Stoulton Worcestershire Family History Guide

Stoulton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1794 from Kempsey Parish.

Stoulton parish includes: Wolverton

Parish Church: St. Edmund

Parish registers begin: 1542

Parishes adjacent to Stoulton

Historical Descriptions

Stoulton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Stoulton, a parish in Pershore district, Worcestershire; around Wadborough r. station, 5 miles SW of Worcester. It has a post-office under Worcester. Acres, 1,952. Real property, £2,725. Pop., 410. Houses, 84. The manor belongs to Lord Somers. Wolverton Hall is the seat of W. Acton, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patron, Earl Somers. The church was restored in 1848. Derham, the author of "Physico-Theology,'' was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Stoulton – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles S.E. from Worcester, and 109 from London; containing 65 inhabited houses. This was only a chapelry to Kempsey, but has lately been made parochial by an act of Parliament obtained by Lord Somers, by which he is made patron of the living; Rev. William Hutchinson, incumbent. Population, 1801, 301 – 1811, 357 – 1821, 380.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Wolverton

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Wolverton – in the parish of Stoulton, 5 miles from Worcester, the residence of Mrs. Acton.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization, and Military records - Free

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley's Directory of Stoulton 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Stoulton Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Acton Mrs. gent.
Bayliss Mary farmer
Broom R. farmer
Dyson Thomas, farmer
Hemming Samuel, farmer
Hemus Elizabeth, farmer
Hughes John, farmer
Hutchinson Rev. Mr.
Panting James, farmer
Pratt John, farmer
Tovey Mary, farmer
Whitaker Thos. farmer
Woodward Ann, farmer
Woodward Thos. farmer

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Stoulton Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Stoulton is a village situate about 5 miles S. of Worcester, 4 N.W. from Pershore and 8 from Upton, containing a population of 377 inhabitants.
The Rev. William Derham, D.D., was born here, 1657, and educated at Trinity College, Oxford. He was the author of several works of great merit, among which we may mention his “Physico-Theology,” “Astro-Theology,” and “Christo-Theology, a Demonstration of the Divine Authority of the Christian Religion.” He was chaplain to George I, and a canon of Windsor. Died 1735.
Wolverton is a small hamlet, the population of which is returned with Stoulton.
The Church, bearing the marks of great antiquity, is in the early Norman style of architecture. There is a western tower, with a peal of five fine bells. The interior consists of a large chancel and nave, with no monuments of tablets. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the gift of Earl Somers. Rev. James D. Simpson, B.D., Incumbent; Mr. William Simmons, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There is a National School, under Diocesan inspection, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Miss Ellen Smith, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 45.
There is also a Sunday School, at which about 80 children attend.

DIRECTORY

Lowe Mrs. Sarah
Simpson Rev. James D., B.D., Parsonage
Smith Mr. John
Barley William, farmer, Stoulton Farm
Grizzell William, wheelwright
Hands Thomas, farmer, Windmill Hill
Heath John, carpenter
Hemus miss Ann, preparatory day and boarding school
Holmes George, farmer
Loxley William, farmer, Brick Barns
Loxley Richard, farmer, The Box Bush; also of the Court
Matthews Joseph, farmer
Payne Joseph, blacksmith
Ross Thomas, farmer
Sidley Sarah, victualler, Somers Arms
Smith Joseph, blacksmith
Tovey Herbert, farmer
Tyler Joseph, tailor
Wilmore Joseph, carpenter

Wolverton

Acton William, Esq., Wolverton Hall
Broom John, farmer, Lower Wolverton
Hemus Humphrey, farmer, Upper Wolverton

Post Office – Henry Woodward, Sub-Post master. Arrival, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Family History Links

Genuki

The Worcestershire and Dudley Historic Churches Trust Site

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Pershore
  • Probate Court: Court of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Worcester
  • Poor Law Union: Pershore
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury