Stockton on Teme Worcestershire Family History Guide

Stockton on Teme is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.

Parish Church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1539

Parishes adjacent to Stockton on Teme

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STOCKTON, a parish in Martley district, Worcester; 4½ miles SE of Neen-Sollers r. station, and 7 SW of Bewdley. It has a post-office under Tenbury. Acres, 893. Real property, £1,528. Pop., 129. Houses, 30. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £254. Patron, the Rev. W. F. Raymond. The church is ancient but good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Stockton, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Martly, county of Worcester; 7 miles south-south-west of Bewdley, watered by the Teme. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £5 13s. 11½d.; gross income £274. Patron, in 1841, W. Raymond, Esq. In 1835 hops were cultivated in this parish to the extent of 48½ acres. Acres 610. Houses 39. A.P. £1,307. Pop., in 1801, 108; in 1831, 113. Poor rates, in 1838, £64 4s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Stockton – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, lower division, 14 miles N.W. from Worcester, and 126 from London; containing 28 inhabited houses. The church is an ancient building, and though not mentioned in Doomsday-book, appears of Saxon architecture. Over the arched entrance, is a stone rudely carved, which is difficult to decipher. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, and archdeaconry of Salop; Rev. Mr. Pearson, incumbent; patron, Rev. T. Houlbrooke. Population, 1801, 108 – 1811, 120 – 1821, 168.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch

The following records for Stockton on Teme are available free from FamilySearch.

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

United States, GenealogyBank Obituaries, 1980-2014

England and Wales Census Records

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

United States Border Crossings from Canada to United States, 1895-1956

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920

Directories

Stockton on Teme – Billings Directory 1855

Stockton is a small Parish, situate about 8 miles E.S.E. from Tenbury, on the high road from that town to Worcester, and contained in 1851 a population of 131 inhabitants.
The Church, a small ancient building, dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of chancel and nave, divided by a Norman arch of the same character as that of the south entrance, which has no tympanum. The walls of the nave are Norman, but those of the chancel are modern. The Church is supposed to stand upon the old foundation of a Saxon church, built in the reign of Henry II. Over the doorway is a rude figure, probably of a dragon, on a stone, worked in with masonry, and evidently a part of some anterior design. In the chancel is a raised monument, and a canopy above it, supported at the front corners by small pillars. Almost the entire surface of this monument is divided into compartments, containing emblazonings of various branches of the Walsh family. It also bears the inscription: - “The tombe of Thomas Walshe, Esq., lord of the manor, and patron of this church, who departing this life at London, the 21st of November, his bodye was hither translated the 21st of December, 1593, by his cosine jarmaine Thomas Walshe, gent., his sole executor, the erector of this tomb.” On the floor in the nave is a brass, containing the figure of a man, and the inscription: - “Of your cheryte praye for the sowllis of Willyam Parker Sevyll and Elyzabeth his wyfys, ye which Willyam died the 25th daye of Febyere in the yere of our Lord God 1508.” The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the Rev. William Francis Raymond, M.A., who is also Rector; Mr. Thomas Nutt, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.

DIRECTORY

Cooke William Hyde, Esq., The Green
Bury Mrs. Seabright, Abbotsford
Hill Mrs. Susan S., Albion House
Morris Mr. William
Raymond Rev. William Francis, M.A., Magistrate and Rural Dean, Rector, Rectory
Beavan John, wheelwright
Boddington Sarah, farmer, Manor House
Eaton William, cattle dealer
Fox John, miller, Stockton Mill
Freeman Allen, farmer, The Bee House
Haywood George, shopkeeper and farrier
Matthews Charles, carpenter and Parish Constable
Tearne Thos. M., farmer, Pomona Place
Wainwright Joseph, farmer

Post Office – William Butcher, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Martley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Burford
  • Poor Law Union: Martley
  • Hundred: Doddingtree
  • Province: Canterbury