Upper Pershore; poor-law union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Pershore; polling district of Bredon; annual rateable value, £3,633; area of parish, 1,800 acres; population in 1861, 279; in 1871, 280, with 57 inhabited houses and 65 families or separate occupiers. James Arthur Taylor, Esq; is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There is some rich meadow land here, and wheat, barley, beans, and roots are grown. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, principally clay. Strensham is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Bredon; living, a rectory, value to £243, with residence; patron, James Arthur Taylor, Esq.; rector, Rev. John Townson, M. A., late Fellow of the University of Durham, instituted in 1862. The church, which is dedicated to St. Philip and St. James, stands on an eminence, overlooking the Avon; it has a chancel, nave, porch, and tower with five bells; consists chiefly of Decorated and Perpendicular work, and has an interesting western gallery, thought by some to have been the rood-loft, the front of which is divided into panels, each containing a full-length painting of an Apostle or Saint, our Lord occupying the centre. Here is a monument to Butler, the author of “Hudibras, who was born in this village, A.D. 1612, and died 1680. The monument bears the following inscription :-
“This tablet was erected to the memory of Samuel Butler, to transmit to future ages that near this spot was born a man so celebrated. In Westminster Abbey, among the poets of England, his fame is recorded; here, in his native village, in veneration of his talents and genius, this tribute to his memory has been erected by the possessor of the place of his birth, John Taylor, Strensham.”
In the church are also some brasses to the Russell family, who resided here for four centuries. There are nine almshouses, founded and endowed by Sir Francis and Lady Russell, for males and females, who, in addition to the house, receive bread, coal and clothing. Here is a national school for boys and girls. The parish register begins with the year 1569. Strensham Court, the seat of James Arthur Taylor, Esq., J.P., .D.L., is a large and handsome stone mansion, erected by the late John Taylor, Esq. Its grounds are tastefully planted, and add much to the beauty of this part of the county.
Postal Regulations. – John Stinton, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Tewkesbury at 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4. 30 p.m. Eckington and Upton are the nearest money order offices. Tewkesbury is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Philip and St. James). – Rev. John Townson, M.A., Rector; Mr Herbert Bennion and James Arthur Taylor, Esq., Churchwardens; Richard Simons, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Miss Brown, Mistress
Carrier to Worcester. – Thomas Long (of Defford), on Saturdays, returning from the Coventry Arms, Friar street, at 4 p.m.
Taylor James Arthur, Esq. J.P., D.L., Strensham court
Townson Rev. John. M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Bennion Herbert, farmer & churchwarden
Brown Miss, schoolmistress
Buckle Joseph, farmer, Ley farm
Bunn George, shopkeeper
Evans John Edward, Taylor’s Arms Inn, farmer and butcher
Hawkes Peter, shopkeeper, L. Strensham
Lee Richard, farmer, Bredon Field farm
Powell James, farmer, Rough farm
Simon Richard, farmer and parish clerk
Smith Anson, general smith & pig butcher
Smith William, blacksmith
Souter James, land steward for J. A. Taylor, Esq., D. L., Strensham court
Stinton John, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster
Viveash Oriels farmer and churchwarden, Moat farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Strensham is a small village and parish, about 5 miles from Upton, with a population in 1851 of 339 inhabitants.
The village, which is a very pleasant one, is situated between Bredon and Malvern Hills, and was noted for the siege is sustained against the Parliamentary forces during the civil wars, and for the bravery displayed by the lord of the manor, Sir William Russell, who also signalised himself at the famous battle of Worcester. This place is likewise worthy of note as being the birth-place of Samuel Butler, the celebrated author of “Hudibras.” He was born here in 1612, and died in 1680. In the church is a very handsome monument to his memory, erected by John Taylor Esq., with the following inscription:- “This tablet was erected to the memory of Samuel Butler, to transmit for future ages that near this spot was born a man so celebrated. In Westminster Abbey, among the poets of England, his fame is recorded; here, in his native village, in veneration of his talents and genius, this tribute to his memory has been erected by the possessor of the place of his birth, John Taylor, Strensham.”
The church is a very fine old structure, containing nave, chancel, and massive western square tower, in the style of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The tower contains five bells. There are several monuments, tablets, &c., in this edifice, which will repay a visit. Rev. J. W. Grove, D.D., Rector; Mr. Richard Simon, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately with Hill Croome.
The National School is supported by James A. Taylor, Esq. Charlotte Ball, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 40.
Charities – There are nine almshouses, founded and endowed by Sir Francis and Lady Russell, for males and females, who in addition to the house, receive bread, coal, and clothing. The other charities are of small value.
Grove Rev. J. W., D.D., Rector, Rectory
Taylor James Arthur, Esq., Strensham Court
Chamberlain James, farmer
Checketts James, farmer
Cross John, shoe maker
Handy Samuel, Sub-Postmaster, and shopkeeper
Grove Elizabeth, farmer
Lee George, farmer
Lloyd James, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Long Thomas, carrier
Patrick William, farmer, The Lowe
Smith John, farmer, Moat Farm
Smith William, blacksmith
Symonds John, Victualler, Taylor’s Arms
POST OFFICE – Samuel Handy, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 10 a.m.; despatch, 4 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Strensham, 5 miles from Pershore, containing 63 houses, and 286 inhabitants.
Bell Thomas, farmer
Bell J. farmer
Briscoe William, farmer
Chamberlain J. farmer
Cowell John, farmer
Firkins John, farmer
Grove Rev. Mr.
Grove William, farmer
Hackett Benj. farmer
Hitchins Thomas, farmer
Lee Aaron, farmer
Limbreck Wm. farmer
Lloyd William, farmer
Proctor Michael, farmer
Roberts John, farmer
Roberts Edward, farmer
Turk Samuel, farmer
Watkins John, farmer
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.