Stock and Bradley was a chapelry of Fladbury Ancient Parish in Worcestershire. Bradley was constituted a separate parish in 1863.
Other places in the parish include: Bradley, Stock, and Bradley Green.
Parish registers begin: 1562
Parishes adjacent to Stock and Bradley
Stock and Bradley
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Stock and Bradley, a chapelry in Fladbury parish, Worcester; 6 miles ESE of Droitwich r. station. Post town, Bromsgrove. Acres, 1,142. Real property, £2,033. Pop., 310. Houses, 62. The living is annexed to Fladbury. The church is a plain brick building.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Stock and Bradley – a hamlet and chapelry to the parish of Fladbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 7 ½ miles S.E. from Droitwich; containing 37 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 181 – 1811, 227 – 1821, 208.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Bradley, co. Worcester.
P. T. Droitwich (116) 6 m. ESE. Pop. with Pa.
A township in the parish of Fladbury, in the hundred of Osmondslow (Oswaldslow). It is a chapelry to Fladbury; living, a curacy, not in charge, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, annexed to the vicarage.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Stock, a hamlet, in the parish of Fladbury, union of Droitwich, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Droitwich and E divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 ¾ miles (ESE) from Droitwich; containing 91 inhabitants, and comprising with Bradley, 1096 acres of land.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages at Bradley 1630 to 1812
Worcestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and W. F. Carter, B.A.
Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Carter, W. F. (William Fowler), b. 1856 joint ed
Bradley Littlebury’s Worcestershire Directory 1879
Bradley, formerly Stock and Bradley, a chapelry to Fladbury, but now a rectory of itself, is a parish 6 miles E. of Droitwich, 7 S. of Bromsgrove, 1 ½ S.W. of Feckenham, and 12 N.E. of Worcester; is on the eastern division of the county, Upper Halfshire hundred, Droitwich union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Upton Snodsbury highway district, Feckenham polling district and rural deanery, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry. The acreage is 1,142; annual rateable value, £2,434; population in 1861, 310; in 1871, 316; inhabited houses, 67. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and, with Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil has been well drained and cultivated, and the chief crops are wheat and beans. Bradley was constituted a separate parish in 1863, when a new church was erected (at a cost of £1,500) in place of the dilapidated old chapel. It contains chancel, nave, north porch, and tower, with broach spire 90 feet from the ground, and is in the Early Decorated style of architecture, from the designs of W. J. Hopkins, Esq., of Worcester. The living is in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester, value £270 yearly; rector, the Rev. John Home, B.C.L., Corpus-Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1863. There is a parochial school for boys and girls.
Postal Regulations. – Letters arrive from Redditch (via Feckenham) about 8.30 a.m.; despatched at 5 p.m. Feckenham is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Redditch.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist’s). – Rev. John Home, B.C.L., Rector; Messrs. J. A. Gould & Thomas Wilson, Churchwardens; William Badger, Parish Clerk.
School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Lomas, Mistress
Carrier to Worcester. – John Clarke, from Stock green, on Saturdays; Thomas Hunnybun, on Saturdays.
Gould Mr. John Alfred, Bradley
Home Rev. John, B.C.L. (rector), Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Ardin William, farmer, Stock green
Badger William, parish clerk
Bate Thomas, blacksmith, Stock green
Bloxham William, baker, Stock green
Bloxham William, farmer
Brazier George, farmer
Brown Mrs., farmer, Red House
Burbage Christopher, farmer & shopkpr.
Clarke John, cottage farmer and carrier to Worcester, Perry mill, Stock green
Court Richard, farmer
Edwards John, blacksmith
Ford John, farmer
Gilbert Thomas, farmer
Harber Joseph, beer retailer
Hicks William, Red Lion Inn, Bradley green
Huband Mrs. Jane, farmer
Humphreys John, blacksmith
Hunnybun Thos., carrier to Worcester
Kendrick Robert, farmer, Pigeon house
Laight Charles, farmer
Lomas Mrs., schoolmistress
Mason Thomas, beer retailer, Stock green
Molesworth Wm., carpenter & wheelwright
Parker Mrs., dressmaker
Reeve Robert, dealer, &c.
Roberts Mary, shopkeeper
Smith Richard, farmer
Smith Walter, shopkeeper
Turner John, farmer
Wilson Thomas, farmer, Church farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Fladbury
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Pershore
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury