Stone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish includes: Shenstone, Hoobrook and Stankling.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1601
Stone, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, county of Worcester, 2¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Kidderminster, containing 464 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £15, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains, over the northern door, some small remains of Norman architecture : this was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Chaddesley-Corbet. There are two spinning-mills in the parish. The free school, founded pursuant to the will of the Rev. Mr. Hill, B. D., is endowed with upwards of twenty acres of land, and a house for the master: This parish possesses a valuable charity of unknown origin, consisting of some land, near Stourbridge, containing clay for making fire-bricks, and producing, on an average, nearly £700 per annum, which, with the dividends of about £5000 three per cent. stock, is applied to repairing the church, and for charitable purposes.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Stone – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 2 ½ miles E.S.E. from Kidderminster, and 123 from London; containing 86 inhabited houses. Here is a free school for all the children of the parish, with a provision for the master secured upon land within the parish. It is a vicarage; Rev. J. Plumptre, D.D. incumbent; instituted 1778; patron, the King.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Stone is a small parish, 2¼ miles S.E.E. from Kidderminster, in the Lower Division of the Halfshire Hundred, Kidderminster district. The population in 1851 consisted of 255 males, and 223 females; total 478 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a remarkably neat modern edifice, with square tower and lofty spire, containing a fine peal of bells. The living is a Vicarage, in the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Worcester, and in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. John Peel, Vicar; Rev. Robert Seymour Nash, Curate; Mr. Daniel Oatley, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m. in summer; 3 p.m. in winter.
There is a Free School in this parish, founded and endowed pursuant to the will of the Rev. Mr. Hill; there is also a house for the master. Mr. William Johnes, Master; Bridget Johnes, Mistress. Average number of scholars of both sexes, 50.
Nash Rev. Robert S., Curate, Vicarage
Seager Mrs., Shenstone
Blakeway Philip, farmer, Shenstone
Cole Thomas, blacksmith, Shenstone
Crowder Edward, farmer, Hoo Farm
Crowder Edward, farmer, Shenstone
Dutton John, blacksmith, Stankling
Evans William, wheelwright, Stankling
Gibbon Benj., ironmaster, Spennell House
Jordan James, beer retailer, Plough
Lett John, farmer, Stone Farm
Martin William, farmer, Shenstone
Mayall George, shopkeeper, Shenstone
Morris J., ironmaster, Stone House
Penn Thomas, farmer, Shenstone
Ward Nicholas, victualler, Crown, Hoo Brook
Whitnun Samuel, beer retailer, Live and Let Live, Hoo Brook
Yeomans John, farmer
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855
Stone, 2 miles from Kidderminster containing 59 houses, and 403 inhabitants.
Amphlett John, maltster
Baynton Thomas, farmer
Chillinqworth S. farmer
Cooper Thomas, farmer
Crump John, farmer
Evans W. wheelwright
Giles Edward, maltster
Griffin Richard, maltster
Harrison James, farmer
Horn Isaac, tailor
Jordan John, farmer
Lane William, gent.
Lea William, esq.
Maddox Richard, farmer
Martin John, farmer
Morgan Rev. Thomas
Pardoe Thomas, vict.
Payn William, gent.
Redfern Samuel, farmer
Seagar William, gent.
Seager Thomas, farmer
Ward Nicholas, vict.
Williams Moses, butcher
Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.